Climate change denial is a huge tax

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, May 15, 2014, 09:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

If you think climate change was expensive it's about to get a hell of a lot more expensive and you're going to pay for it.
QuoteYou've probably heard science followers say, fixing the climate mess might be expensive, but not fixing it is going to be a lot more expensive.  I like to refer to it as the Republican climate change denial tax on America.  That tax is not only on fixing infrastructure from more common or stronger hurricanes and floods, it also comes in the form of higher prices.  Higher food prices from super droughts quickly comes to mind, but higher prices for things like property insurance may also be here or just around the corner.

Insurance companies aren't fools, they can be greedy, creepy little things, but they're not fools.  They don't want to pay more for claims than they have to, and they're not going to ignore 97% of climate scientists describing a new rapidly changing climate that could easily bankrupt them.  Politics makes strange bed fellows and those fighting to stop the oncoming climate disaster just might find they have a new ally.

From The Chicago Tribune:

An insurance company is suing Will County and 12 county municipalities, alleging that the governments did not do enough to prevent and mitigate flood damagecaused by the heavy rains of April 2013.

The lawsuit, by Illinois Farmers Insurance Company and Farmers Insurance Exchange, as well as its subsidiaries, filed the "proposed class action" on behalf of itself, other property insurance companies, those insured by the companies and property owners who "sustained property and other economic losses" due to flooding that took place on April 17 and 18, 2013, the lawsuit states.

The potential danger of failing to properly manage stormwater and sanitary sewer systems "was foreseeable and greatly outweighed the practicability and cost of proper management of its sewers," the lawsuit states.

The governments should have been prepared for a higher volume of rain that would fall more intensely and for a longer duration due to climate changes during the past 40 years, the lawsuit states.

So the Republican climate change denial tax is hitting the property insurance companies and they're none to pleased about it.  But insurance companies seem to be more in the business of collecting premiums than paying for claims and they don't want to pay.
Climate change is shaping up to be really expensive. So who picks up the tab? That’s the issue in a lawsuit filed recently by Farmers Insurance against Chicago and its suburbs.

Andrew Logan looks at the insurance industry for Ceres, a non-profit that coordinates private-sector efforts to address climate change.

“I think what the insurers are saying is: â€˜We’re in the business of covering unforeseen risks. Things that are basically accidents,’” Logan says. “‘But we’re now at a point with the science where climate change is now a foreseeable risk.’”

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/05/15/1299512/-An-Act-Of-God-Nope-It-s-Climate-Change-And-Insurance-CO-s-Don-t-Want-To-Pay
Some of the comments are even more startling. :eek:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PopeyesPappy

I'd like to see them sue Rush and Faux News for perpetuating the denial lies.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on May 15, 2014, 09:10:09 PM
I'd like to see them sue Rush and Faux News for perpetuating the denial lies.
Suggest that to the insurance companies. Great idea. Perhaps they can sue the GOP anf their financial backers as well.

Hydra009

Not to mention the tourism industry taking a big hit.  I'm not fond of the prospect of the Outer Banks being submerged under the ocean.

AllPurposeAtheist

It's going to definitely fuck up some shipping ports if it all happens we have massive sea level rise..

AllPurposeAtheist

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

So if a party or corporation is aware of a developing situation that is ultimately harmful and either denies it happening or actually subverts the facts to convince people that it isn't- doesn't that amount to something like depraved indifference or willful disregard of a potentially deadly situation?

Sounds criminal to me.

AllPurposeAtheist

They're going to keep saying that the science isn't all in which is true, just like the science isn't all in about human death because we don't know what causes all deaths so let's just get rid of doctors, hospitals and clinics. It's a major loophole in language.