Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 21, 2019, 06:16:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o1SAS8KyMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arJoNK1rm28

Those guys weren't exactly mathematicians, huh?   LOL
Not mathematicians--but as a kid my very favorite.  And I still love their baseball skit!  (Too bad the videos don't work)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 21, 2019, 07:36:59 PM
Not mathematicians--but as a kid my very favorite.  And I still love their baseball skit!  (Too bad the videos don't work)

Why don't the videos work? They're from youtube, so I can't see what the problem would be.

I just found out today that Abbot and Costello are in the baseball hall of fame for their "who's on first" bit.
God Not Found

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 21, 2019, 10:01:48 PM
Why don't the videos work? They're from youtube, so I can't see what the problem would be.

I just found out today that Abbot and Costello are in the baseball hall of fame for their "who's on first" bit.
Wish I knew.  I clicked on the video and it said it is not available. 

There is 'classic'  and then there is 'Classic!!'.  Abbot and Costello skit is the latter. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

God Not Found

SGOS

The Untold Story Behind the Funniest Baseball Card Ever Made
Keith Comstock was little-known as a journeyman pitcher but remains unforgettable for one thing: that photo of him taking a ball to the groin. Thirty years later, Comstock reflects on how he became a minor-league trading-card legend.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27425987/guy-ball-crotch-story-funniest-baseball-card-ever-made

Cavebear

A guy goes into a bar.  The bartenders gives him a drink and mentions that the last 2 customers stiffed him.  So when the bartender comes back, the customer says, well keep $2 of my change from the $20 I gave you and I'll be on my way...

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on August 24, 2019, 09:21:22 AM

Keith Comstock was little-known as a journeyman pitcher but remains unforgettable for one thing: that photo of him taking a ball to the groin. Thirty years later, Comstock reflects on how he became a minor-league trading-card legend.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27425987/guy-ball-crotch-story-funniest-baseball-card-ever-made
The Billy Ripken 'fuck face' card is probably the most famous of the 'odd' baseball cards.

Unbeliever

How much is his card worth on the open market?
God Not Found

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 24, 2019, 01:41:44 PM
How much is his card worth on the open market?
It's on a Fleer card from '89. And there were a ton of those sets made. The entire set (660 cards) goes for about 5-15 bucks for a factory set.  Usually error cards are not worth much--an uncorrected error card is the same as a regular card.  Believe it or not, there are several variations and the most expensive variation sells for 15/20 bucks at most.  Any of his regular cards have a price tag of about a dime--essentially worthless. 

For those who don't know, the card is a picture of Billy Ripken (Cal's brother) from the waist up with him holding a bat on his shoulder; on the bottom of the bat handle one can see the works 'fuck face' written on it.  Then Fleer went crazy trying to fix the error. 

SGOS

Ripken’s card also had several versions printed, all of which, besides the original, blocking out the cuss word. Of course, with Fleer acting quickly to correct their error, the original ‘fuck face’ card was increasingly hard to find and became a lottery ticket among collectors. According to some old-school hobbyists, the original card was selling for upwards of $1,000 at the time.
Not sure what "at the time" refers to.  Maybe cards aren't the collector's items they once were.  I had a few as a kid.  My friends had more. They came with bubble gum.  I don't think there was another way to accumulate them besides buying bubble gum, none that I had heard of.  Their commercial gimmick was that they were "trading cards", not necessarily collector's cards.  Some kids had six of one, and none of others, but I can't remember anyone ever trading a card for another one. I remember some of my friends taking pride in holding certain cards.  I was too young and not interested in baseball, so I didn't know who any of the players were.  A Hank Aaron was of no more value to me than a Sam Jones.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on August 24, 2019, 02:28:09 PM
Not sure what "at the time" refers to.  Maybe cards aren't the collector's items they once were.  I had a few as a kid.  My friends had more. They came with bubble gum.  I don't think there was another way to accumulate them besides buying bubble gum, none that I had heard of.  Their commercial gimmick was that they were "trading cards", not necessarily collector's cards.  Some kids had six of one, and none of others, but I can't remember anyone ever trading a card for another one. I remember some of my friends taking pride in holding certain cards.  I was too young and not interested in baseball, so I didn't know who any of the players were.  A Hank Aaron was of no more value to me than a Sam Jones.
At the time--refers to 1989.  I was selling cards at that time, and the fuck face card (or rather, some of the corrected versions) were selling for around a grand.  I knew it was stupid then--and it still is.  I was a small seller of cards and would usually get 5/6 wax boxes (36 packs) to sell.  I'd open some and sell the hot singles--and Fleer was one of the brands I carried.  I sold most of my fuck face cards (only about 12/15 as I remember it) for 5/6 bucks each--and I thought that was too high then, for error cards (with rare exception) usually did not become all that valuable.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on August 24, 2019, 09:21:22 AM

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 24, 2019, 02:34:05 PM
At the time--refers to 1989.  I was selling cards at that time, and the fuck face card (or rather, some of the corrected versions) were selling for around a grand.  I knew it was stupid then--and it still is.  I was a small seller of cards and would usually get 5/6 wax boxes (36 packs) to sell.  I'd open some and sell the hot singles--and Fleer was one of the brands I carried.  I sold most of my fuck face cards (only about 12/15 as I remember it) for 5/6 bucks each--and I thought that was too high then, for error cards (with rare exception) usually did not become all that valuable.
Quote from: Mike Cl on August 24, 2019, 02:15:08 PM
It's on a Fleer card from '89. And there were a ton of those sets made. The entire set (660 cards) goes for about 5-15 bucks for a factory set.  Usually error cards are not worth much--an uncorrected error card is the same as a regular card.  Believe it or not, there are several variations and the most expensive variation sells for 15/20 bucks at most.  Any of his regular cards have a price tag of about a dime--essentially worthless. 

For those who don't know, the card is a picture of Billy Ripken (Cal's brother) from the waist up with him holding a bat on his shoulder; on the bottom of the bat handle one can see the works 'fuck face' written on it.  Then Fleer went crazy trying to fix the error.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

The Comstock card dates from '88.  It was produced by a company called ProSet, which specialized in minor league cards.  He was a pitcher for the San Diego minor league team when that picture was taken.  And if one has one and you paid more than a buck for it, you were swindled.