Christian in Sudan sentenced to death for faith

Started by dawiw, May 17, 2014, 09:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawiw

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/15/world/africa/sudan-christian-woman-apostasy/index.html?sr=fb051614faithsentence1030aVODtopPhoto#cnn-disqus-area

QuoteDuring Thursday's sentencing hearing, a sheikh told the court "how dangerous a crime like this is to Islam and the Islamic community," said attorney Mohamed Jar Elnabi, who's representing Ibrahim.

"I am a Christian," Ibrahim fired back, "and I will remain a Christian."

This what makes religion so bad.

I remain unconvinced by any claims anyone has ever made about the existence or the power of a divine force operating in the universe."
-Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Solitary

Ignorance and insanity with both religions, and yet there are people here that want a Christian theocracy, like a Mormon theocracy the Mormons want. Why do people want their lives controlled by religious authority is beyond me. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

gussy

If angry Muslim men ask you if you are Muslim it is best to tell them yes.  The woman's husband is an American citizen so they do have a place to flee to.  It makes me ill to think that this woman would let these people kill her over this. 

AllPurposeAtheist

Best advertising that Christians can get. Why would they be upset? Why won't more Christians go there to accept their punishment as well?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

I'm just wondering how being a Christian is in any way dangerous to Islam.  It doesn't prevent muslims from practicing their religion or anything like that (it would have been nice if they had returned the favor).  It only affects Islam in the sense that these religions compete for market share among a finite population of humans - an ideological zero-sum game.  And barbarism like this only hurts a religion's relative standing in the long run.

AllPurposeAtheist

Probably a puff piece put out by the "Family Research Counsel".. P E R S E C U T I O N !

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 18, 2014, 01:09:35 AM
I'm just wondering how being a Christian is in any way dangerous to Islam.  It doesn't prevent muslims from practicing their religion or anything like that (it would have been nice if they had returned the favor).  It only affects Islam in the sense that these religions compete for market share among a finite population of humans - an ideological zero-sum game.  And barbarism like this only hurts a religion's relative standing in the long run.
She's on trial for being an apostate.

Her father was Muslim. According to Sudanese law this makes her a Muslim at birth, she doesn't even have to say that "Allah blah blah blah, watch me stroke Muhammad's ego" thing people usually say when they incur massive brain damage and convert to Islam. Now it doesn't matter that she wasn't raised as a Muslim or anything, because of something she had no control over she's an apostate by law. We all know the punishment for leaving Muhammad The Pig Fucker's cult by now.

Here's a little life hint for the idiots out there: if you have to kill people for leaving your religion in order to keep other people from leaving, you have a really shitty religion.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

randompattern

I'm curious why her 20 month old son is in jail with her.
If God is the answer, it must have been a very stupid question.

StupidWiz

... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

SGOS

Religious ignorance supported by the state.  It's hideous and barbaric.  People want the bronze age mythology.  They even live in an ignorant barbaric culture like the ancients who invented their religion.

Munch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 18, 2014, 01:05:30 AM
Best advertising that Christians can get. Why would they be upset? Why won't more Christians go there to accept their punishment as well?

its just an eternal reminded that all religions are pieces of shit, and only the dumb and lost drones of the world follow it without morally questioning anything.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on May 18, 2014, 01:41:35 AMShe's on trial for being an apostate.

Her father was Muslim. According to Sudanese law this makes her a Muslim at birth, she doesn't even have to say that "Allah blah blah blah, watch me stroke Muhammad's ego" thing people usually say when they incur massive brain damage and convert to Islam. Now it doesn't matter that she wasn't raised as a Muslim or anything, because of something she had no control over she's an apostate by law.
That makes no sense, either.  No one is automatically an adherent of any particular religion.  Don't they listen to Richard Dawkins over there?

Johan

Tell me again how organized religion is good thing and does no harm to anyone. :rolleyes:
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Hydra009

Quote from: Johan on May 18, 2014, 11:29:12 AM
Tell me again how organized religion is good thing and does no harm to anyone. :rolleyes:
I've had that debate more times than I can count.  Apparently, feelings of comfort and purpose trump honesty and wellbeing.  And golly gee willikers you'd have to be some sort of vile antireligious nutjob to think that society should move away from offering prayers to some invisible guy or another.  Plus, did you know that good people can be religious?  Cause I sure didn't.

AllPurposeAtheist

Uhh..only GOOD people can be religious.  Didn't you get the memo? :pray: