News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Nixing the door-to-door Bible thumpers

Started by PringleTree, May 30, 2014, 08:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

Quote from: frosty on June 12, 2014, 03:28:07 AM
We have a 'No Soliciting' sign, but of course they just ignore it and ring the doorbell anyways. So over the years, I noticed a tactic that works. I overly pretend to be interested in what they say, agreeing with them most of the time while adding points of my own. These people think they are above others and 'know the truth' so when you add to what they say, they become visibly irritated. So I keep doing it. I use my young, charismatic, semi-sociopathic image to scare them off and it works every time. Just act enthusiastic, make it clear you have a brain of your own, but engage them on a level far greater than what they are doing with you.
I like it but I don't know that I'd be able to pull it off myself. The agreeing with them and adding points of my own bit would be hard for me to do without sounding sarcastic I think. Then again I've never been a theist so there was never a time in my life when I was well versed in their bullshit.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Gawdzilla Sama

If I know they are thumpers I answer the door like this.

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

artifacthunter

I flat out tell them right away that I'm an atheist and they usually look at me funny for a second, like they can't believe it, usually  say it's unfortunate that I have not found the lord or some shit like that and head on down the road.

Nam

Quote from: PringleTree on May 30, 2014, 08:02:16 PM
My elderly mother came to live with me several years ago.  At least a couple times a month she had to shoo away J. Witnesses and others who arrived at my house to "spread the good news" while I was at work.  This led me to (with all do respect to the Five Man Electrical Band) get a nice all-weather metal sign stating "Private Property. No Religious Soliciting".  In the middle is the prohibition graphic of a Bible within a circle with a diagonal slash through it.  I placed it out at the end of my driveway.  This has totally done the trick in keeping away the undesirables. 

Anyone else had to resort to something similar?

I once opened the door wearing absolutely nothing to some Christian girls; they never came back (I guess my body isn't what it used to be :'( ) and neither did anyone else; not even salesmen/women.

Eh.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

St Giordano Bruno

I get the impression many of them have gone through a career change and taken on telemarketing or energy provider reps such as selling solar panels etc, which I find can be almost as obnoxious and annoying.  To come to think of it, I haven't had a religious solicitor  knocking on my door for at least a good 10  years now
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

Savior2006

My earliest experience was two young ladies (about the age I am now) showing up at mom's house when I was 13 or 14. I was still a Christian* at the time, but it never occurred to me that people did any of that door to door shit.  I didn't know what denomination they were, but they were saying some shit about how Jesus wasn't necessarily the last prophet and there could be modern day prophets.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

frosty

Quote from: Savior2006 on June 20, 2014, 02:12:27 AM
but they were saying some shit about how Jesus wasn't necessarily the last prophet and there could be modern day prophets.

So in other words: We represent some dude and we follow that dude so give us some money and we'll go give it to that dude.

Munch

We have a sign on out front door saying the same thing.
I've made a vow if a bible thumper comes round ignoring the sign, I'll strike up a conversation with him, first telling him I'm gay to engage their reaction, and the tell them I'm atheist but if he can convince me of the bible stories being real I'll consider it.
Of course I intend to troll them.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Nam

I found this while looking for those:

(Could be NSFW)
[Spoiler][/spoiler]

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!