Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Yet another mass shooting

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, May 24, 2014, 09:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on May 29, 2014, 04:36:52 PM
argumentum ad absurdum

Take Canada as an example: it has app. 100 deads due to firearms per year. The US has ten times the population of Canada, it should have app. 1,000 deads, instead it has 10,000/year. If you include accidents and suicides, that number shoots up to 40,000/year. It's true that it is people who kill people, not guns, but those numbers for the US, which are way off the chart when compared with other countries, are in need of an explanation.

Shiranu

Quote from: Savior2006 on May 31, 2014, 01:32:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPFcspwbrq8&bpctr=1401516107

Woah, I have not seen Laci Green in ages. Very good video, basically covered all my complaints about aftermath of this.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jmpty

From the Onion:

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
NEWS IN BRIEF • Guns • Violence • News • ISSUE 50•21 • May 27, 2014

ISLA VISTA, CAâ€"In the days following a violent rampage in southern California in which a lone attacker killed seven individuals, including himself, and seriously injured over a dozen others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Tuesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said North Carolina resident Samuel Wipper, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this guy from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what he really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past five years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”
???  ??

StupidWiz

What are your thoughts about this vid? Apparently according to her, feminists are using this incident to push their agenda. CMIIW
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

Shiranu

Quote from: StupidWiz on May 31, 2014, 10:10:55 AM

What are your thoughts about this vid? Apparently according to her, feminists are using this incident to push their agenda. CMIIW

As a feminist; I am not using the event itself, I am using people's reactions of, "What he did was understandable" to "push my agenda".

I generally like Jaclyn's videos, but wow... she dropped the ball with that video. She said the shit that has annoyed me time and time again with atheists... for anything else, "NO, NO, NO! The individual is FULLY responsible for his actions!"... yet when religion comes up... "Welllll... religion was probably a big reason!".

The double standard with that is so damn annoying, especially when she just got done talking about twisting events to fit your own agendas.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

StupidWiz

Yeah, I agree more with Laci than her. I can't quite put it in words, but there's definitely something wrong with how society treat men and women. :/
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Shiranu on May 31, 2014, 10:27:23 AM
As a feminist; I am not using the event itself, I am using people's reactions of, "What he did was understandable" to "push my agenda".

I generally like Jaclyn's videos, but wow... she dropped the ball with that video. She said the shit that has annoyed me time and time again with atheists... for anything else, "NO, NO, NO! The individual is FULLY responsible for his actions!"... yet when religion comes up... "Welllll... religion was probably a big reason!".

The double standard with that is so damn annoying, especially when she just got done talking about twisting events to fit your own agendas.

I picked up on that too. I do agree with her mostly and think this case isn't a very good example of misogyny in American society because it involves a single mentally ill person, an outlier, and therefore it is easily dismissed. The misogynistic responses to this case are more endemic than the case itself.

frosty

This happens all the time now. Like the sun coming up in the morning or someone taking a shower. So yeah.