AR-Gov: Asa Hutchinson (R) Turned Away from Polls Because of Voter ID Law

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, May 21, 2014, 12:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

I've never fully understood the "ID" part of this.  If the purpose is only to identify who you are, why is not a Driver's License good enough?  Since you have to register to vote, they already know at the polls where you live, where you should vote, and who you are, so all they need to know is that you are the person registered.  I don't see what a voter ID card adds that a driver's license doesn't.  For those that don't have a driver's license, passport, or other valid identification, an optional voter ID card would make sense, but beyond that, I don't get it.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on May 21, 2014, 06:50:59 AM
I've never fully understood the "ID" part of this.  If the purpose is only to identify who you are, why is not a Driver's License good enough?  Since you have to register to vote, they already know at the polls where you live, where you should vote, and who you are, so all they need to know is that you are the person registered.  I don't see what a voter ID card adds that a driver's license doesn't.  For those that don't have a driver's license, passport, or other valid identification, an optional voter ID card would make sense, but beyond that, I don't get it.
It's simple. Higher voter turnout is associated with Democratic victories. So anything you do to suppress vote is a win for the Repugnicans. This "ID" bullshit is just part of that. Don't try to make sense of it unless you include GOP selfishness and spite.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 21, 2014, 07:26:55 AM
It's simple. Higher voter turnout is associated with Democratic victories. So anything you do to suppress vote is a win for the Repugnicans. This "ID" bullshit is just part of that. Don't try to make sense of it unless you include GOP selfishness and spite.
Well, I do understand that part.  But it just seems unfair.  It's just silly bullshit to keep voters away from the polls.

stromboli

You can use a concealed gun permit as ID proof to vote. What's the problem?

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on May 21, 2014, 06:50:59 AMI've never fully understood the "ID" part of this.  If the purpose is only to identify who you are, why is not a Driver's License good enough?
It is.  Apparently, Hutchinson forgot his entire wallet because just about any state/federal government-issued photo ID (and in some states, non-photo ID) is good enough to establish proof of identity.  And generally speaking, you can still cast a provisional ballot even if you don't have ID.

QuoteSince you have to register to vote, they already know at the polls where you live, where you should vote, and who you are, so all they need to know is that you are the person registered.
That's exactly my take.  They already have your info from when you registered to vote, so it's an unnecessary hoop to jump through.

One thing I really liked about NC is that we didn't have a voter ID law; you just had to sign a poll book and they hand you a ballot.  But starting 2016, we're doing the photo ID thing, too.

AllPurposeAtheist

The first time I voted I had no ID, just gave my name and address. That was it.
If ever there was a law to discourage citizenship voter ID laws would be it.
They might as well just come right out and say they don't think the public needs to be involved in how our country is run. In fact, why bother having elections at all when someone we don't even know could just appoint  others to represent us?

aileron

No ID?  No problem.  Act now, and we'll give you an ID absolutely FREE!  Just show us your birth certificate, please.

What?  You have no birth certificate because you were born 50+ years ago during the Jim Crow era and your parents couldn't get into the hospital.  Sucks to be you.  Next!
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

AllPurposeAtheist

My dad can't vote in South Carolina where he owns a home even though he served 4 years in the Marine Corp, worked 50 years, always paid his taxes, raised 5 kids, 4 also served in the military.
Reason he can't vote? He sinned and was born at home in 1928.

aileron

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 21, 2014, 06:41:24 PM
My dad can't vote in South Carolina where he owns a home even though he served 4 years in the Marine Corp, worked 50 years, always paid his taxes, raised 5 kids, 4 also served in the military.
Reason he can't vote? He sinned and was born at home in 1928.

SC actually will allow people to vote if they have a "reasonable impediment" to getting a photo ID.  The state election commission considers lack of a birth certificate a reasonable impediment.  Here in NC, we've got mostly fuck ups and retards in the state legislature since 2010.  They won't even consider SC's reasonable impediment exception for photo ID.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

AllPurposeAtheist

I doubt that at 85 my dad much cares anymore to go through the bother of standing in line to vote much less fucking with the election commission. He has to travel to Ohio just to get his drivers license renewed because without a birth certificate he can't get a SC drivers license.

Hydra009

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 21, 2014, 03:40:01 PMIf ever there was a law to discourage citizenship voter ID laws would be it.
I would have said drug tests or tax audits.  It'd be interesting to see which party's base is suppressed more.  :P

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 21, 2014, 10:35:50 PM
I would have said drug tests or tax audits.  It'd be interesting to see which party's base is suppressed more.  :P
Since voting is the most important form of citizen participation it's not a tough one.

Nam

Quote from: SGOS on May 21, 2014, 06:50:59 AM

A great deal of voters in many Republican held Southern States are non-white voters; I.e. black voters. These laws, and laws targeted toward students, are to prevent them from voting because they primarily lean Democrat. In Democratic States (like Wisconsin) where Republicans run those states (the Democratic process of flogging themselves) they intact these same laws in those states to prevent certain people from voting so they will stay in power.

Florida has had ID laws for awhile but Gov. Rick Scott decided a few years ago to restrict actual voting itself by the length of time allotted which backfired on him when it didn't work because most of these laws other states are trying and are putting through Jeb Bush put through when he was Governor (maybe even Crist, to a point).

It's all about keeping the certain people from voting, and they know it may effect their own in some places but to an effect they can live with.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!