News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

String Theory

Started by Solitary, May 19, 2014, 11:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

What a remarkable intellect and memory: http://youtu.be/YtdE662eY_M   :borg: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

I actually think I may have understood that.

josephpalazzo

I thought there was something new in this field, until Greene started to talked about the LHC which wasn't yet in operation. That video was posted on youtube in 2008. That's fucking old news. Six years after, the LHC hasn't confirmed ST, and isn't likely to do so in the near future. Here's a more sober and updated view (from 2013):

QuoteThe probability (in my Bayesian estimation) that the LHC will discover BSM physics has gone from fairly likely (as witnessed by my previous willingness to take even-odds) to rather unlikely. N.B.: that’s not quite the same thing as saying that there’s no BSM physics at these energies; rather that, if it’s there, the LHC won’t be able to see it (at least, not without accumulating many years worth of data).

http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=6069

stromboli

Quote from: josephpalazzo on May 19, 2014, 02:37:47 PM
I thought there was something new in this field, until Greene started to talked about the LHC which wasn't yet in operation. That video was posted on youtube in 2008. That's fucking old news. Six years after, the LHC hasn't confirmed ST, and isn't likely to do so in the near future. Here's a more sober and updated view (from 2013):

Right. I was waiting for somebody more qualified than me to point that out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGRdeJkdagA

AllPurposeAtheist

I have a theory about string too. It keeps my shoes from falling off. Sometimes it breaks and then getting the ends back in the little holes is hard. :think:
It's a conspiracy. :eek:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Solitary on May 20, 2014, 01:46:02 PM
What happens when all this searching finds out how God's mind works---and there is nothing there?  :eek: :eek: Solitary
Pretty much what we have right now,  a bunch of delusional people in denial.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Shol'va

String Theory is just another theory by scientists to string us along into buying into the unsupported assertion that realism and materialism are true.
Right?

josephpalazzo

Don't say it too loud, Casparov might hear you, and then we'll never hear the end of it.

josephpalazzo

It's a slow day... well, not exactly. I'm working on my next blog - Effective Field Theory - heavy stuff, and I need some break time... and Casparov is perfect a scapegoat to poke fun at... I'm sadistic by nature...

Solitary

I know, I found out when I first met you on the forum. :winkle: :smile: SmOff :fU: He! He! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

josephpalazzo

I was very gentile with you... :biggrin2:

stromboli

Quote from: josephpalazzo on May 22, 2014, 12:06:52 PM
It's a slow day... well, not exactly. I'm working on my next blog - Effective Field Theory - heavy stuff, and I need some break time... and Casparov is perfect a scapegoat to poke fun at... I'm sadistic by nature...

Lol. Don't worry. I've never confused you with Mary Poppins.

Unbeliever

I wonder whether the dualities of string theories have any connection to the geometric dualities of the Platonic solids? Or this merely coincidental?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman