Government funded soup kitchens.

Started by robert04330, June 15, 2014, 07:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert04330

Government funded soup kitchens....
why are they always run by churches?
Why can't they just be soup kitchens without the churches backing?
Feels like a church and state thing..
because they always preach at you when you go to them
I HAVE CANDY

Nam

Quote from: robert04330 on June 15, 2014, 07:48:36 PM

This one in Orlando forces you to sign a piece of paper that says that not only do you have to accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour, you have to get Baptised after listening to a preacher for 3 hours before they'll feed you or allow you to stay the night.

The hospitality of Christiansâ,,¢.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

AllPurposeAtheist

Pretty basic really. Rubes don't want the appearance of looking like there are poor people in their districts and also a shitload of government money goes to them to fund peachy shit, but to be fair I've been in a lot of them over the years and your belly doesn't ask what religion the food comes from.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Nam on June 15, 2014, 08:00:39 PM
This one in Orlando forces you to sign a piece of paper that says that not only do you have to accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour, you have to get Baptised after listening to a preacher for 3 hours before they'll feed you or allow you to stay the night.

The hospitality of Christiansâ,,¢.

-Nam
Some are that way, but you always have the option to walk away and say fuck you.

Nam

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on June 15, 2014, 08:05:58 PM
Some are that way, but you always have the option to walk away and say fuck you.

Which I did. I almost froze to death that night. What was humorous was most of us who were homeless, at that time (1998), had jobs. I had a job, full time, just no where to sleep.

-Nam

AllPurposeAtheist

I've been there too Nam. If I had a dime for all of them I walked away from I would have never needed the ones I did go to.  Living in Ohio this freezing cold shit gets old. I spent a year in shelters this past year or so and they're all 'faith based', but none required churchy type attendance.

Nam

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on June 15, 2014, 08:13:46 PM
I've been there too Nam. If I had a dime for all of them I walked away from I would have never needed the ones I did go to.  Living in Ohio this freezing cold shit gets old. I spent a year in shelters this past year or so and they're all 'faith based', but none required churchy type attendance.

Freezing for me isn't freezing for you. I live in Florida. You had it worse.

-Nam

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Nam on June 15, 2014, 08:16:55 PM
Freezing for me isn't freezing for you. I live in Florida. You had it worse.

-Nam
Undoubtedly. Below zero with a 30 mph wind isn't the type of weather you generally tell shelters to fuck off in.

shortbusgangsta

Quote from: robert04330 on June 15, 2014, 07:48:36 PM
why not be glad when churches are using their money for something meaningful?

AllPurposeAtheist

Churches do very little merely for the sake of helping people. There's always an agenda behind everything and in the case of soup kitchens they skim off the top especially when it's government funded which it almost always is. Then they sell religion. I've been to soup kitchens and missions where everyone is expected to chip in to 'the plate' and sing hymns to eat.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: shortbusgangsta on June 28, 2014, 05:32:11 PM
why not be glad when churches are using their money for something meaningful?
GOVERNMENT funded. Get it?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 28, 2014, 06:05:03 PM
GOVERNMENT funded. Get it?
I could be wrong Sama, but something tells me the boy is a few slices of bread short of a sandwich.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on June 28, 2014, 08:44:53 PM
I could be wrong Sama, but something tells me the boy is a few slices of bread short of a sandwich.
Workin' with one chopstick.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Nam

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on June 28, 2014, 08:44:53 PM

What's a sandwich? Is that a witch in sand? Would that be considered cannibalism?

-Nam