Could you ever see yourself believing in God again?

Started by ZachyFTW, July 02, 2014, 12:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Sorry xtians. I'm far to big to EVER fit back up in my mother's birth canal again not to mention she's been dead for over 20 years and I don't think she would appreciate the gesture at this point.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

Every person that told me that "I was like you for a long while after I lost faith...  I was an atheist, so I know your position" always followed up that statement with something to the effect of "the whole time I was an unbeliever, I felt like there was still something more out there"

SO Every "nonbeliever" that went back to a faith that I've known, basically only had a foot in the door for nonbelief while they were still hanging on to the  faith that they had or wanted.

Sent from your mom

AllPurposeAtheist

Or they were just shitting down your leg the whole time telling you it was just a warm puppy.

Hijiri Byakuren

The question implies that I believed in one to begin with.

I had a 1-year affair with LaVeyan Satanism at the age of 16. While atheistic, that religion is as much bullshit as any other. I have never looked back.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Aroura33

Yeah, I have a friend who was raised without any religion, and found jebus in her late teens (because of drugs and getting preggers).  She didn't reason her way into atheism though, and she was pretty messed up and unhappy with life. She basically became what I call an AA Christian.  People who come to faith through trauma in their lives. 

But for someone who reasoned their way OUT of religion going back, I think that is a lot less likely, though certainly not impossible.  PErsaonnly, I can't see it happening to myself. Even any miraculous event I would be more likely to attribute to hallucinations or if proven to have actually happened, Aliens.  The Q argument gets me.  Super advanced aliens would seem godlike. If WE advance ourselves far enough WE will seem godlike. Any sentient being that attains the power to create and/or manipulate matter and energy would be a god. So no, I can't see myself personally ever going back to believing in Dark Age magic. 
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Simon Moon

I could not imagine ever believing in any of the gods posited by any of the religions.

As far as I'm concerned, they are all logically impossible (by the law of non contradiction).

In the broadest sense, I am open to the possibility that something that might be defined as a god could exist, but it would take an incredible amount of demonstrable evidence for me to be convinced. The possibility of a god existing is so infinitesimally small, that is not even worth considering.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

AllPurposeAtheist

So if I typed the word *poof* (stars included) then suddenly appeared in 3D live on your screen where you could not only see me, but touch and smell me and I started breaking shit around your house I might convince you I'm god. .. Or you would shoot me or both.
I'll keep that in mind next time I type *poof*.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 02, 2014, 01:18:44 PM
The question implies that I believed in one to begin with.

I had a 1-year affair with LaVeyan Satanism at the age of 16. While atheistic, that religion is as much bullshit as any other. I have never looked back.
Same with me. I was attracted to it because it was almost like an anti-religion.

GrinningYMIR

Nope, if anything I would simply believe in ideals and whatnot, or Google

But I don't see my limited faith ever resurfacing, unless it would make my mom feel better if she's dying, which sadly might happen
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

PickelledEggs

I actually do see myself believing in god again, with certain circumstances.... I would need a concrete definition of what a god is, and testable evidence of that.

Not complicated. But you would never be able to tell from the christ-tards that come in here.

Nam

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 03, 2014, 12:10:40 AM
I actually do see myself believing in god again, with certain circumstances.... I would need a concrete definition of what a god is, and testable evidence of that.

Not complicated. But you would never be able to tell from the christ-tards that come in here.

It's not believing in a deity with actual evidence that is difficult -- it's whether or not one would worship such a deity.

I, personally, would not. Not even if they were worth it (in the sense of some kind of "reward")

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

frosty

Quote from: Nam on July 03, 2014, 12:39:48 AM
It's not believing in a deity with actual evidence that is difficult -- it's whether or not one would worship such a deity.

I, personally, would not. Not even if they were worth it (in the sense of some kind of "reward")

-Nam

Yeah because Nam don't take no shit. Right, Nam?

DunkleSeele

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 03, 2014, 12:10:40 AM

Same here but, then again, it wouldn't be a belief any more. It would be just acknowledgement of a fact; I don't "believe" in evolution, I acknowledge it is a fact.

Johan

Quote from: Mermaid on July 02, 2014, 09:00:11 AM
This.
I seriously doubt the concept of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit will ever make sense to me, and I highly doubt I will ever have "faith" that an all-knowing white dude watches me brush my teeth every day.
Much like Michael Jackson, he didn't start out being a white dude. That part kind of came later. Same with all the pedophilia.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful