News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

need some opinions.

Started by doorknob, June 18, 2016, 08:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gentle_dissident

Quote from: KUSA on June 21, 2016, 08:53:08 PM
Seriously bro, the before pics are better. Maybe you should leave them like they are. Just sayin.
I wish people would be this honest with me about my music.

doorknob

well here's one with no gloss. Those other pictures were pretty crappy. I'm still trying to figure out my camera.

doorknob

Quote from: KUSA on June 21, 2016, 08:53:08 PM
Seriously bro, the before pics are better. Maybe you should leave them like they are. Just sayin.

I'll keep working on it then. Thank you for your honesty.

DeltaEpsilon

The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

drunkenshoe

May be you should try a different eye and facial expression design. Like soft and warm? Look for doll face designs and observe how the soft warm looking ones are painted for example.

It's all aout the expression the face gives in my opinion. You can make them cute and softr..warm or creepy and hard looking.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Have you seen these? The whole series is about removing paint from creepy freaking dolls and make them beautiful by repainting differently. It's called Face up stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIfw4r6d0Og

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2MlVVb9TZ0
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

I think the work is excellent, although it's not really my thing.  They don't freak me out or give me the creeps, either.

SGOS

I was with a friend and his little daughter in some roadside gas station/restaurant that also sold other assorted items.  His little girl (unofficially my niece as Dutch uncles are not uncommon among close friends) toddled up to me and gently took my hand and without a word led me to an isle and pointed at a shelf which was way out of her reach, and there was an intricate doll of a full grown woman dressed in elegant clothes.  I picked my niece up so she could see it close up, but cautioned her "not to touch," which of course she wanted to do, but she was very well behaved and restrained her urge.  I think I could actually sense her restraint as I held her.  The doll looked very delicate possibly made of porcelain, and my little niece was at the age where dragging her dolls around by a foot was part of her idea of child care.  I was overwhelmed by the little girl's restrained gentleness, but then, I loved her like my own, anyway.

Before Christmas, I went back to that place to buy it for her, although I still had reservations about the appropriateness of a doll like that for a girl that age, but my problem was solved, because it was no longer there.  The whole situation was one of those experiences I'll never forget.  Seeing the joy and fascination of a toddler touched me, and the way she took my hand and led me to the doll was adorable.

Mr.Obvious

I'm not 'afraid' of dolls. But they do cary an ominous, eerie vibe to me.
I can tell you do your craft well. But this problem of mine prevents me of enjoying them to the fullest.
Sorry, cannot advice.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Solomon Zorn

I think they look great. I envy people who do realistic faces on figures. The smaller the better.

Anyway, keep working at it. It's great to have a hobby.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

drunkenshoe

I think she wants to sell them and I may be wrong but that part also seems important to her.

In that case, it is better to play into mainstream marketing; a larger target group concerning the style and figure out what kind of dolls would sell the best.

On the other hand, certainly the different stuff is always better in my opinion. But is also appeals to a more marginalised group. Like collectors who already have various ones and they also would demand a much higher quality or orginality a whole level of different approach and that is a longer and more risky path. Also thinking about adults buying for kids, different looking dolls have less chance to be picked up, because it is a common tendency nowadays among parents to buy less characterised merchandise of the sort. It feels like people are tired from that bombardment of 'this style of that kind'.

So in my opinion, making dolls appeal to general taste is 'safer', if you intend to make a bit money from it, esp. at the beginning.

Well, that's me I could be wrong. May be I am actually saying someting bad, but I am just thinking of marketing and common appeal.

AllPurposeAtheist

Perhaps you should come up with your own line of over the hill poorly aged Barbie, the story of the former beauty queen still trying to look like she's 16 at 70. Call it Poorly aged Barbie by Hasbeen®. At my age I've meet quite a few women who something like this might appeal to..
I like your work personally..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.