News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

affirmative action

Started by shortbusgangsta, June 26, 2014, 09:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortbusgangsta

If someone is looking for the ten best basketball players and they are all black men does it make sense to say half of them have to be women and we need a white person an Asian a Mexican and Arab and a native american?

give the position to the person who does the job the best. Duh!If you need the ten best mathematicians and they are all women or they are all Asian give the job to those who do it best.If the people that are applying for the job are almost all black, don't feel guilty for hiring a whitey whose more educated, experienced, or suited for it.

If I was a fat guy In a wheelchair and a fire person was coming to my rescue, would I want a woman to grab me by the ankles and drag my fat ass down a flight of stairs, or a male who can put me over his shoulder and carry me. If you want someone who can restrain derelicts doped up on PCP and stabilize prison riots the average male applying for the job is more suited for that type of work than the average female.

There are a lot of jobs where the women who are applying will do the job better. Its bullshit that a whole gender couldn't vote but if you are hiring people give the job to the person whois best suited for it rather than feel guilty about being prejudice.The other philosophy is irrational and bad for civilization 

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

shortbusgangsta

I cant tell if that means you disagre

Nam

I think the initial point of affirmative action was instead of hiring the non-white person who was more qualified for the job they would hire the white guy who wasn't. If they got rid of affirmative action it most likely would go back to that.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Poison Tree

Al Franken presented an analogy (which I believe he credited to his high school coach):
QuoteConsider two baseball players who tie in a race to first base. However, one runs with perfect form while the other runs awkwardly. Which do you choose? You choose the one who runs awkwardly because when you teach him good form, he’ll run faster than the other player.
To apply the analogy to schools, where affirmative action has mostly been seen, debated and adjudicated, imagine two students with roughly equivalent academic records are competing for the same spot at a college. One comes from wealth, attended private schools with high spending per pupil, had private tutors, SAT prep-class, ect. The other comes from an impoverished area, low spending per pupil, broken home, had to work nights during high school, ect.
Which student gets the spot? How much do these extenuating circumstances influence the choice?
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

shortbusgangsta

I always favor the poor over the rich

But if a man cant pass the firemans  because he cant lift 200 pounds, why hire a woman because she can lift less but pass the female test which has way less requirements.  That is bullshit!  Give the job to the one best qualified for jesus hmyrphy fuck sake!!

Its not sexist its fucking obvious! As a general rule men  can lift more.  Duh!

)there are exceptions

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: suq maddiq on June 26, 2014, 01:10:48 PM
I always favor the poor over the rich

But if a man cant pass the firemans  because he cant lift 200 pounds, why hire a woman because she can lift less but pass the female test which has way less requirements.  That is bullshit!  Give the job to the one best qualified for jesus hmyrphy fuck sake!!

Its not sexist its fucking obvious! As a general rule men  can lift more.  Duh!

)there are exceptions
True. Exceptions shouldn't be made when we're talking about the difference between life and death in a rescue operation.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

shortbusgangsta

Drunkenshoe perhaps u cld eloborate? Or are you from a muslim country that treats women like shitheads?
Well welcome to america.  You probably have no clue cuz affirmative action is limited to irrational first wworld christian candy ass cunts!

wolf39us

If you had to choose between a 150lb next to no muscle non-white guy and a 250lb solid muscle white guy to be a bouncer and have a white majority work-force... would you then be required to hire the non-white guy?

I think when it comes to jobs, the best for the job is always the right option.  If the best happens to be the white guy, then the white guy should get the job.  If the best happens to be the non-white guy, then the non-white guy should get it.

Poison Tree

Oh, I see. Affirmative action for poor people is good, affirmative action for women (at least when it comes to removing fat guys from burning buildings) is bad.

Do you know how few women are firefighters? If we go by wiki's numbers (good enough for our purposes here) we have less that 2% in America (in 2002), 1.4% of professionals and 7.5% of volunteer firefighters in Germany, 3.8% in Tokyo, 3.3% in the Netherlands, and 3.1% in the UK. So, how many of these only have their job because people "feel guilty about being prejudice" rather than the women's abilities?
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

shortbusgangsta

Quote from: wolf39us on June 26, 2014, 02:26:30 PM
If you had to choose between a 150lb next to no muscle non-white guy and a 250lb solid muscle white guy to be a bouncer and have a white majority work-force... would you then be required to hire the non-white guy?

I think when it comes to jobs, the best for the job is always the right option.  If the best happens to be the white guy, then the white guy should get the job.  If the best happens to be the non-white guy, then the non-white guy should get it.
Ill report u for trolling mr. Wolfsack. Nah!  U have common sense at least :-)!  Cheers!

AllPurposeAtheist

Stop with your strawman bullshit of coming up with nonexistent examples. We can play that game all day long of citing the one egregious example, but then we could do that all day long. Ronald Reagan got in the whitehouse citing the 'welfare queen' strawman that maybe, MAYBE was one out of 10000000, but as long as there's one corrupt poor person let's ban all poor people from ever receiving any benefit of society. The same tired argument is used to impose voter restrictions. ONE person MIGHT have voted twice so let's require EVERYONE to pass DNA screening to vote.
Such bullshit..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

shortbusgangsta

Quote from: Poison Tree on June 26, 2014, 02:43:04 PM
Oh, I see. Affirmative action for poor people is good, affirmative action for women (at least when it comes to removing fat guys from burning buildings) is bad.

Do you know how few women are firefighters? If we go by wiki's numbers (good enough for our purposes here) we have less that 2% in America (in 2002), 1.4% of professionals and 7.5% of volunteer firefighters in Germany, 3.8% in Tokyo, 3.3% in the Netherlands, and 3.1% in the UK. So, how many of these only have their job because people "feel guilty about being prejudice" rather than the women's abilities?
Well I recently was picked up by the fire department for vomiting excessively in a public restaurant. the majority of them were women but I will give you the benefit of the doubt that wiki is right.  Give females the same test as males thats all I ask.  All for equality!

shortbusgangsta

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on June 26, 2014, 02:51:44 PM
Stop with your strawman bullshit of coming up with nonexistent examples. We can play that game all day long of citing the one egregious example, but then we could do that all day long. Ronald Reagan got in the whitehouse citing the 'welfare queen' strawman that maybe, MAYBE was one out of 10000000, but as long as there's one corrupt poor person let's ban all poor people from ever receiving any benefit of society. The same tired argument is used to impose voter restrictions. ONE person MIGHT have voted twice so let's require EVERYONE to pass DNA screening to vote.
Such bullshit..
what do you mean a non-existent examples. The female fire enforcement test Is far different than the male.  Where did I learn this?  College. 

Poison Tree

Quote from: suq maddiq on June 26, 2014, 02:52:42 PM
Well I recently was picked opps by the fire department for vomiting excessively in a public restaurant. the majority of them were women
So this isn't really about affirmative action, it is about you being bitter about getting sacked and blaming women.