News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

World on the Brink of Sixth Great Extinction

Started by stromboli, May 31, 2014, 09:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aileron

I'm not sure about on the brink.  I think we're in the middle of a mass extinction event already. 
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

The dinosaurs didn't use up the worlds resources so there cheap cars could run faster and lil'billy could get an ice cold soda.

The world could do with a lot less people, and I do mean a LOT.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Green Bottle

Well havin regular wee wars every cpl of years helps ah suppose an then mibbe a big world war every  50 years or so , then uv got disease an starvation , that'l take care of another few millions , an ye never know , that big meteorite is out there an it could make an appearance any fuckin time so dont get complacent noo ok ppl...
An dont forget the fuckin Aliens, they could show up the morra an start fuckin eatin us n shit ..... :pray:
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Mandingo

Quote from: 10 Green Bottles..... on June 01, 2014, 06:03:57 PM
Well havin regular wee wars every cpl of years helps ah suppose an then mibbe a big world war every  50 years or so , then uv got disease an starvation , that'l take care of another few millions , an ye never know , that big meteorite is out there an it could make an appearance any fuckin time so dont get complacent noo ok ppl...
An dont forget the fuckin Aliens, they could show up the morra an start fuckin eatin us n shit ..... :pray:

A couple million here and there is peanuts when we need 6 BILLION less people â€" that's 1,000 times as many! â€" on this planet.

pioteir

Fear not! The NWO committee is working on the overpopulation problem as we speak... it's not long till they figure out the solution and bring remedy to our poor mother earth Illuminati style!

[edit] ...also, if there's too few buffy-tufted-ear marmoset and too many people the solution is obvious to me. We're all cousins anyway so...
Theology is unnecessary. - Stephen Hawking

the_antithesis

Quote from: Mandingo on June 01, 2014, 07:50:31 AM
After mating that's pretty useless, anti!

Well, we do need to keep the species going. And you don't get a baby every time. But some guys knock up chicks like they're trying to form a hockey team or something. This would limit those fuckers to only one chance at offspring. And the chick gets a snack. Win, win.

aitm

If everyone would simply remember that one little bird can put a big damper on the population issue.....the swallow.....

LOLOLOLOL....oh sometimes I keel myself...
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

the_antithesis

Actually, teen pregnancy is on the decline these days because kids are doin' it in the butt.

Berati

Population growth isn't a problem in the west. I'm pretty sure our population is either at a standstill or shrinking without immigration. Population growth is occurring in the third world.

I believe that the way to limit population growth is through creating increased wealth and empowering women. As far as I know, those are the only thing that have worked for limiting population growth.
How to create these things in the third world is the big question.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Mister Agenda

On the verge? I thought we were well into it.

The most humane thing to do with human population is allow it to run its course. According to UN projections, our population will never double from what it is today. Middle-of-the road estimates have global population peaking around 2050 and gradually declining for centuries thereafter. Population will top at 9 or 10 billion, which may still be too many, but at least an end to out-of-control growth is in sight. Almost all the population growth over the next 40 years will be in Africa and South America.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Mandingo

Quote from: Berati on June 08, 2014, 11:57:28 PMI believe that the way to limit population growth is through creating increased wealth and empowering women. As far as I know, those are the only thing that have worked for limiting population growth.
How to create these things in the third world is the big question.

You forget the root aspect of population growth limitation: education.

Berati

Quote from: Mandingo on June 09, 2014, 12:33:33 PM
You forget the root aspect of population growth limitation: education.

I think education is the beginning of creating wealth and empowering women, so they go hand in hand.

The correlation is covered in this wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic-economic_paradox
QuoteThe demographic-economic paradox is the inverse correlation found between wealth and fertility within and between nations. The higher the degree of education and GDP per capita of a human population, subpopulation or social stratum, the fewer children are born in any industrialized country.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Mandingo

Quote from: Berati on June 09, 2014, 01:15:38 PMeducation is the beginning of creating wealth and empowering women

Like I said: education is the root aspect of population growth limitation.