News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

'Biggest dinosaur ever' discovered

Started by josephpalazzo, May 17, 2014, 03:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27441156

QuoteBy measuring the length and circumference of the largest femur (thigh bone), they calculated the animal weighed 77 tonnes.

"Given the size of these bones, which surpass any of the previously known giant animals, the new dinosaur is the largest animal known that walked on Earth," the researchers told BBC News.

"Its length, from its head to the tip of its tail, was 40m.

"Standing with its neck up, it was about 20m high - equal to a seven-storey building."

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Call out the army! (In Japanese on a 1 second delay dubbed over with English) ^ I'm guessing it's you know who. ^ *cough cough*
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 17, 2014, 05:09:18 PM
Call out the army! (In Japanese on a 1 second delay dubbed over with English) ^ I'm guessing it's you know who. ^ *cough cough*
I have an alibi.

And anyway
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mandingo

QuoteBy measuring the length and circumference of the largest femur (thigh bone), they calculated the animal weighed 77 tonnes.

That makes it less than half the volume/weight of the blue finn whale â€" 150 to 200 tonnes. The largest animal that ever lived. Which still lives today. Even if barely.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mandingo on May 17, 2014, 07:26:38 PM
That makes it less than half the volume/weight of the blue finn whale â€" 150 to 200 tonnes. The largest animal that ever lived. Which still lives today. Even if barely.
They probably should have said "land animal".
PZ Myers

aitm

Quoteis the largest animal known that walked on Earth,

:whistle:
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

You see, this is why we have offspring who lose teeth so the tooth fairy can grind them up to manufacture dinosaur bones. This one took several generations of kids. :snooty:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Yeah, but where's the missing link?

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Berati

Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

I sent the link to my fundie cousins. Two of them will be adding that 'tube to their home schooling. I guess any future family reunions will have to be at McDonalds.
PZ Myers