News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Was Jesus a False Prophet?

Started by Solomon Zorn, July 05, 2014, 12:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

Here is one of his prophecies I think we can verify is false:

“Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”
- Matthew 16:28

And he said to them, “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.”
- Mark 9:1

“Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God.”
- Luke 9:27

The “Son of Man” did not return, bringing God's kingdom with power before that generation died. When the last of them died, his prophecy was proven false, because none of them lived to see God's kingdom come.

The only move for a Christian, that I see here, is to say that Pentecost brought God's kingdom with the power of the Holy Spirit. In which case you are left in the position of asserting that we are living in “God's kingdom” right now.

To disprove that assertion I need only point to this:

We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.
- 1John 5:19

If the world is under the control of the evil one, as attested to in the post-Pentecost letter, then God's kingdom has not yet come. So the prophecy is false.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

stromboli

Due to the fact that we don't know if he even existed in the first place or could have been a mere human who claimed to be a messiah or about nine other reasons, the answer is whatever you want it to be.

the_antithesis

"When the prophecy fails, spirtualize the prophecy."

the_antithesis

Similar video to the OP, with some OT backing up the idea that jesus should be ignored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH9Q6ig02P8

aitm

I think it pretty safe to say they were all false prophets.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PickelledEggs

I would go one further and say Jesus never even existed.... but that's just me.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 05, 2014, 02:12:40 PM
What's a true prophet?
Good question. I know true PROFIT is when your bank account numbers are going up. :lol:

Oh man. THE PUNS!!! THE PUNS!!! :lol:

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm going to prophesized someone will post here after me. I'm going to be the new prophet.. Yey me.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solomon Zorn

I was hoping a Christian might respond.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

the_antithesis

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on July 05, 2014, 06:31:00 PM

Because you posted on an atheist forum?

AllPurposeAtheist

Well look on the bright side. You anointed me as the new prophet and I thank you.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Nam

Jesus never spoke one word in the Bible. If the Bible was to be given any credence, Jesus would have at least written one, at least one, book. He wrote none of them.

Everything is hearsay, or just made up.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

stromboli

(Stromboli computes odds of response from a Christian on an atheist forum on a Saturday night)

Can you say highly unlikely?

justme

We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.
- 1John 5:19

If the world is under the control of the evil one, as attested to in the post-Pentecost letter, then God's kingdom has not yet come. So the prophecy is false.

The prophecy wouldn't be false if their god was the evil one. 

Almost every time I check out this site there's a Christian on here.  I was hoping one of them would respond too.  Although I know it would be something silly like their god works in mysterious ways. 

stromboli

I'm still waiting or Rev. 22:12-13

The "behold I am coming soon" one.