Weird Recent Failed Price Hike?

Started by SGOS, May 30, 2014, 04:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I heard on the radio that food prices are expect to rise.  I buy soda in the 2 litter bottles at Walmart for $1.00.  Two weeks ago, the price on all soda products jumped 50% to $1.50. This was across the board for all name manufacturers:  Coke, Pepsi, Sunkist, Canada Dry, etc, as if the major producers had gotten together and fixed the prices.  At regular grocery chains, the price also rose 50% to above $2.00 a bottle.  So I went to the local drive in where a medium Coke had cost $1.10, and that had gone up to $1.80.

OK, I got my nose out of joint and decided to buy the generic brands, which I don't think are quite as good, but at 67 cents/ 2 liters, they are just fine.  Generic brands, price rebels that they are, did not go up at all.

I noticed today at Walmart, that all major soda brands were back down to $1.00.  What caused the price spike?  A trial balloon to see how much they could gouge consumers that didn't go over well?  Temporary shortage?  Anyone got any ideas?

Hijiri Byakuren

Gouging. I see it all the time at the store where I work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Titty sprinkles.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

That's my first guess, but a 50% increase seems like outright distain for the consumer. 

stromboli

Quote from: SGOS on May 30, 2014, 05:06:07 PM
That's my first guess, but a 50% increase seems like outright distain for the consumer. 

For starters, I wouldn't be looking at much concern for customers from Walmart.