News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

World on the Brink of Sixth Great Extinction

Started by stromboli, May 31, 2014, 09:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berati

Quote from: Mandingo on June 09, 2014, 05:37:15 PM
Like I said: education is the root aspect of population growth limitation.

The Islamic world graduates huge amounts of people in Islamic studies.
This is education but it doesn't accomplish jack shit, so like I said, education by itself is not the root aspect of population growth limitation unless it leads to increased wealth and empowering women. Those are the only things that have so far led to reductions in population growth.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Mandingo

Quote from: Berati on June 09, 2014, 11:55:54 PM
The Islamic world graduates huge amounts of people in Islamic studies.
This is education but it doesn't accomplish jack shit,

If it doesn't "accomplish Jack Shit" it's not education. That's brain-washing.

Quoteso like I said, education by itself is not the root aspect of population growth limitation unless it leads to increased wealth and empowering women. Those are the only things that have so far led to reductions in population growth.

Afaik the purpose of education, real education, is to increase knowledge and encourage independent thinking. Its purpose is not to "increase wealth and empower women". Those are 'just' (very welcome) by-products. But by-products nevertheless.

Berati

Quote from: Mandingo on June 10, 2014, 04:09:40 PM
If it doesn't "accomplish Jack Shit" it's not education. That's brain-washing.

Afaik the purpose of education, real education, is to increase knowledge and encourage independent thinking. Its purpose is not to "increase wealth and empower women". Those are 'just' (very welcome) by-products. But by-products nevertheless.

You say brain washing someone else says education. I say it doesn't accomplish jack shit, muslims say it gives the the ideal information for creating a great society.
That's the problem with the "all we need is education" argument. Everyone's idea of education is different and everyone says the answer to every problem is education.

So my original point stands. Wealth and female empowerment are the only are the only things that have so far led to reductions in population growth. I've said they go hand in hand with education.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic-economic_paradox
http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/population_and_sustainability/pdfs/Empowerment.pdf
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."