Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

muhammad was a pedophile?

Started by robert04330, July 04, 2014, 02:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert04330

muhammad was a pedophile?

I keep hearing this from people.

I don't believe in muhammad or anyone else but i want to know why i keep hearing this.
I HAVE CANDY

Shiranu

QuoteI don't believe in muhammad or anyone else...

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

robert04330

wow.. can anyone on this forum ancer a fucking question?

or is this just a meme forum?
I HAVE CANDY

robert04330

so i will ask one more time....

why do some people claim muhammad was a pedophile?

I am an atheist so i don't believe in muhammad but i still don't get why people who are not atheists claim this about muhammad         
I HAVE CANDY

Minimalist

Because he married a 9 year old.... or so the story goes.

Personally I think Muhammad is a made up figure, like jesus and moses, who was created by a bunch of tribal shits who DID want to marry 9 year olds.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

robert04330

oh.. well people did not live as long back then so marrying young people was more common..
people would only live to about 30.

this kind of thing went on till about the civil war time in the USA.
The people in my family back in the civil war time got married to a younger person.
He was 30 and his wife was 14 and he got her pregnant then got killed by a cannonball..
I don't see that as pedofile stuff.
I HAVE CANDY

Jmpty

It was pretty common back then.
???  ??

robert04330

Quote from: Jmpty on July 04, 2014, 04:51:32 PM
It was pretty common back then.
we need to stop projecting today's "Morals" on the people of the past.
Be they real or unreal people
I HAVE CANDY

DunkleSeele

According to the Hadith, Muhammad married Aisha when she was 6 years old, but waited until she was 9 to have sexual intercourse with her. So yeah, by the very definition of the word "pedophile", he was one. Of course, at that time being a pedophile didn't carry the same stigma as it does today, nevertheless he was one.

Shiranu

Quotewow.. can anyone on this forum ancer a fucking question?

Yes, we can... however, when you then say...

QuoteI am an atheist so i don't believe in muhammad

All I can think is...

Being an atheist and not believing in Muhammad have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Muhammad was a 40-some year old Meccan merchant and warlord back in the early 600s... he lead invasions of various cities that are recorded, and after his death his religion split into two main factions; those that thought his heirs should lead Islam and those that thought his disciples should lead Islam.

To say you don't believe in Muhammad because your an atheist is like saying you don't believe in Pope Gregory I because you are an atheist... we have actual historical accounts and evidence of his life and existence, unlike Jesus. Nor is he considered a divine being but rather divinely inspired.

Are some of the stories about him likely false or greatly exaggerated? Of course... but then so are those of people from Julius Ceaser to JFK yet people still believe they existed.

Quoteoh.. well people did not live as long back then so marrying young people was more common..
people would only live to about 30.

Not true. Since the time of the Neanderthals, Homo Sapiens have had life spans that could go all the way up to the mid-60s, and the aristocracy like Muhammad would have had a much longer life span generally. He was 40, marrying a 9 year old... and you don't see the problem with that?

QuoteHe was 30 and his wife was 14 and he got her pregnant then got killed by a cannonball..
I don't see that as pedofile stuff.

Women began ovulating at much older ages back then as well, so that is pretty close to "as soon as she can, let's knock her up!"... women are not "prime" for childbearing until their mid 20's. And I'm sorry, but you really think 14 is old enough to be a mother?

Please, take some biology and anthropology classes. The risks of childbirth until only about 50 years ago was the biggest risk of mortality for a woman, and having children before your body is prepared for it only made it that much worse.

Quotewe need to stop projecting today's "Morals" on the people of the past.
Be they real or unreal people

K, Hitler was a good guy.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

The "age of consent" rules are to allow for later menarch due to poorer diet than we have these days. So a 9 yo was about half what she needed to be to actually have children. And Mo would have known this, the women to kept his harem would have notified him when she started her periods. All in all, it's just child rape. And whether or not it was common back then doesn't make it better now.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

robert04330

My ex is 21 and has a 8 year old kid.
I HAVE CANDY

robert04330

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 04, 2014, 05:11:18 PM
The "age of consent" rules are to allow for later menarch due to poorer diet than we have these days. So a 9 yo was about half what she needed to be to actually have children. And Mo would have known this, the women to kept his harem would have notified him when she started her periods. All in all, it's just child rape. And whether or not it was common back then doesn't make it better now.

Its all about what was wrong then.. and back then no one really cared so why should we?
I HAVE CANDY

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: robert04330 on July 04, 2014, 05:20:20 PM
Its all about what was wrong then.. and back then no one really cared so why should we?
Because they are STILL DOING IT TODAY based on bullshit from the 8th century or so.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

My grandparents were married at 13. They stayed married till my grandfather died in his 70s. My grandmother died a few short years later.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.