News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How WW1 Shaped Our World of Today

Started by stromboli, June 27, 2014, 04:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.vox.com/a/world-war-i-maps

Map #24 shows you th how/why of the Middle East, and how it all started.

Map #23 shows the taking of Palestine by the British, which led to the Balfour Declaration and the allowance of Jewish settlement in Palestine.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 27, 2014, 04:42:24 PM
Turkey didn't exist in 1914. It's founded in 1923.
It was the Footstool Empire before that, right?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 27, 2014, 04:42:24 PM
Turkey didn't exist in 1914. It's founded in 1923.

E: As a result of an independence war fought against Ottoman Empire AND Allies.

You are correct. The Gallipoli campaign was against the Ottoman Empire, not Turkey. Bad map, bad.

:axe:

CatholicCrusader

My favorite thing about World War 1 is that it brought about the entire destruction of the Ottoman Empire, the worst Islamic threat our world has ever seen.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on July 21, 2014, 09:16:06 AM
My favorite thing about World War 1 is that it brought about the entire destruction of the Ottoman Empire, the worst Islamic threat our world has ever seen.

A bit of history for you:

The ottoman empire was in dire straits prior to them entering into WW1. As to it being an "islamic threat", the Christian population of the empire, owing to their higher educational levels, started to pull ahead of the Muslim majority beginning in the  Tanzimat period (1839â€"1876). By 1923, only Anatolia and eastern Thrace remained as the Muslim land.

I told you don't play with history here junior.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

CatholicCrusader

I didn't say at that time that they were the biggest threat.   If they had won the war that would have been a different story.  For centuries the Ottoman Empire was the most powerful Empire in the world.

stromboli

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on July 21, 2014, 10:05:30 AM
I didn't say at that time that they were the biggest threat.   If they had won the war that would have been a different story.  For centuries the Ottoman Empire was the most powerful Empire in the world.

Lol. News flash there, Captain Crunch. We have actual historians on here. You want to go back and rethink history to benefit any argument you make, good luck with that.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on July 21, 2014, 10:05:30 AM

What you said was clear, you claimed them to be "the worst islamic threat our world has ever seen." That claim was disproven with facts. Now you wish to backtrack and reverse your bullshit claim.

You do know that you are "arguing" history with someone with a PhD in history don't you?

Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

CatholicCrusader

Quote from: Moralnihilist on July 21, 2014, 11:29:49 AM
What you said was clear, you claimed them to be "the worst islamic threat our world has ever seen." That claim was disproven with facts. Now you wish to backtrack and reverse your bullshit claim.

You do know that you are "arguing" history with someone with a PhD in history don't you?

The Ottoman Empire conquered more land for Islam than any other Muslim Empire or regime and was more powerful.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on July 21, 2014, 11:54:03 AM
The Ottoman Empire conquered more land for Islam than any other Muslim Empire or regime and was more powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

In terms of adding land to a muslim empire that would be the initial muslim expansion from aprox: 623-1050s, which included Mesopotamia, Caucasus, Persia, Levant, North Africa, Anatolia, Iberia, Gaul and Greater Khorasan, Spain, and others.

From The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire(by Edward Gibbon):

Under the last of the Umayyad, the Arabian empire extended two hundred days journey from east to west, from the confines of Tartary and India to the shores of the Atlantic Ocean. And if we retrench the sleeve of the robe, as it is styled by their writers, the long and narrow province of march of a caravan. We should vainly seek the indissoluble union and easy obedience that pervaded the government of Augustus and the Antonines; but the progress of Islam diffused over this ample space a general resemblance of manners and opinions. The language and laws of the Quran were studied with equal devotion at Samarcand and Seville: the Moor and the Indian embraced as countrymen and brothers in the pilgrimage of Mecca; and the Arabian language was adopted as the popular idiom in all the provinces to the westward of the Tigris.

The ottoman empire was small potatoes compared to the expansion of the muslim empire.

In terms of Power...
Yea look at the land controlled and then take a look at the science that was being done by those countries during that time.

Try again junior.

SGOS

Let it go.  It's embarrassing watching you try to weasel your way out of this.

Jason Harvestdancer

The most powerful empire the world has ever seen (in terms of the technology available at the time) is a description that I would apply to either the Mongol empire or the British empire.  The Ottoman empire?  Nah.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Moralnihilist

Quote from: Jason_Harvestdancer on July 21, 2014, 12:40:43 PM
The most powerful empire the world has ever seen (in terms of the technology available at the time) is a description that I would apply to either the Mongol empire or the British empire.  The Ottoman empire?  Nah.

Id go with the Roman Empire(pre split) as the most powerful empire the world has ever seen, maybe the Greeks.

Hijiri Byakuren

As has been stated, the first Arabian Empire expanded a hell of a lot further than the Ottomans ever did. It was something like 2/3rds the size of the Roman Empire at its height. The Ottomans barely expanded beyond the Middle East and, heck, didn't even conquer that entirely.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Jason78

It was all Archduke Franz Ferdinand's fault wasn't it?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato