Utah Lawmaker: Bring back the firing squad.

Started by SGOS, May 17, 2014, 09:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

A state congressman wants to bring back the firing squad after a series of botched lethal injections.  On the surface it sounds brutal, but I've never been shot in the heart, so I don't know.  However, I have wondered about how bad it would be and have yet to answer the question. 

The debate over the method of execution has always struck me as odd. Be it firing squad, hanging, or lethal injection, it always seemed to me that the worst part of the death penalty would be the years sitting on death row knowing that you will be killed by a committee of state sponsored bureaucrats, who are supposedly carrying out orders without being emotionally involved: Just a bunch of guys you can watch as they snuff you out with about the same amount of enthusiasm as a crew that finishes drywall.

Having said that, I doubt that the people in that line of work are completely detached from what they do.  I assume that most people involved in executions are drawn to such careers by some perverse need.  But maybe not.  I did know a gun fanatic who volunteered for a firing squad because he wanted to experience killing a man.  He was not accepted by the screening committee.  I have no idea what he told them his motives were.

http://news.msn.com/us/utah-lawmaker-bring-back-firing-squad-executions

AllPurposeAtheist

The state has no qualms killing. We have a multi-billion dollar enterprise designed to kill. We call it defense spending. Since when did the state give a shit about killing? Hell, cops are all trained and equipped to kill.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

Quote from: SGOS on May 17, 2014, 09:13:51 AM
A state congressman wants to bring back the firing squad after a series of botched lethal injections.  On the surface it sounds brutal, but I've never been shot in the heart, so I don't know.  However, I have wondered about how bad it would be and have yet to answer the question. 

The debate over the method of execution has always struck me as odd. Be it firing squad, hanging, or lethal injection, it always seemed to me that the worst part of the death penalty would be the years sitting on death row knowing that you will be killed by a committee of state sponsored bureaucrats, who are supposedly carrying out orders without being emotionally involved: Just a bunch of guys you can watch as they snuff you out with about the same amount of enthusiasm as a crew that finishes drywall.

Having said that, I doubt that the people in that line of work are completely detached from what they do.  I assume that most people involved in executions are drawn to such careers by some perverse need.  But maybe not.  I did know a gun fanatic who volunteered for a firing squad because he wanted to experience killing a man.  He was not accepted by the screening committee.  I have no idea what he told them his motives were.

http://news.msn.com/us/utah-lawmaker-bring-back-firing-squad-executions

The army and Marines are looking for a few good men like him, tell him to enlist. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solitary

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 17, 2014, 09:19:51 AM
The state has no qualms killing. We have a multi-billion dollar enterprise designed to kill. We call it defense spending. Since when did the state give a shit about killing? Hell, cops are all trained and equipped to kill.

But, but, they only kill the bad guys that are homeless on the street, brown or black, smoking pot or crack chillin in their apartments when they think they have a gun.  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Solitary on May 17, 2014, 12:42:47 PM
But, but, they only kill the bad guys that are homeless on the street, brown or black, smoking pot or crack chillin in their apartments when they think they have a gun.  Solitary
Part of the problem is we have a shitload of people who think exactly like that. Homeless, black or brown? You wouldn't be killed if you weren't guilty of something...
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.