News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Watch this

Started by no-excuses, June 07, 2014, 01:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

no-excuses

Hi all, If you are interested in this interview watch it all. If not I'm just asking you to watch from 22:40 time to 23:15 and please let me know if that is right or wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Xn60Zw03A

GalacticBusDriver

No idea if it's right or wrong. Not available in my country.
"We should admire Prometheus, not Zues...Job, not Jehovah. Becoming a god, or godlike being, is selling out to the enemy. From the Greeks to the Norse to the Garden of Eden, gods are capricious assholes with impulse control problems. Joining their ranks would be a step down."

From "Radiant" by James Alan Gardner

no-excuses

Hydra009

Quote from: GalacticBusDriver on June 07, 2014, 01:13:49 AM
No idea if it's right or wrong. Not available in my country.

If the times match up, it's about Dawkins' religion as child abuse claim (indoctrinated with the idea of hell and the idea that other people, maybe even friends or family, go to hell if they don't believe the right religion).  The "journalist" tries to minimize that by saying it's just "teaching" children about heaven and hell and that's not actually bad, or at the very least, definitely not as wrong as rape.  I dunno if it's worse than rape, but it's definitely in the same zipcode, imho.

no-excuses

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 07, 2014, 01:26:11 AM

If the times match up
No the time didn't match. What i'm pointing at is the interviewer denying that islam teaches that the earth was created in six days. While the quran clearly confirm that Allah created earth in six days and they actually teach that. The interviewer lied.

GalacticBusDriver

Sorry, the segment seems to be edited and makes it appear that the editor is either cherry picking or quote-mining so I still can't say if the entirety of what Dawkins says is right or wrong.

I do personally believe that teaching a child, especially a young child, a religion that condemns people to a place like hell is child abuse. Using fear and threats of eternal punishment to get children to behave may be acceptable to some, but you can't count me among them.
"We should admire Prometheus, not Zues...Job, not Jehovah. Becoming a god, or godlike being, is selling out to the enemy. From the Greeks to the Norse to the Garden of Eden, gods are capricious assholes with impulse control problems. Joining their ranks would be a step down."

GalacticBusDriver

Don't really care what islam teaches about creationism, unless they teach that the universe is 13.7 billion years old and there's no apparent need for a creator.

SGOS

Quote from: GalacticBusDriver on June 07, 2014, 01:34:55 AM
Sorry, the segment seems to be edited and makes it appear that the editor is either cherry picking or quote-mining so I still can't say if the entirety of what Dawkins says is right or wrong.
I do personally believe that teaching a child, especially a young child, a religion that condemns people to a place like hell is child abuse.
That happened to me, but when I was a little kid, I had no concept of child abuse.  I had only one frame of reference, and I just learned that. 

And yes, it's child abuse.  I ended up living in fear for many years.  Sometimes that fear would manifest itself out of the blue and I would dwell on the suffering I would someday endure.  More importantly, I suspect it affected my relationship with other people (which of course was the original intent of my parents and church), but I don't think the result was in a positive way.  It's not like I needed to carry around a distorted sense of Hell in order to properly relate to others.

no-excuses

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 08, 2014, 04:56:28 PM
Yeah this is a good one no-excuses.

I had exactly the same discussion long time ago with a few 'educated' muslims (I live in Turkiye) and I was told the same bullshit. "Quran doesn't says that." And it gets worse. Apart from the fact that people actually do not read their holly book, there are also different 'teachings' based on different 'prints'  (seriously) -I don't call them translations, I don't care they are accepted as- with exactly two kinds of politically correct bullshit where I live. (Probably more)

This is some sort of marketing I suppose. Because there are many people here raised being too exposed to Western culture and although they are muslims (praying, fastening) they are aware it is pretty much ridiculous to people and they are fed with the translation bullshit story (you probably know how often that is used for manipulation), but if you coincide a certain sub culture it changes. There is this, how it is impossible to translate quran perfectly as it is meant, because humans cannot really comprehend god's word? :lol: (I am sure you are familiar with that too?)

:doh:

It's fucking hillarious. I wish I knew about the scripture more though. I even got "Where did you see in Quran that it says it is actually against evolution? Backwards translations and application doesn't prove anything." (This really happened) Lol.
I agree with you. This is a link shows where in Quran it says that earth was created in six days. for reference..
http://www.parsquran.com/data/show.php?lang=eng&sura=7&ayat=54&user=eng

Nam

To the OP: the Qu'ran can be interpreted as Creation (all of it) in 8 days (rather than 6); which could be what the guy in the video was alluding to (or he was just being prejudiced). Anyway...

Surat Fussilat 41:9

"Say: Is it that ye deny Him Who created the earth in TWO DAYS
     And do ye join equals with Him? He is the Lord of (all) the Worlds.
"

Surat Fussilat 41:10

"He set upon the (earth) mountains standing firm, high above it (the earth), and He gave blessings upon the earth, and measured all the things, to give them nourishment in proper proportions; In FOUR DAYS, in accordance with (the needs of) those who search (for the nourishment)."

Surat Fussilat 41:12

"And He completed them as seven heavens within TWO DAYS and inspired in each heaven its command. And We adorned the nearest heaven with lamps and as protection. That is the determination of the Exalted in Might, the Knowing."

--

I've read Christiansâ,,¢ say that that can be interpreted as "millions" and they're just Evolutionists like Catholics and atheists.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!