News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Plastic Model Building

Started by Solomon Zorn, June 11, 2014, 07:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

:syda: It's brilliant. To me someone having that patience alone is brilliance itself.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 07, 2016, 05:44:17 AM
:syda: It's brilliant. To me someone having that patience alone is brilliance itself.
Thanks, Shoe.  :kiss:

I've been building models since I was 3 years old. People often credit me with being patient. I don't think of it so much as patience, but rather impatience to have the thing in my possession, as a fully realized icon, from one of my favorite movie memories. And the only way to have it, is to build it from a kit, or pay someone else to. If I could afford to pay someone to do it for me, I probably would. :wink:
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on May 07, 2016, 05:53:22 AM
Thanks, Shoe.  :kiss:

I've been building models since I was 3 years old. People often credit me with being patient. I don't think of it so much as patience, but rather impatience to have the thing in my possession, as a fully realized icon, from one of my favorite movie memories. And the only way to have it, is to build it from a kit, or pay someone else to. If I could afford to pay someone to do it for me, I probably would. :wink:

3 years old? LOL figures.

I am desultory in general. :sad2: I think that is the word. I got a Da Vinci ornitopther -it is a very very easy piece for people like you- from American Museum of Natural History and it still sits in the shelf. May be  I need someone enthusiastic about these things to do it together. Myeh.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 07, 2016, 06:37:58 AM
...I got a Da Vinci ornitopther -it is a very very easy piece for people like you- from American Museum of Natural History and it still sits in the shelf. May be  I need someone enthusiastic about these things to do it together. Myeh.
That, and some glue! :wink:

Solomon Zorn

Finished it yesterday! Now I need a mirror to hang on the wall behind it.

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Solomon Zorn

I added an "in-scale" Princess Leia's ship to the display.

Here's most of the Star Wars section of my museum(living room). It takes up the top shelves of each of several display stands.

Mike Cl

I guess it would be safe to say that you are a Star Wars fan????  I live only 35 miles from Modesto, the home of the guru that crafted this tale.  I could easily scoop up so Modesto soil and ship it to you! :))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 17, 2016, 10:50:41 PM
I guess it would be safe to say that you are a Star Wars fan????  I live only 35 miles from Modesto, the home of the guru that crafted this tale.  I could easily scoop up so Modesto soil and ship it to you! :))
I'm a life-long sci-fi fan. It started at the age of two, watching Star Trek, in it's original run, with my dad. I used to soak up every bit of campy, B-movie, sci-fi that I could get - all the old black and white stuff, and everything that followed. When Star Wars came out, is was more profound to me, than the second coming of Christ. Then Alien came out in 1979, and took it to a new level(The set's were off the scale of awe, at the time)... But I digress. Not interested in soil, even if it's in old George's underwear. :wink:

Mike Cl

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on May 18, 2016, 06:00:05 PM
I'm a life-long sci-fi fan. It started at the age of two, watching Star Trek, in it's original run, with my dad. I used to soak up every bit of campy, B-movie, sci-fi that I could get - all the old black and white stuff, and everything that followed. When Star Wars came out, is was more profound to me, than the second coming of Christ. Then Alien came out in 1979, and took it to a new level(The set's were off the scale of awe, at the time)... But I digress. Not interested in soil, even if it's in old George's underwear. :wink:
Glad you are not interested in soil--I don't not do night soil at any rate. :))

I'm a life time sci-fi fan as well.  But I kept my addiction to books and movies--mainly books.  Started at an early age with Tom Swift--read most of those.  Then found Edger Rice Burroughs, John Carter of Mars, series--read them all.  Oh, yeah, I did make the chess game from the Chessmen of Mars.  That was fun.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

I want that, you crazy-ass geek! It's beautiful, Zorn.

And we use the subgenre term 'space opera' for Star Wars, not 'sci-fi'. Space Odyssey 2001 is defined as sci fi, Blade Runner is sci-fi, Star Wars is space opera. *Throws hair. :tongue:

SGOS

Well Solomon, I haven't put a model together for ages.  I used to it all the time, mostly old bi-wing airplanes that I would hang from my bedroom ceiling, creating an international dog fight.  I didn't care what nation the planes actually represented, as long as that together they provided a feel of chaos in the sky.  Now I'm into boats, and you've got me thinking about a huge model of a 18th century three masted "ship of the line" that must have cost an adult friend a Hell of a lot of money just to buy the kit, and which was housed in a three and a half foot long glass case in his living room.  I have no idea what the kit cost, but I'd pay his daughter who inherited it a thousand dollars and feel like I stole it.  It must have taken a year to put together.  I'm not sure I have the patience to build it myself.  As I recall, it was made of wood.

SGOS

I guess you can just go out and buy one, although it's not as personal:

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Mike ClI'm a life time sci-fi fan as well.  But I kept my addiction to books and movies--mainly books.  Started at an early age with Tom Swift--read most of those.  Then found Edger Rice Burroughs, John Carter of Mars, series--read them all.  Oh, yeah, I did make the chess game from the Chessmen of Mars.  That was fun.
I read a few of Buroughs' John Carter novels when I was a kid. In the 70's, had the comic book series as well. I once found an action figure of the four-armed green guy, in a used-toy resale bin, long before the Disney movie came out. Don't know if there was a series of them, or what. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've read a few reviews that were very positive.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: drunkenshoeI want that, you crazy-ass geek! It's beautiful, Zorn.
Thanks, Shoe. If I had the ambition to build another one, I could probably get some pretty good money for it. :dance: It's built from an unlicensed kit, that was only produced for a very short time, before they got a Cease and Desist order from somebody's lawyer. The kit is pretty hard to find now, and cost's twice the original price.

Quote from: drunkenshoeAnd we use the subgenre term 'space opera' for Star Wars, not 'sci-fi'. Space Odyssey 2001 is defined as sci fi, Blade Runner is sci-fi, Star Wars is space opera. *Throws hair. :tongue:
I usually call it "Science Fantasy", but "Space Opera" works for me.

You don't think it's might be considered a sub-genre, though? I usually think of it that way. It uses a fantastic type of science, but it still tries to give natural explanations for whatever technology or phenomenon it describes. Like how the Force is supposed to be an energy field influenced by microscopic organisms, present in greater numbers in Force-sensitive individuals. Much more believable than magic spells. I think that's why most people still refer to Star Wars, and the like, as Sci-Fi. :think:

Interestingly, the term Sci-Fi was coined by Forrest J. Akerman, whose "Akermuseum," with all it's awesome movie props, was the inspiration for my apartment. Mine is the poor-man's version though, of course. If I get some batteries for my camera, I will post some more pictures.