George Will dumped by St Louis Post-Dispatch

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, June 19, 2014, 06:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Finally, a major newspaper has axed George Willâ€"and apologizedâ€"for his truly disgraceful column on how "privileged" and merely "alleged" rape victims on campus are often the real victimizers. And are so often "delusional." Why? Because victomhood has supposedly become "a coveted status that confers privileges."

It's the venerable St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the leading news outlet in that neck of the woods, that decided to free Will.

Editors revealed yesterday:

The change has been under consideration for several months, but a column published June 5, in which Mr. Will suggested that sexual assault victims on college campuses enjoy a privileged status, made the decision easier. The column was offensive and inaccurate; we apologize for publishing it.

Now for the bad news: Will will be replaced by the equally disturbing (on other issues) Michael Gerson.

Please support our journalism. Get a digital subscription for just $9.50!

It's worth returning to what Will actually wrote.

Colleges and universities are being educated by Washington and are finding the experience excruciating. They are learning that when they say campus victimizations are ubiquitous ("micro-aggressions," often not discernible to the untutored eye, are everywhere), and that when they make victimhood a coveted status that confers privileges, victims proliferate. And academia's progressivism has rendered it intellectually defenseless now that progressivism's achievement, the regulatory state, has decided it is academia's turn to be broken to government's saddle.

Consider the supposed campus epidemic of rape, a.k.a. "sexual assault."…

Now the Obama administration is riding to the rescue of "sexual assault" victims. It vows to excavate equities from the ambiguities of the hookup culture, this cocktail of hormones, alcohol and the faux sophistication of today's prolonged adolescence of especially privileged young adults...

http://m.thenation.com/blog/180328-major-news-outlet-axes-george-will-over-rape-column
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mermaid

Cue the whining about freedom of speech now.

The newspaper is throwing Will under the bus when they are accountable for the article's publication, too.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mermaid on June 19, 2014, 08:47:00 PM
Cue the whining about freedom of speech now.

The newspaper is throwing Will under the bus when they are accountable for the article's publication, too.
So is Gannett Publications, the parent company.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm not sure if you're defending Will or not. Personally I can't wait till the cocksucker is 6 feet under.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

OK, so the Post-Dispatch ran his bullshit, cut him and apologized.. And the problem? Of course they should have never run his crap, but they did and now don't.

Mermaid

Pretty much. Also George Will is a piece of dog shit.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Mermaid on June 20, 2014, 09:28:05 PM
Pretty much. Also George Will is a piece of dog shit.
I can see what you have against Will, but aside from the smell and occasionally stepping in it what do you have against dog shit?