GOP files paperwork to become wholly owned subsidiary of Koch Industries

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, May 27, 2014, 06:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Yup, the GOP is bought lock, stock and barrel.  Still think both parties are the same?
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/05/23/1301470/-GOP-files-paperwork-to-become-wholly-owned-subsidiary-of-Koch-Industries?detail=email
QuoteRepublicans want to get their hands on all that Koch brothers and Sheldon Adelson cash:
The Republican National Committee on Friday sued the Federal Election Commission in an effort to raise unlimited cash like super PACs do.Specifically, Republicans want to be able to set up independent accounts that are unbound by current limits. That would enable them to essentially create their own equivalent of Super PACs, albeit with more disclosure requirement, effectively turning the RNC into a subsidiary of whomever will pay them for the privilege.

Adding to the absurdity is the GOP's explanation for why they are filing this suit:

"The patchwork of limits on political speech undermines the First Amendment and puts high transparency, full-disclosure groups like the RNC on an unequal footing with other political entities," RNC Chairman Reince Priebus said in a statement. "We are asking that political parties be treated equally under the law."Basically, they are complaining that it's unfair that Super PACs can raise unlimited sums from donors while they can't. But the only reason that's true is because that's what conservativesâ€"including the GOPâ€"have been pushing for. And now that they've gotten what they wanted; they're saying that they are the victims of their own success, and so even more clean campaign laws need to be eviscerated. And you can be sure that if they win this round, the next thing they'll demand is that limits to individual campaigns be repealed as well.

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Jason Harvestdancer

White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

aileron

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

AllPurposeAtheist

Yeah jason, only libtards are certifiably honest. Yawwwwn. You're 9/10th rube.

Berati

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 27, 2014, 06:48:39 PM
Yup, the GOP is bought lock, stock and barrel.  Still think both parties are the same?
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/05/23/1301470/-GOP-files-paperwork-to-become-wholly-owned-subsidiary-of-Koch-Industries?detail=email

The Liberals used to be more blinded by ideology but now its the conservatives. They've swallowed a libertarian fantasy and can't see the harm it's doing.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Jason Harvestdancer

Does this mean the GOP will adopt Koch positions like being pro-ACLU and pro-gay-marriage?
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Berati on May 31, 2014, 11:05:57 PM
The Liberals used to be more blinded by ideology but now its the conservatives. They've swallowed a libertarian fantasy and can't see the harm it's doing.

They've swallowed a what fantasy?

It takes being blinded by ideology to see libertarianism anywhere in the GOP.  As Santorum recently stated, there's no room for libertarianism anywhere in the GOP.

Berati

Quote from: Jason_Harvestdancer on June 01, 2014, 12:41:51 PM
They've swallowed a what fantasy?

It takes being blinded by ideology to see libertarianism anywhere in the GOP.  As Santorum recently stated, there's no room for libertarianism anywhere in the GOP.
A libertarian fantasy.

Libertarians are the biggest abusers of the "No true Scotsman" fallacy.
No matter which one you speak to they claim you don't know what a true libertarian is and that all the others who claim to be libertarian actually aren't.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Berati on June 01, 2014, 06:07:30 PM
A libertarian fantasy.

A what fantasy?  You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote from: Berati on June 01, 2014, 06:07:30 PMLibertarians are the biggest abusers of the "No true Scotsman" fallacy.

The "No True Scotsman fallacy"?  You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

Hint - if you meet a guy, born in Korea, to parents born in Korea, to grandparents born in Korea, going back at least 20 generations, with nobody in that lineage even having visited Scotland, it is very unlikely that you can say he is a Scotsman.  Sometimes a person really actually honestly isn't a Scotsman.

But then a conservative reactionary Republican like you would never realize that.  Now I dare you to tell me you aren't a conservative reactionary Republican so that I can accuse you of using the No True Scotsman fallacy.

Quote from: Berati on June 01, 2014, 06:07:30 PMNo matter which one you speak to they claim you don't know what a true libertarian is and that all the others who claim to be libertarian actually aren't.

When a conservative says "nope, libertarians don't belong in my Republican party", it's not just the libertarians who recognize the two are different.

The illusion has been gone for a long time. It has been revealed that those of a libertarian persuasion are not wanted in the GOP.  The GOP does not want the participation of libertarians.  There is no patching it up, plastering it over, and hoping that the illusion can be recreated from nothing.  That is like saying you can try to fix a balloon by wrapping it in sufficient layers of cheese cloth.  That is like saying that after a house is completely collapsed all it needs is a fresh coat of paint.  Sorry, the illusion of common ground disappeared a long time ago.  There is no educated person remaining who still believes the illusion.  It is gone.

I know, it is your duty to report as if the illusion remained.  But it doesn't.  And even you know it.

Berati

Quote from: Jason_Harvestdancer on June 01, 2014, 06:37:10 PM
A what fantasy?  You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.
There’s that No true Scotsman fallacy again.
I’ll repeat… A libertarian fantasy.

QuoteThe "No True Scotsman fallacy"?  You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.
It’s a not a word. It’s a fallacy that applies to libertarians.

Hint. If a libertarian claims that a stop sign is a violation of his rights, another libertarian will tell you that of course libertarians accept certain basic regulations. That other guy was no true libertarian.

QuoteBut then a conservative reactionary Republican like you would never realize that.  Now I dare you to tell me you aren't a conservative reactionary Republican so that I can accuse you of using the No True Scotsman fallacy.
Why do you keep trying to guess what I am? Didn’t you incorrectly guess I went to public school?

QuoteI know, it is your duty to report as if the illusion remained.  But it doesn't.  And even you know it.

Conservatives have been backing every libertarian view. That regulations are bad, government is bad, taxes are theft, and so on down the line of every libertarian claim.

But let me guess! They’re not true libertarian views because true libertarians don’t express those views in exactly those ways, therefore those aren't true libertarian views. 
Only true libertarians know what libertarian means.

I've been down this useless road many times.
Carl Sagan

AllPurposeAtheist

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Berati on June 02, 2014, 12:06:14 AMConservatives have been backing every libertarian view. That regulations are bad, government is bad, taxes are theft, and so on down the line of every libertarian claim.

Not only are libertarians consistently against war, not just against it when the wrong person is in office...
Not only are libertarians against the drug war...
Not only were libertarians in favor of gay marriage before the progressives were...
Not only were libertarians in favor of interracial marriage before the progressives were...
Not only do libertarians want to legalize prostitution...
Not only are libertarians even stronger in defense of the 1st Amendment...
Not only do libertarians oppose every single instance of police abuse that libertarians become aware of (which in this day and age can lead to outrage fatigue because these instances are far too common)...
Not only do libertarians want to slash the military budget...
Not only are a super-majority of libertarians pro-choice...
Not only are libertarians opposed to business subsidies...
Not only are libertarians opposed to business bailouts...
Not only are libertarians opposed to corporate welfare...

The real gripe that conservatives and progressives have with libertarians is that libertarians won't admit that libertarians are conservatives.

Quote from: Berati on June 02, 2014, 12:06:14 AMBut let me guess! They’re not true libertarian views because true libertarians don’t express those views in exactly those ways, therefore those aren't true libertarian views. 
Only true libertarians know what libertarian means.

I've been down this useless road many times.

Really?

In that case you would know by now what a real libertarian view is.   The evidence does not indicate.

Oh, and I wasn't guessing that you were a conservative reactionary Republican.  I know you're not.  I was calling you one in order to get you to deny that you are one so that I could accuse you of trying to play the No True Scotsman fallacy.

Jason Harvestdancer

Berati

Quote from: Jason_Harvestdancer on June 02, 2014, 09:23:26 AM
Not only are libertarians consistently against war, not just against it when the wrong person is in office...
Not only are libertarians against the drug war...
Not only were libertarians in favor of gay marriage before the progressives were...
Not only were libertarians in favor of interracial marriage before the progressives were...
Not only do libertarians want to legalize prostitution...
Not only are libertarians even stronger in defense of the 1st Amendment...
Not only do libertarians oppose every single instance of police abuse that libertarians become aware of (which in this day and age can lead to outrage fatigue because these instances are far too common)...
Not only do libertarians want to slash the military budget...
Not only are a super-majority of libertarians pro-choice...
Not only are libertarians opposed to business subsidies...
Not only are libertarians opposed to business bailouts...
Not only are libertarians opposed to corporate welfare...

Not only are libertarians presenting taxes as theft
Not only are libertarians in favor of laissez faire capitalism
Not only are libertarians in favour of abolishing all government assistance
(All conservative talking points)

I'm not making the point that conservatives = libertarians but rather that many conservatives have fallen hook line and sinker for the libertarian fantasy that government is always the problem and the government is to blame for whatever is making you unhappy.

Libertarianism is a religion chasing a utopia.
It is no surprise that libertarians will never admit that another party has tried to use some of their central views (like those listed above) but that those failures don't count because they weren't true libertarians.

QuoteIn that case you would know by now what a real libertarian view is.   The evidence does not indicate.

QuoteA libertarian fantasy.

Libertarians are the biggest abusers of the "No true Scotsman" fallacy.
No matter which one you speak to they claim you don't know what a true libertarian is and that all the others who claim to be libertarian actually aren't.

Carl Sagan