Is After-Life possible Atheistically?

Started by flippingboats, July 05, 2014, 01:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shol'va

You're absolutely right. If the question is "is it possible", sure, why not? A lot of things are possible. I'm going to accept the possibility, and unfortunately too many deists/theists confuse accepting a possibility with actually believing the proposition.

stromboli

Mermaid

Quote from: stromboli on July 05, 2014, 12:29:00 PM
Damn girl, you bad. :eek:
You do not want to mess with me. I am more badass than Roundup.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

I am forced to conclude that nothing can happen to us that cannot happen equally to a frog or ant or blade of grass. It is mere arrogance to suggest otherwise.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PickelledEggs

Maybe we are already dead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCdUfAE5Rz8

Nah just kidding. No afterlife. I forget who had it as a signature, but, "you have to be some sort of moron to think that you'll survive death"

flippingboats

Well the only thing that I can't explain is why we get conscious the way we are, rather than simple act like a pattern identifying computer (brain) and act probably the same way, but iwthout consciousness... Why am I here, getting the information of the brain, that's what bothers me. I believe that 100% of our lives (or merely) happen in our nervous system, but then if we ARE the nervous system, why conscious, since that would mean that any material system that has a specific shape (such as our nervous system) in this universe could get consciousness the way we do, technically this could happen at huge scales as well. I don't know, I'm just still confused as fuck.

aitm

Maybe some perspective of "universal scale" is needed then. You do realize that our solar system is but a grain of sand to our galaxy and our galaxy is a mere grain of sand to the universe... so our "universal scale" is pretty much squat. If our planet was an atom bomb and blew up the universe would see a bubble kinda like we do amidst the boiling surf at the ocean. If you thinking we have anything "universal" its that we are aware of it and some think we can have some influence over it...and we do, as much as a dust mite can effect the rotation of the moon.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shol'va

Quote from: aitm on July 05, 2014, 01:19:58 PM
I am forced to conclude that nothing can happen to us that cannot happen equally to a frog or ant or blade of grass. It is mere arrogance to suggest otherwise.
How do you know there isn't a heaven for the grass I cut this weekend? Or the grass that so many people smoke ...

PickelledEggs

Technically, atheism has nothing to do with afterlife because afterlife is not theistically specific and also exists for people that are nondenominational believers and possibly even some nonbelievers.

stromboli

Quote from: aitm on July 05, 2014, 01:19:58 PM

So if I reincarnate the crabgrass will too?

SGOS

Before the Big Bang, there was nothing but crabgrass.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: SGOS on July 05, 2014, 04:17:05 PM
Before the Big Bang, there was nothing but crabgrass.
Yeah, but then Mermaid kicked all of it out

Sent from your mom

Mermaid

Quote from: stromboli on July 05, 2014, 04:13:46 PM
So if I reincarnate the crabgrass will too?
Don't MAKE me come in there.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

the_antithesis

Quote from: flippingboats on July 05, 2014, 02:30:03 PM
Well the only thing that I can't explain is why we get conscious the way we are, rather than simple act like a pattern identifying computer (brain) and act probably the same way, but iwthout consciousness...

That's because you're stupid.

So don't worry about that.