News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How to defeat all religious arguments.

Started by 12Monkeys, July 06, 2014, 08:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

12Monkeys

Here is a blog post on the above subject: http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=8854

Do you agree or disagree that this is the way to defeat all religious arguments? It seems convincing to me.

Solitary

If you could reason with theists they wouldn't be theists. Everything they believe about their religion is based on magical thinking and ignorance. It's like arguing with a small child that believes in Santa, or his imaginary friend that brings comfort.
It's kind of cruel, in a way, to argue with theist and make them feel uncomfortable. We are better than that---aren't we?  :angel: :naughty: :smile2:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Best way to defeat their arguments is to not bother arguing..  Piss off works better.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

In order to defeat an argument, it has to be an argument to begin with. Food for thought.

Sent from your mom

Nam

Quote from: 12Monkeys on July 06, 2014, 08:50:23 AM
Here is a blog post on the above subject: http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=8854

Do you agree or disagree that this is the way to defeat all religious arguments? It seems convincing to me.

I think any argument not rooted in fantasy or superstition is a good argument.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 06, 2014, 05:19:35 PM
In order to defeat an argument, it has to be an argument to begin with. Food for thought.

Sent from your mom

A one sided argument where the other party doesn't participate is basically jerking off.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hakurei Reimu

There are many tools in my toolbox, and you're not going to convince a dyed-in-the-wool theist to admit they're wrong. You can, however, make them look extremely foolish. This tactic is but one of many.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Moralnihilist

Is the best counter I have found so far
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

The Rationalist

It seems really convincing to me as well but really I think it's a lot simpler than all that. It's not our job to disprove the existence of their arguments. The theists are the one asserting that these fairly tales exist. The burden of proof is on them, not us. They need to offer up the proof rather than shifting the burden on to us (proving a negative is impossible anyway). The other members are also right that reasoning with these people is impossible. We shouldn't be acting like this nonsense deserves a response.

GalacticBusDriver

Shooting 'em works best. Not only does it defeat their argument, they don't make any others.
"We should admire Prometheus, not Zues...Job, not Jehovah. Becoming a god, or godlike being, is selling out to the enemy. From the Greeks to the Norse to the Garden of Eden, gods are capricious assholes with impulse control problems. Joining their ranks would be a step down."

From "Radiant" by James Alan Gardner

Solitary

:eek: The most expedient and easy answer isn't always the right response, even if it does solves the problem---or is it?  :axe:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

12Monkeys

Quote from: Solitary on July 06, 2014, 02:55:47 PM
If you could reason with theists they wouldn't be theists. Everything they believe about their religion is based on magical thinking and ignorance. It's like arguing with a small child that believes in Santa, or his imaginary friend that brings comfort.
It's kind of cruel, in a way, to argue with theist and make them feel uncomfortable. We are better than that---aren't we?  :angel: :naughty: :smile2:

Making someone believe that hell almost certainly doesn't exist is a good thing for most.

Shol'va

Here's the TL:DR version of the article in the op.
Saying "god did it" or "god is the source" has no explanatory power whatsoever.

12Monkeys

ecksperience

Quote from: Solitary on July 06, 2014, 02:55:47 PM

Agreed. To theists, they have this preposterous idea that what is comforting is what should be and what is believed. However, there is a big difference between what is comforting and what is the truth. Believing in something only because it comforts you is a blind and weak approach to life. Believing in Heaven because it comforts you and it doesn't have any evidence to back it up is a blind and weak approach to life. Hell is actually an exception here, though. Hell is a place of hell fire and torment, but the same religion that reinforces your belief in Heaven also threatens you with eternal damnation to a lake of fire, so obviously you will do whatever your religion says in order to escape. Those are three key components to religious belief. Indoctrination, fear, and emotional delusion(comforting fantasies).