Don't be an atheist in the WWII US Navy.

Started by Gawdzilla Sama, June 13, 2014, 01:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frosty

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 15, 2014, 06:54:22 PM
That was rather my point. When I was in bootcamp, back in 1969, we were ordered to attention a church service each week.

But haven't you heard the news? The Liberals are destroying the constitution by pushing for separation of church and state!!! We need to save 'Murrrrrica!!!

USN Atheist

FWIW - I completed 20 years in the Navy and was an atheist the entire time.  I don't recall any time I was in where not attending services or not bowing my head was an issue...personally I did not care if it did cause issue with anyone, I wasn't about to cater to the "popular" religion of the day - I was in the Navy to do a job.
Actually I do recall one incident in berthing where we were having a friendly arguement concerning if Batman could kick jesus' ass and vice-versa.  The christian believed he won the arguement and walked away...

doorknob

I know this has nothing to do with the navy but

One time on announcing that I was an atheist I was told there were no atheists in foxholes. Complete rubbish. I later looked up that phrase and low and behold atheists coming out of the wood work who had been in foxholes. None of them were convinced god exists by being in a foxhole.

Solitary

Also, many theist became atheist in fox holes.  :eek: It's as crap shoot in life rather in a fox hole or not, so why would an atheist think that placating a God would make any difference? Are any believers not just as scared as atheists? If they are not, they are insane.  :fU: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: USN Atheist on August 06, 2014, 04:09:35 PM
FWIW - I completed 20 years in the Navy and was an atheist the entire time.  I don't recall any time I was in where not attending services or not bowing my head was an issue...personally I did not care if it did cause issue with anyone, I wasn't about to cater to the "popular" religion of the day - I was in the Navy to do a job.
Actually I do recall one incident in berthing where we were having a friendly arguement concerning if Batman could kick jesus' ass and vice-versa.  The christian believed he won the arguement and walked away...
I retired as a MMC(SW) and I remember being ordered to church on Sunday in boot camp. Later it depended on the command.

@Solitary: I tell people I never saw a god or gods on any battlefield.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Solitary

Unfortunately for them, they did like John Wayne, in movies.  :eek: Solitary

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Solitary on August 06, 2014, 04:48:59 PM
Unfortunately for them, they did like John Wayne, in movies.  :eek: Solitary
My lead professor at Purdue did a bio of Marion Morrison called John Wayne, American. My favorite part was when he nearly got put in jail because of a skinny mule.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

LoriPinkAngel

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on June 13, 2014, 05:37:57 PM
Kid, are you moral enough to join the army, burn villages, houses, women and children after being a litterbug?  I don't know why that came to mind. :think:

Big fan of the Group W Bench here!   :biggrin2:

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

LoriPinkAngel

Berati

Quote from: doorknob on August 06, 2014, 04:24:34 PM
I know this has nothing to do with the navy but

One time on announcing that I was an atheist I was told there were no atheists in foxholes. Complete rubbish. I later looked up that phrase and low and behold atheists coming out of the wood work who had been in foxholes. None of them were convinced god exists by being in a foxhole.

That's just one of many comfortable lies that christians tell themselves. They also tell themselves lies about atheist deathbed conversions. Darwins is a famous example of this lie that still continues to be told.

I think that willingness to accept a comforting lie is a big difference in how theists and atheists think in general.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Savior2006

There are only atheists in foxholes.

If God will protect you, then what's the point in taking cover?
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Savior2006 on August 19, 2014, 12:46:58 PM
There are only atheists in foxholes.

If God will protect you, then what's the point in taking cover?
I had a sky pilot go into the boonies with me once, just to prove God would take care of him. Guess what...
PZ Myers

Solitary

Sometimes it pays to be scared atheist instead of being a foolish theists.  :pirate: Solitary

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Solitary on August 19, 2014, 04:00:10 PM
Sometimes it pays to be scared atheist instead of being a foolish theists.  :pirate: Solitary
They asked me if I wanted to say something at a memorial service for him. I said "YES, OH HELL YES!!"  They forgot to tell me when it was going to be.
PZ Myers