Could you ever see yourself believing in God again?

Started by ZachyFTW, July 02, 2014, 12:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Giordano Bruno

Only perhaps if I had a brain injury could I imagine myself believing in God and maybe the same kind of injury could make me believe in Santa Claus of fairies at the bottom of the garden. 
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

PickelledEggs

Quote from: DunkleSeele on July 03, 2014, 04:12:07 AM
Same here but, then again, it wouldn't be a belief any more. It would be just acknowledgement of a fact; I don't "believe" in evolution, I acknowledge it is a fact.

Yeah. Acknowledge is a better word for what I meant.

Sent from your mom

the_antithesis

Yes, I could possibly get a shard of metal lodged in my skull.

Mermaid

Quote from: Johan on July 03, 2014, 06:00:06 AM
Much like Michael Jackson, he didn't start out being a white dude. That part kind of came later. Same with all the pedophilia.
You are fucking brilliant.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mister Agenda

Sure. Road to Damascus thing or something like that. My first thought would be a brain problem, but perhaps the nature of the experience would include compelling me to believe it is real. If there is a God, it's more than welcome to convert me in this manner.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Moralnihilist

Sure, if he were to suddenly appear and prove scientifically to any and all scientists who wish to test the validity of its claims.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

SGOS

Quote from: Mister Agenda on July 03, 2014, 09:59:19 AM
My first thought would be a brain problem, but perhaps the nature of the experience would include compelling me to believe it is real. If there is a God, it's more than welcome to convert me in this manner.
Compelling evidence would be necessary.  But all those ardent theists are easily "compelled" by piles of evidence that are nothing less than shabby.  I'll still put my money on "brain problem."

MagetheEntertainer

I honestly never held that much stock in religion anyway.  I used to be a selfish fuck so I would only pray when I wanted something (new xbox, hot girlfriend, bigger muscles etc..)  And I only went to church because my parents forced me to go.  I only ever felt the "Holy Spirit" once, and my faith lasted maybe one week because I kept praying for a blowjob from this girl but never got it :cry:  So no, I really don't see myself believing in god again, at least not the christian/muslim/jewish god

GSOgymrat

Quote from: MagetheEntertainer on July 07, 2014, 07:32:52 PM
  I used to be a selfish fuck so I would only pray when I wanted something (new xbox, hot girlfriend, bigger muscles etc..) 

Cocoa Beware

Quote from: ZachyFTW on July 02, 2014, 12:18:09 AM
I became an Atheist about 4 years ago and I personally couldn't see myself getting religious again. I often here people say that they are a "born again Christian". The meaning somewhat confuses me. Were they an Atheist or Agnostic then picked Christianity? Were they just a bad Christian? I have no clue. I hear more often that people come to Atheism from a religion. I do not often here that an Atheist goes to a religion. I wish I could create a pun similar to the "Once ya go black, ya never go back", but alas, I am not that clever.

Have you or anyone you know ever found religion after being a full blown Atheist?

Assuming you're excluding stuff like atheist religions, I just cant see how its possible, provided you have given the matter due consideration.

Take a panoramic view of the situation for example.

A lot of people believe a single god exists. However, every branch of every monotheistic faith requires that their god possess specific qualities and preferences, meaning every version of god is mutually exclusive.

Ultimately what this adds up to is that if god indeed came down from heaven today, a vast majority of THEISTS would refuse to acknowledge this god in any possible incarnation. It cannot be god unless it meets their incredibly finicky standards, and this always boils down to a specific creed, typically of similar origin... everyone else can fuck themselves.

Thats just one argument; there are many others that make it quite clear that it would be completely insane for the Universe to be set up willy nilly like this.

Minimalist

QuoteCould you ever see yourself believing in God again?

Sure.  Dementia is always a possibility as one gets on in years.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Nam

Quote from: Minimalist on July 23, 2014, 12:24:58 AM
Sure.  Dementia is always a possibility as one gets on in years.

Alzheimer's goddamnit!

Wait...what?

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!