News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Patriotism

Started by aitm, May 25, 2014, 10:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on May 26, 2014, 08:21:26 PM
Thats the point APA, cherish and worship and hail those who are normal,,,,if yer missing body parts,,,well,,, you're just  expendable,
Okay, so I'm expendable. You make me feel special.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 26, 2014, 09:00:19 PM
Okay, so I'm expendable. You make me feel special.

This is not about you or the tens of thousand of those like you. Get off the horse. I issued the obligatory disclaimers in a perfectly ambigous intro.........

so there.......I still love you....in a non faggy way of course.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on May 26, 2014, 09:37:58 PM
This is not about you or the tens of thousand of those like you. Get off the horse. I issued the obligatory disclaimers in a perfectly ambigous intro.........

so there.......I still love you....in a non faggy way of course.
Prove it and blow me.

In a non-faggy way, of course.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 26, 2014, 10:03:33 PM
Prove it and blow me.

In a non-faggy way, of course.

thats why yer so gotdamn annoyin......yer so fuckin demandin.....

:flowers:
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

It might have a dictionary meaning, but when I see nutters like the oathkeepers waving flags and calling themselves patriots it has been taken so far out of context it has become meaningless.

AllPurposeAtheist

I did my patriotic duty and watched Chinese made fireworks outside my window at Hunington Field where the Columbus Clippers play about 6 blocks away from here.  They set em off whenever they win so I'm especially patriotic..... I guess.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 26, 2014, 06:42:03 PM
Just watched a CNN puff piece about a guy who got both legs blown off and now he jumps out of airplanes and everything is peachy, but what the message is really is if you have any problems with the military it's YOUR problem so suck it up and be a tough guy. How patriotic to tell us that men and women who serve and who do have problems with health, mental health, etc., are just pussies and not as tough as this guy. Patroitically suck it up. Fuck you CNN.
I've been called a coward because I have PTSD from military psychiatrists-----------once! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

I pretty much use the words patriotism and jingoism interchangeably.  I don't see much difference between the two.  Patriotism, like jingoism, is not something I view as positive.  They both are used to reinforce tribal values, one of mankind's least cerebral pursuits.

SGOS

Before I posted the patriotism/jingoism thoughts, I read that Wikipedia article.  There are subtle differences between the two in my mind, but I think they have more similarities than differences.

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

aileron

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 27, 2014, 09:57:27 AM3 million civilians are dead because of Afghanistan and Iraq 'fiasco' of USA supported by other countries...

Where did you get this number?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

aileron

Quote from: SGOS on May 27, 2014, 08:31:30 AM
Before I posted the patriotism/jingoism thoughts, I read that Wikipedia article.  There are subtle differences between the two in my mind, but I think they have more similarities than differences.

In practice today the differences are too subtle for me.  When people accuse others of being unpatriotic because they don't support a foreign war, the distinction between patriotic and jingoistic has lost all meaning.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

AllPurposeAtheist

Wow shoe. I guess this means we're not going to get to hear your Ethel Murman impersonation singing God Bless America, huh? :eek:

La Dolce Vita

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 27, 2014, 06:59:27 AM
Sounds very 'reasonable' and 'correct', actually feels 'right', doesn't it? What fucking bullshit.

You are basically defining some sort of religion or even a god and urge people to take an apologist position when it fails and then call it 'improvement and development' if they are able to recognise its failure. 

Congratulations, you are supporting the number one cause why humanity cannot reach in any real civilisation level

It was actually supposed to be a "fuck you", from me to patriotism. Patriotism is utter pathetic shit. What I wrote that's good and useful is not patriotism - it's just caring about the society you live in, which is the sane and moral thing to do.

A religion? None of what you write makes any sense, and is just pure laughable BS. WTF?

AllPurposeAtheist

It was humor shoe.. I'm more or less on the same plane with you about this nonsense of patrotism.
Ethel Murman had a loud obnoxious voice that I know you don't have. :lol: