AR-Gov: Asa Hutchinson (R) Turned Away from Polls Because of Voter ID Law

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, May 21, 2014, 12:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nam

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 21, 2014, 03:40:01 PM
The first time I voted I had no ID, just gave my name and address. That was it.
If ever there was a law to discourage citizenship voter ID laws would be it.
They might as well just come right out and say they don't think the public needs to be involved in how our country is run. In fact, why bother having elections at all when someone we don't even know could just appoint  others to represent us?

I do Absentee, no ID required for that.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Alaric I

I love all the conjecture here.  You speak as if this is actual fact.  We live in a country where you have to show ID to drive, drink, buy cigarettes, and many other things that don't impact our country but the moment we are asked to show ID to vote and actually have an impact on our country it's all "you're suppressing my rights."  I can see that in cases like that of APA's father who can't due to something that happened way back when, but why is it such a problem to whip out your ID and prove you are who you say you are?

Nam

Quote from: Alaric I on July 10, 2014, 12:43:29 AM
I love all the conjecture here.  You speak as if this is actual fact.  We live in a country where you have to show ID to drive, drink, buy cigarettes, and many other things that don't impact our country but the moment we are asked to show ID to vote and actually have an impact on our country it's all "you're suppressing my rights."  I can see that in cases like that of APA's father who can't due to something that happened way back when, but why is it such a problem to whip out your ID and prove you are who you say you are?

I don't think that's the problem. I think the problem is for most is that it was never an issue before but then these certain people get elected, say fraud is a problem (with no evidence that it is) and then create these laws not as a vehicle to stop the nonexistent fraud but to prevent those who could vote them out from voting.

It's not actually about ID's, it's about preventing certain people from voting. If it were primarily about ID's then, in many of these states, a state issued school ID, a military ID, etc., should be enough but no, it isn't. It's about a specific type of ID (like a Driver's license) that, perhaps, some people just aren't able to get.

-Nam

Alaric I

Quote from: Nam on July 10, 2014, 12:49:21 AM
I don't think that's the problem. I think the problem is for most is that it was never an issue before but then these certain people get elected, say fraud is a problem (with no evidence that it is) and then create these laws not as a vehicle to stop the nonexistent fraud but to prevent those who could vote them out from voting.

It's not actually about ID's, it's about preventing certain people from voting. If it were primarily about ID's then, in many of these states, a state issued school ID, a military ID, etc., should be enough but no, it isn't. It's about a specific type of ID (like a Driver's license) that, perhaps, some people just aren't able to get.

-Nam

There's the conjecture again.  You say there's no proof of fraud and then say it's about preventing people from voting, with no proof.  I can see why a state wouldn't accept a military ID, it should have to be state issued.  Take in account my situation, I'm military and moved to a different state closer to family so I'm registered to vote in two states.  If all I was required wasy military ID I could vote in both states instead of the one I actually call home.

Nam

Alaric I

So you've managed to provide links to something that isn't being disputed.  Where is you're proof that these laws were enacted to make it harder for people to vote for democrats?

Nam

Quote from: Alaric I on July 10, 2014, 01:46:20 AM
So you've managed to provide links to something that isn't being disputed.  Where is you're proof that these laws were enacted to make it harder for people to vote for democrats?

Did I say "Harder to vote for Democrats?", don't think I said that. What I did say was that the Republican run States (many of which are in the South) enact these laws to prevent those not of their party (and by accident some in their party) more difficult to vote. Democrats do it to Republicans; it's called "redistricting" (Republicans use that tool, too).

Are you saying these things don't happen? Are you a Republican? Is this all just propaganda to you?

So, the fact that the Supreme Court struck down a part of the Civil Rights Act, and many Southern States the second after finding out implemented laws that prevented certain types of people from voting (in Texas: women) that means nothing to you? Just liberal propaganda?

-Nam

Alaric I

Quote from: Nam on July 10, 2014, 01:59:16 AM
Did I say "Harder to vote for Democrats?", don't think I said that. What I did say was that the Republican run States (many of which are in the South) enact these laws to prevent those not of their party (and by accident some in their party) more difficult to vote. Democrats do it to Republicans; it's called "redistricting" (Republicans use that tool, too).

You are essentially saying they are doing this in order to make it harder to vote for Democrats, you said once before here
Quote from: Nam on July 09, 2014, 11:43:38 PM
A great deal of voters in many Republican held Southern States are non-white voters; I.e. black voters. These laws, and laws targeted toward students, are to prevent them from voting because they primarily lean Democrat.

QuoteAre you a Republican?

What does it matter? My premise is that your belief these laws are used to make it harder for people who lean democratically is pure conjecture.  It doesn't matter if I'm republican, democrat, or third party.

QuoteSo, the fact that the Supreme Court struck down a part of the Civil Rights Act, and many Southern States the second after finding out implemented laws that prevented certain types of people from voting (in Texas: women) that means nothing to you? Just liberal propaganda?

This still doesn't address the discussion or my question.  Try as you to fling things to "prove" your point, you still haven't provided any evidence to support your claim.  If you can't provide any evidence to support you claim you are arguing off of pure conjecture.

Nam

You said:

QuoteYou say there's no proof of fraud and then say it's about preventing people from voting, with no proof.

I provide two links that say that voter fraud is virtually a myth (the Forbes one from 2007). So, if voter fraud is virtually a myth then we are to expect from these mainly Republican lawmakers one of two things as to why they are implementing such laws into their states:

1. They are incompetent.

Or

2. They are doing it based on voter suppression.

You don't like that: I can't help you.

-Nam

Hydra009

Quote from: Alaric I on July 10, 2014, 12:43:29 AMWe live in a country where you have to show ID to drive, drink, buy cigarettes, and many other things that don't impact our country but the moment we are asked to show ID to vote and actually have an impact on our country it's all "you're suppressing my rights."  I can see that in cases like that of APA's father who can't due to something that happened way back when, but why is it such a problem to whip out your ID and prove you are who you say you are?
What if I told you that people already do all that when they register to vote?

Alaric I

Quote from: Nam on July 10, 2014, 03:01:12 AM
You said:

I provide two links that say that voter fraud is virtually a myth (the Forbes one from 2007). So, if voter fraud is virtually a myth then we are to expect from these mainly Republican lawmakers one of two things as to why they are implementing such laws into their states:

1. They are incompetent.

Or

2. They are doing it based on voter suppression.

You don't like that: I can't help you.

-Nam

Exactly VIRTUALLY a myth.  To think it doesn't go on at all is ignorance.  You still have yet to provide any evidence to support your claim that these laws are all about preventing certain people from voting.  You can't help me because instead of either admit it's conjecture or provide evidence to support your claim you'd rather try tonsure straw man.

Alaric I

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 10, 2014, 03:13:48 AM
What if I told you that people already do all that when they register to vote?

Maybe where you're from, I haven't provided anything but a form with my personal information written on it.  Even still, providing this information when you register doesn't stop a thing.  Just think about how long it's been since you registered to vote.  For me it's been over a decade since I first registered, and I am in a job with a high mortality rate.  They haven't scrubbed the records to see that I am no longer a resident of that state and still send voter information packets to my parents.  My brother is also registered to that address despite not being a resident for about 5 years.  We don't have ID laws where I'm from so if my dad wanted to he could vote three times just by giving them a name.

AllPurposeAtheist

It goes further to economic discrimination and of course racial discrimination. Rubes would love to go back to only allowing only white male land owners to vote 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Alaric I

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 10, 2014, 04:24:01 AM
It goes further to economic discrimination and of course racial discrimination. Rubes would love to go back to only allowing only white male land owners to vote 

Evidence?

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Alaric I on July 10, 2014, 03:22:15 AM
Exactly VIRTUALLY a myth.  To think it doesn't go on at all is ignorance.
When it's said that voter fraud is virtually a myth, it means that if it exists at all, it is so small that it wouldn't make a difference in any real election. Yeah, I suppose that without these laws a person could visit three voting places and not be caught, but voting in this country is such a bother we have enough trouble getting most people to vote once, let alone three times. We simply don't see tens of thousands of people vote multiple times in elections.

On the other hand, these laws actively discourage voting that one time, the one time that is the voter's right and duty. It's nothing less than election fraud, and it causes much more damage than the virtually mythical voter fraud could ever do.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu