News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Oxygen infused water

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, May 22, 2014, 09:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Sounds kind of like iron enriched rust doesn't it? But leave it to people who have a tough time counting to two. :lol:
I've seen it in stores and people actually buy it, but think a moment,  if it's h3o it's not really water anymore now is it even though the 2 is hydrogen. I'm lousy at chemistry, but really? Oxygen infused water..my grandfather would've been proud of whoever thought of this scam. He encouraged my dad to market dirt in a bag.
Anyway some former OSU college football player got busted selling oxygen infused water here in Ohio. About damned time.
Here's a nice explanation of oxygen infused water and how,  even if you were to drink it you're only paying extra to burp.
http://www.chem1.com/CQ/oxyscams.html
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

aileron

I haven't looked in to this, but my first impression of "oxygen infused water" was that it had a high concentration of dissolved oxygen.  That would make more sense than H3O because I don't think you could persuade Hydrogen and Oxygen to swing that way longer than infinitesimal times due to oxygen having 2 vacancies in its outer orbital.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: aileron on May 22, 2014, 09:32:45 AM
I haven't looked in to this, but my first impression of "oxygen infused water" was that it had a high concentration of dissolved oxygen.  That would make more sense than H3O because I don't think you could persuade Hydrogen and Oxygen to swing that way longer than infinitesimal times due to oxygen having 2 vacancies in its outer orbital.
Maybe that's where Hokum comes from. H + O + someone jerking you off (the kum) =Hokum! :eek:

stromboli

Outdoorsman Steve here! (raises hand)

If you have ever sampled water from a mountain stream- that didn't contain Giardia  :eek: it seems fresher and more satisfying in your mouth. The reason, I have been told, is because the water moving rapidly, churning and flowing, tends to oxygenate itself- we all know what happens when you leave fish in an aquarium that isn't refreshed regularly. But if you take that same water and sit it in a vessel, it is just water. The idea of oxygenated water  doesn't make sense on that basis. I really don't see how you could really get standing water to retain oxygen. And water with an extra molcule of oxyden is Hydrogen Peroxide, which isn't water.  So color me skeptical.

Jason78

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 22, 2014, 09:26:38 AM
if it's h3o it's not really water anymore now is it even though the 2 is hydrogen. I'm lousy at chemistry, but really?

Add an extra oxygen atom to H2O, and what do you get?  H2O2, or hydrogen peroxide.   It's more likely that the water has been treated with pressurised oxygen (kinda like how fizzy drinks are treated with pressurised carbon dioxide).  I doubt that extra little bit of oxygen dissolved in the water is going to have any effect at all though.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Hydra009

There's basically no difference between oxygen-infused water and regular water, except for the cost.  It's a scam.

And for God's sake America, you don't need fancy schmancy bottled water.  Tap is just fine.

stromboli

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 22, 2014, 11:34:52 AM
There's basically no difference between oxygen-infused water and regular water, except for the cost.  It's a scam.

And for God's sake America, you don't need fancy schmancy bottled water.  Tap is just fine.

My bottled water is a 3 year old Diet Mountain Dew 20 oz. bottle refilled from the tap.  :biggrin:

Solitary

My water is from my refrigerator that has a filter, and another filter before it reaches that filter. When I'm lazy I drink my son's bottled water he has to drink because of having only one kidney that is shutting down.  This was recommended by his doctor because of what is in tap water. It won't hurt a normal person though, unless it looks like this:  :jook: . Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

Quote from: Solitary on May 22, 2014, 12:14:41 PM
My water is from my refrigerator that has a filter, and another filter before it reaches that filter. When I'm lazy I drink my son's bottled water he has to drink because of having only one kidney that is shutting down.  This was recommended by his doctor because of what is in tap water. It won't hurt a normal person though, unless it looks like this:  :jook: . Solitary

Not sure about your tap water, but mine is quite safe. I live near the watershed, and can drive in 15 minutes to the source. There isn't a lot of filtering needed to meet any standards and our soils hereabouts aren't likely to leach anything nasty, like Lead.

If in doubt, beer. Been keeping mankind safe for millennia.

Jason78

Quote from: stromboli on May 22, 2014, 01:27:10 PM
If in doubt, beer. Been keeping mankind safe for millennia.

Well the one thing about alcoholic beverages is that if anything used to live in there, then it was eaten by the yeast.

I believe (and this may or may not be true) that invading roman soldiers used to carry wine with them to mix with the local water to make it safer to drink.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

aileron

Quote from: Jason78 on May 22, 2014, 02:21:37 PM
Well the one thing about alcoholic beverages is that if anything used to live in there, then it was eaten by the yeast.

I believe (and this may or may not be true) that invading roman soldiers used to carry wine with them to mix with the local water to make it safer to drink.

They mixed local water with spoiled wine (wine vinegar), honey and other ingredients to make posca. They did seem to understand that it protected the soldiers from scurvy, but I don't think they understood that it also protected them from waterborne diseases.  They clearly understood that it made crappy tasting water taste better.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Hakurei Reimu

You'd be hard pressed to find water that doesn't have some oxygen gas dissolved in it.

PS. H3O+ is the hydronium ion.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

AllPurposeAtheist

Like I said, I suck at chemistry, but I know what water is and what it isn't. It doesn't take a tea party darling to figure out you can pour water right on hot magma and the most that will happen is evaporation, condensation and water again unless of course you're highly skilled at flooding the earth for the benefit of one family on the last boat left on the earth. :lol:

And goddammit, who said the database could fuck up?

Solitary

I think this is water over the bridge. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Solitary on May 23, 2014, 04:41:00 PM
I think this is water over the bridge. Solitary
Well I think it's funny people are so naive to believe this stuff, but then no funnier than belief in "the great flood" I guess and apparently that one ain't going away any time soon.

Oh wait!  The great flood,  super oxygenated water! OF COURSE! Might answer the age old question of why there are no hangovers in the bible. :eek: