why is the first world so suicidal?

Started by phattmatt, May 19, 2014, 12:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattmatt

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 19, 2014, 07:26:41 AM
I just noticed there isn't one developed country listed in the low column though.
I added a like to all your posts on this thread.  Preach it sista!

I think u are wrong about one thing.  Women report feeling suicidal and attempt suicide far more often than men but men commit successfull suicide four times more often.  That is what I have heard from mental health workers in every mental institution I have been to.  I can't say it is accurate but am quite convinced that there are more successfull suicides among males.

phattmatt

Quote from: KUSA on May 19, 2014, 02:39:19 PM
Matt,
You need an outdoor labor job like farming. The hard work and long hours would give you no time to think of suicide or other retarded thoughts.
I like farms and animals but my greatest desire at the moment is companionship with a member of the opposite gender that I have stong feelings for.  A farm isnt a very good place to get a girlfriend.

phattmatt

Also, this thread was not suppose to be about me.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: phattmatt on May 19, 2014, 02:49:03 PM
  I can't say it is accurate but am quite convinced that there are more successfull suicides among males.

That is true, actually, on the whole. Also one of the findings in 'Le Suicide' and usually true in more recent studies. There are usually more attempts by women and more women attempting, but more succesfull attempts among men. Men also, on the whole, choose more 'violent' and definite ways like blowing one's brains out whilst women more often try to OD or something or slitting ones wrists which gives more time for reconcidering as well as being found.

Man this thread is gloomy.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

the_antithesis

Quote from: phattmatt on May 19, 2014, 02:55:18 PMA farm isnt a very good place to get a girlfriend.

Bow chicka chicka wow wow.

phattmatt

Is that your girlfriend?

(Comic relief)

the_antithesis

DunkleSeele

Quote from: phattmatt on May 19, 2014, 02:57:42 PM
Also, this thread was not suppose to be about me.
Matt, there's nothing wrong in talking about your problems or feelings if it helps you. As long as it doesn't degenerate in you creating tons of meaningless threads, I believe we are all perfectly fine with this thread being about you.

AllPurposeAtheist

Come on Shoe! We're number one! USA USA USA!

Wait! What? We're between Bulgaria and Romania?

How the fuck can we be behind Belarus and Kazakhstan?

Well if Hillary wins the white house at least we'll catch up when millions of tea partiers can no longer accept living under her iron fist and being lorded over by a w o m a n !

We'll be right back on top then! USA USA USA!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

KUSA

phattmatt

Quote from: DunkleSeele on May 19, 2014, 03:21:35 PM
Matt, there's nothing wrong in talking about your problems or feelings if it helps you. As long as it doesn't degenerate in you creating tons of meaningless threads, I believe we are all perfectly fine with this thread being about you.
How suprisingly sweet!  Sniff...sniff.

Thanks kusa for the overwhelming empirical evidence

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: KUSA on May 19, 2014, 04:05:48 PM

Hey! I know her intimately! 

OK, It was just a wet dream, but close enough!  :snooty:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

phattmatt

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 19, 2014, 04:25:52 PM
Hey! I know her intimately! 

OK, It was just a wet dream, but close enough!  :snooty:

I was told by a Satanist that you can place a curse on a girl through masturbation.  I assume it might include the sacrifice of a bunny or kitten combined with some mantra while masturbating  :madu:

Just an assumption though.  Otherwise I've placed a curse on hundreds of women  :dance:

phattmatt

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 20, 2014, 03:12:55 AM
Actually, no.

Women have the luxury of feeling weak and bad openly; expressing their depression to people, be public about it. General human culture which I still insist is 'patriarchal', berates men from showing any simple emotion, let alone express their depression or inner pain at the level of being suicidal. I can cry in public, say that I am scared of walking through a dark road at night or even staying home alone. That I feel bad, vulnerable and weak. Nobody would see anything wrong with it. I'm a woman. Few manly man would even find it cute. A man 'cannot' do that. Men are far more chained in themselves than women. It's very understandable that the amount of men who report suicidal thoughts and severe depression are far less than women. Men also mostly use guns to end their life. Think about it, it's highly unlikely you are coming back from that. No chance of being saved or face the 'embarrassment' afterwards. It's another reason why males are the leading group in completed suicide attempts. Women mostly take drugs or cut themselves, there is always a window. 

We start to tell men (in every culture) that they should stop crying when they are hurt, stop whining, that they should 'man up' and take it or deal with everything themselves with violence at most times or that they are not men, since they are little toddlers ffs. Girls however, learn not to suppress their pain (physical or otherwise) when they are very little. They also have a choice; they get affirmatives for both choices. Being girly enough and for being a little like a man when necessary. Men have to be 'men'. They do not have any other choice. It looks like it is changing, but it is not. We arrive to the same point with the marriage thread. Men are forced and evolved to be the tough last line. [They conducted series of experiments where there were some scenes created and doesn't matter how ugly, fat, unattractive the female is, most males always try to secure her. So this is really something more than just saving the beautiful damsel in distress. Not just because they are expected, because they expect it from themselves. Most men who behaves otherwise -which is a little group- has actually 'learned' not to react that way for some reason, bad experience or awareness.

Veteran suicides. Veterans who suffer Shellshock syndromes are treated as weak men who couldn't handle 'it'. What is this 'it'? It's war; the most horrifying acts of human combined. Bloody mass murder, torture, rape...any kind of atrocity. First they are tricked to believe they are doing something right and honourable, then they are thrown in to 'the meat grinder' as strom calls it. They are men, they should be the one to do it. For what? A huge nothing. Making rich and powerful people -who will never put their lives in danger for anyone- richer and more powerful.  And then when they come back they are crushed, broken, oh if they display any sign of weakness, depression...unstable state of mental health it is THEIR fault. They couldn't handle it. They weren't men enough. Of course mostly they choose to hug what they are given tighter. So, we are taking boys to turn them into violent murderers and then complain they are not tough enough when they break down and blame them for anything afterwards.

I doubt, if there would be a high suicide rate among female veterans in the future when the situation gets equal to compare. I know it will sound odd, but I always thought women are more suited to violence mentally, if not physically. May be it is just me. There was an article about female serial killers and that very often they don't torture, or operate in a narrative frame like playing out a ruse or delusion,  but just kill which that makes them more efficient killers and more difficult to catch compared to their male counterparts which is a far bigger group. I think that's also because women are not the first choice to come to mind when people are thinking about murder or violence though.

Earthlings. Lovable bunch.
I read your post and was delighted.   Too out of my mind to tell u how beautifull your post was.

DunkleSeele