Illinois Senate approves gay marriage

Started by Valigarmander, February 14, 2013, 07:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valigarmander

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/poli ... 9022.story

QuoteSPRINGFIELD — The Democratic-led Senate delivered a Valentine's Day victory to gay and lesbian couples today, passing legislation for the first time that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

The gay marriage measure now goes to the House, where the fight is expected to be tougher. Gov. Pat Quinn is expected to sign the bill if it reaches his desk.

The 34-21-2 Senate vote represents a turnaround of sorts after advocates unsuccessfully sought to push a gay marriage bill through last month's lame-duck legislative session. Supporters vowed to try again quickly with a new General Assembly that featured even more Democratic seats in both chambers.

Under the measure, marriage officially would be changed in state law from an act between a man and a woman to two people. The legislation explicitly says nothing in the proposed law would force a religious denomination or minster to "solemnize any marriage." People in civil unions would be able to convert them to gay marriages within a year of a same-sex marriage law going on the books in Illinois.

While advocates have brought forth a lengthy line-up of religious leaders who have endorsed same-sex marriage, Catholics and other church groups have provided fierce opposition. They have argued same-sex marriage goes against the basic tenets of the Bible, which call for marriage to be only between a man and woman. Two years ago, Illinois legalized civil unions for straight and gay couples.

Sen. Heather Steans, who sponsored the measure, argued the legislation is needed because it is time for Illinois to eliminate the "second-class status" of gay and lesbian couples.

The Chicago Democrat pleaded with colleages for support for the legislation because same-sex couples want to marry for the same reasons as heterosexual couples, including love.

The law will not require ministers to perform a marriage of gay couples. Nor will church officials have to require facilities of churches, such as parish or fellowship halls, to be used by gay couples against the wishes of a religious group, Steans said.

Republican Sen. Tim Bivins, a former sheriff from Dixon who occasionally preaches from a church pulpit, argued vehemently against allowing same-sex couples to wed.

Bivins sought to buttress his position with historical comments ranging from those of Thomas Jefferson, one of the nation's founders,  to Jesus Christ and Elijah, major figures in the Bible's New and Old Testaments.

"We're knocking down one of the basic foundations of society," Bivins said.

Pointing to changing attitudes in society, Bivins also lambasted Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's comments last summer in which he said some statements against gay marriage by Chick-fil-A's president do not represent "our values" in Chicago.

Democratic Sen. William Haine of Alton, a former state's attorney from Madison County, joined in the criticism of the legislation, calling it a "profound change."

"We are doing it on the basis of emotion and the needs of citizens who actively vote," said Haine. He complained the bill falls short of protecting churches from being forced to engage in what they view as "sacrilegious."

But Sen. Martin Sandoval, D-Chicago, called this particular Valentine's Day a "day of celebration," saying support for gay marriage is a decisive action to break down barriers that have prevented some Illinois citizens from getting the justice they deserve.

"This is a bill that is a defining moment here in this state," Sandoval said, asking "why is it so wrong?" to help lifte partners share insurance and retirement benefits.

Lashing out at Catholics and other church officials that strongly opposed the legislation, Sandoval said, "our religious leaders have failed us."

He argued the greatest message that Jesus left his followers was to "love one another" and that the legislation would help fulfill that vision--an interpretation disputed heavily by clergy and legislative opponents.

Sen. Dale Righter, R-Mattoon, said the changes represent a "danger" because it will "abrogate the mission of the church." He contended church officials who fear what will happen because of the law will pull back their outreach efforts.

Good job, Illinois.

The Skeletal Atheist

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

NitzWalsh

Awesome.

I have to comment on some stuff in this article.

Quote"We're knocking down one of the basic foundations of society," Bivins said.

Sometimes knocking down basic foundations of society is a necessity when that society has been wrong for so long. I'm sure people said things of a similar nature when they abolished slavery and again when they finally let blacks use the same freaking drinking fountain, or when they let women vote.

Quote"We are doing it on the basis of emotion and the needs of citizens who actively vote," said Haine. He complained the bill falls short of protecting churches from being forced to engage in what they view as "sacrilegious."

I highly doubt that this is going to force churches that don't want to perform gay marriages to perform said unions. Besides, if a church out there has some anti-gay stance and makes it known I highly doubt any couple would get married there, unless they just want to screw with people, which is always fun.

QuoteLashing out at Catholics and other church officials that strongly opposed the legislation, Sandoval said, "our religious leaders have failed us."

That's not the only way they've failed you, but that's something for other topics.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

Mathias

If not for that "big brother is in heaven" (which is not anywhere obvious!) This fake moralism, all prejudice and violence that has already generated, would be infinitely smaller.
"There is no logic in the existence of any god".
Myself.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"What a great fucking Valentine! Awesome!

Yes.  Most excellent!!
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

SGOS

Wow, I had heard nothing about this coming in Illiniois.  It seems like an upheaval in society is finally taking place, like we are close to the point of critical mass.  Up until a year ago, it seemed like gays were losing one battle after another.  These liberal states are still a minority, but it feels like definate change.

BarkAtTheMoon

I posted a thread about it right before the forum maintenance started that should be over in the archive. There's something like 5 other states with legislation about it coming soon, including my home state which currently has civil unions. I think you're absolutely right about critical mass, though the churchies are still going to fight it tooth and nail. The ball is rolling down the hill, and there's no stopping it at this point.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

Colanth

Quote from: "Valigarmander"
QuoteSen. Dale Righter, R-Mattoon, said the changes represent a "danger" because it will "abrogate the mission of the church." He contended church officials who fear what will happen because of the law will pull back their outreach efforts.

Since when is the State in the business of supporting "the mission of the church"?  And how can a law "do away with" (abrogate) what the church considers to be its mission?  If the church can't consider something to be its mission without a law supporting that to be its mission, that church is a pretty poor church.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"I posted a thread about it right before the forum maintenance started that should be over in the archive. There's something like 5 other states with legislation about it coming soon, including my home state which currently has civil unions. I think you're absolutely right about critical mass, though the churchies are still going to fight it tooth and nail. The ball is rolling down the hill, and there's no stopping it at this point.
Yeah, we're definitely winning. The only thing that would stop us now is if our progress got so good that apathy set in before we've completely won this. If even one state has discriminatory marriage laws, then we still need to fight like hell.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Thumpalumpacus

Good stuff.  Slowly but surely, the dike is crumbling.
<insert witty aphorism here>