News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Yet another mass shooting

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, May 24, 2014, 09:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Mermaid on May 28, 2014, 08:03:24 AM
His own parents reported his very disturbing YouTube videos and he was investigated, and deemed a "nice" man by the authorities.
Rich kid, broken family, raised by nannies. To big to fail.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

The most disturbing thing to me is that parts of the media have managed to lay blame on the victims. Attacking feminism and the right of women to choose their sexual partners versus making themselves available and being virginal princesses. This whole thing shows how misogynistic our society still is.

KUSA

I blame the knives. Them God dammed fucking knives!

stromboli

Quote from: KUSA on May 29, 2014, 11:43:58 AM
I blame the knives. Them God dammed fucking knives!

Sshhhh....... Nobody gets my Cold Steel Trailmaster!

KUSA

I have one of those too. Mine's not evil though. I only use it for cuttin twigs and shit.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: stromboli on May 29, 2014, 11:46:17 AM
Sshhhh....... Nobody gets my Cold Steel Trailmaster!

I always wanted a Trailmaster, but never got around to it. I do however have a Recon Scout, ATC, Mater hunter and a SRK.

Funny story. (For me anyway) A couple of weeks ago I gathered up all Mom's kitchen knives and carried them down to one of the local knife shops to have them sharpened. I parked right in front of a big banner hanging in front of the store advertising a Benchmade sale. The banner had a couple of knife silhouettes on it. When I got inside I asked the owner if it was bad that I recognized one of the silhouettes on the Benchmade sign as a Cold Steel Recon Scout? He laughed and said no, but he had been using the same banner a couple of times a year for several years and no one else had ever commented on the mistake.

Pictured below are a Recon Scout, Trailmaster, Kukri and an All Terrian Chopper (ATC). The ATC has been out of production for years, rare and a good one is worth more now than it was new.

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Solitary

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 25, 2014, 02:31:56 AM
I think the first problem is the solid perception of Americans that everyone shooting around is just nuts, because you know, a fire arm is just like a tool like a knife or a car or a hammer...etc. The idea that it's only humans, but not the 'tool'. LOL.

You are correct! And all those tools can kill also, however it is hard to kill with a knife or hammer with a drive by.  With your kind of logic if everyone had a bazooka, atom bomb, flame thrower we would be safer. Guns make it very easy to kill, accidently or on purpose. It's not that we shouldn't have guns, but are we safer with every Tom Dick and dirty Harry having one? People kill, that's why they shouldn't have guns that make it unsafe for everyone, with or without a gun. I have a gun, but the odds of me actually needing it to protect myself are slim where I live, but of course if I did need it I would be glad I had it and was able to get to it in time. The town I came from, Joliet Illinois south of Chicago, I would have a conceal permit because of all the shootings and dangerous places there. It's true that Chicago has the toughest gun laws and most shootings, but the criminals buy their guns outside of Chicago. What is wrong with regulating sales everywhere? Even if one life is saved by it I think it is worth it.  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jesus

My cousin attends UCSB (University of California - Santa Barbara) and is a freshmen. Definitely a terrible time. I'm attending UCI and we've been holding processions to shoulder some of the burden.
I like to appear in various forms, but my favorite is as a toast.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Solitary on May 29, 2014, 01:02:58 PM
With your kind of logic if everyone had a bazooka, atom bomb, flame thrower we would be safer.

argumentum ad absurdum
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

AllPurposeAtheist

Ok, fuck everyone! You'll have to pry this out of my cold dead hands because if you ban these only outlaw coffee drinkers will have em! :snooty:

Look, this primarily is about common sense, a phrase that ought to be banned, but ya think perhaps crazy bastards ought to not have guns? Sure, some people who are diagnosed with minor depression might not be able to buy an AK47 but tough shit. If you've threatended to kill innocent people I'm sorry, you don't need a fucking gun. You need 3 hots and a cot.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PringleTree

Quote from: Jason78 on May 28, 2014, 04:32:49 AM
I don't understand why his family didn't help him get the professional treatment he so obviously needed?

According to Reason.com, he started seeing a therapist at age eight and visited a therapist almost every day as a high school student.  By the time of the shooting, he had had multiple therapists.

Also, CNN reports that Rodgers did not come from a well-to-do family.  He drove a BMW and wore nice clothes, but this was all in an attempt to appear wealthy.  Although his parents worked in the film industry, his mother's job only paid 40k a year and his father was deeply in debt. 
Most offensive speech heard in recent memory:
"I believe this country was started by Christians for Christians."
Captain Scotty Smiley, US Army, West Point grad, blinded both eyes in Iraq, remains on active duty
Mike Huckabee Show, August 2013
How sad the Captain has such un-American beliefs.

Mermaid

Quote from: stromboli on May 29, 2014, 10:48:38 AM
The most disturbing thing to me is that parts of the media have managed to lay blame on the victims. Attacking feminism and the right of women to choose their sexual partners versus making themselves available and being virginal princesses. This whole thing shows how misogynistic our society still is.
The most disturbing thing to me is that not just the media are blaming the women, but so many of the men who are commenting on the articles are blaming them as well.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

baronvonrort

In Australia health care professionals can decide if you are fit enough to hold a firearm licence, we do not allow people with mental health issues to hold a firearm licence.

Check this link out-
www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/131155/S79_Notification_FACT_Sheet_-_March_2013.pdf

KUSA

Only someone insane would want a mentally ill person to have a firearm. The only concern I have about it is it would be easy to label everyone as having a mental issue. Who doesn't have an occasional feeling of depression or some other emotion? It is normal. It's when people have no control of it that they need to be considered mentally ill.

Savior2006

It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano