(new) tactic for born again christians?! :o

Started by SukmiLongHeart, May 20, 2014, 06:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SukmiLongHeart

The title is much more enticing than what I actually have to say (ask). :)

I've heard some people on a talkshow talk once about something they had seen happening a few times. They talked about a christian who became an athiest, wrote a book about it, got semi (locally) famous and then did a 180 again, claiming he/she had seen the light and had become a born again christian. They suggested that the becoming of an atheist was all a big "marketing" stunt to further spread christianity..

Too far fetched? I kinda think so :D

Thoughts?

Grts
I am NOT Mr.Obvious.

After all, what is this? Nazi Germany?!

GSOgymrat

If I was a Christian and a man said he was a Christian, then became an atheist, then became a Christian again I would be less impressed than if he was always faithful, especially if his faith had been put to a real test. What is he going to be next? Buddhist?

Mr.Obvious

I've often wondered if it would be easy for me as an atheïst to pretend to be a Christian (like I used to be) and write books on being a christian and cash in on that. It seems easier than having to write a whole book on something that is logically consistent, don't it?
I would never stoop to that, of course, but seeing as some people make so much money on religious books or quantum woo or spiritual books; can't say I never entertained the idea.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hijiri Byakuren

Well if they try that tactic on me, my question is the same as always: "What's your evidence?"
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SukmiLongHeart

I think they meant it more like "See! Even the most convinced atheist can find the light of God!"..

Which I'm sure won't convince any of us, but it might give some explanation as to why some christians might find the "tactic" viable..

Grts
I am NOT Mr.Obvious.

Solitary

If I didn't already, welcome aboard SukmiLongHeart!  How about the atheist who got brain damage and became a theist, and then got well and became an atheist again?   :eek:  :biggrin: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

Anne Rice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Rice

QuoteBorn in New Orleans, Rice spent much of her early life there before moving to Texas, and later to San Francisco. She was raised in an observant Roman Catholic family, but became an atheist as a young adult. She began her professional writing career with the publication of Interview with the Vampire in 1976, while living in California, and began writing sequels to the novel in the 1980s. In the mid-2000s, following a publicized return to Catholicism, Rice published the novels Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt and Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana, fictionalized accounts of certain incidents in the life of Jesus. Several years later she distanced herself from organized Christianity, citing disagreement with the Church's stances on social issues but pledging that faith in God remained "central to [her] life." However, she now considers herself a secular humanist.[3]

That what you are talking about?

Solitary

No. She is still a believer. It was meant to be tongue and cheek sarcasm to what theists try to do to support their faith. I have never heard of someone doing what I said. I don't think an atheist can go back to being a theist unless they get brain damage, like getting senile. It takes magical thinking like a child has to have faith and absorb what authority says without question. Once you question things I don't see how one can go back to not questioning things, unless one has a strong emotional reason to not. Even Mother Teresa questioned her faith and couldn't let go. Of course this is from my perspective and could be wrong, or not.   :eh:  Solitary

AllPurposeAtheist

Same as the heroin addicts who merely pray and are "instantly cured" on the spot which is pure bullshit. Like it or not if you're addicted to heroin and try to quit cold turkey you're gonna be sick as shit, but you ain't getting cured instantly on the spot. You might quit and many people do, but there's no "instant" anything to it.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SukmiLongHeart

Also see c.s. Lewis.

He's written quite alot about his "reconversion" to christianity.

He even says he was influenced by Tolkien (yea, him) and Dyson (not the vacuum cleaner guy) to become Christian again.

Grts
I am NOT Mr.Obvious.

Solitary

If they want to be born again they should die.  :eek: :biggrin2: Solitary

AllPurposeAtheist

I talked to my mom once about being born again and she was completely opposed to giving birth to a full grown man. Pretty selfish of her, huh?
When someone tells me they're born again I send a sympathy card to their mother.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.