News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Mississippi conservatives

Started by Hydra009, May 14, 2014, 01:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aletheia

Quote from: Shiranu on May 15, 2014, 02:03:58 AM
That's all nice and dandy if it's just you, but when you have a wife and children who are suffering because of your pride... that is no different then parent's who refuse medical treatment for their children because of their faith.

When you are poor, all you have left is your pride. Many of the impoverished in the south tend to be uneducated and lacking in the ability to think critically. There's lots of emotion but not a lot of thinking. So, when you hurt their pride, they feel you are taking all they have and will fight a losing battle to try to keep it.

They truly are the proles from 1984.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on May 15, 2014, 02:03:58 AM
That's all nice and dandy if it's just you, but when you have a wife and children who are suffering because of your pride... that is no different then parent's who refuse medical treatment for their children because of their faith.
And "red" states on average use more benefits that they contribute, which means somebody's taking those handouts there.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Berati

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on May 14, 2014, 11:22:05 PM
the civil war was over states rights, slavery was a serious issue that really magnified the states rights thing, from what I know, the south thought the north was really bossy and wanted freedom to go about their own way(even though their way is considered wrong)

I thought the south will rise again referred to anarchists (oops)
Yah, it was over states rights... States rights to own slaves. If it was just southern pride, how come I don't see any black people from the south saying that crap?

I've heard this revisionist stuff before but the fact is the southern slaves states formed the confederacy strictly over the issue of slavery. They were the bad guys.
I am not saying we should continue to point fingers at people from the south, in the same way that we should not blame all Germans for Nazism. However, assholes who wave around the swastika or the confederate flag should be reminded that they are the bad guys.

Quoteedit

I sympathize with the "i would rather die than take a hand out" mentality, simply because I can see why people would not give up their pride or honor, Im not like that but I understand others are

I think this just shows how easy it is to get people to act against their own self interest if you blind them with ideology.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Jack89

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 15, 2014, 07:06:18 AM
And "red" states on average use more benefits that they contribute, which means somebody's taking those handouts there.
That's how you keep the "Proles" in check, give them just enough benefits to keep them content with their poverty so they remain unambitious. Throw in a little Jesus and you're good to go.  It's brilliant if you think about it.  (Nice analogy Aletheia).

BTW, this seems to works on most demographics, conservative or not.

Hydra009

Quote from: Berati on May 14, 2014, 06:21:35 PMWhat do they mean by "the south will rise again" ?
The phrase means many different things to different people (apparently, some people take it as an apolitical affirmation of "southern pride" much like waving the Confederate flag)  But generally, they seem to mean it as approval of the Confederacy and a desire for Southern states to once again secede from the US.

Although the Confederacy did lose the war and is long gone, a misguided romanticism of the past, sectionalism, and dissatisfaction with the current state of the Union (particularly "Yankee" influence) all combine to keep this sentiment alive.

Hydra009

Quote from: Berati on May 15, 2014, 08:09:24 AMI've heard this revisionist stuff before but the fact is the southern slaves states formed the confederacy strictly over the issue of slavery.
Bingo.

Berati

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 15, 2014, 11:09:48 AM
The phrase means many different things to different people (apparently, some people take it as an apolitical affirmation of "southern pride" much like waving the Confederate flag)  But generally, they seem to mean it as approval of the Confederacy and a desire for Southern states to once again secede from the US.

Although the Confederacy did lose the war and is long gone, a misguided romanticism of the past, sectionalism, and dissatisfaction with the current state of the Union (particularly "Yankee" influence) all combine to keep this sentiment alive.

I don't doubt that many believe the confederate flag or the "south will rise again" is about southern pride or a desire to secede because of a hatred of the federal govt. But those people don't know their own history. The confederate flag is as disgusting a symbol as a swastika even if the mouth breathing knuckle draggers are unaware of it.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Berati

Here is a video from the same person with a slightly different perspective. The New York Liberal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5tqH7UrzOw
Carl Sagan

Hydra009

Quote from: Berati on May 15, 2014, 01:06:44 PM
I don't doubt that many believe the confederate flag or the "south will rise again" is about southern pride or a desire to secede because of a hatred of the federal govt. But those people don't know their own history. The confederate flag is as disgusting a symbol as a swastika even if the mouth breathing knuckle draggers are unaware of it.
Agreed.  It was definitely a bad part of our history, it's a good thing that it's over, which has led to the emergence of the New South much more urban and culturally similar to Northern states.  The rural areas are still very sad, however.

Hydra009

Quote from: Berati on May 15, 2014, 01:08:02 PMHere is a video from the same person with a slightly different perspective. The New York Liberal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5tqH7UrzOw
Yikes!  That's pretty screwed-up, too!  In principle, I agree with social safety nets, but I HATE it when they're abused like this.  Using food stamps for Red Bull and similar food-like products rather than actual meals is particularly aggravating.

Both videos combined are a pretty good explanation for why we aren't doing so well as a nation.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Berati on May 14, 2014, 10:06:58 PM
It has nothing to do with my opinion of the speakers. The south was defeated over the issue of slavery. What else could they mean by it?
Independence probably.  Just think for a few minutes and see if you can come up with a non-racist interpretation.  It is possible, but it involves getting past your pre-existing low opinion of Southerners.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Berati on May 15, 2014, 08:09:24 AMYah, it was over states rights... States rights to own slaves.

It was individuals that owned slaves, in 11 Southern states and 5 Northern states.  It was Lincoln that established the first draft, a State owning slaves.

Quote from: Berati on May 15, 2014, 08:09:24 AMIf it was just southern pride, how come I don't see any black people from the south saying that crap?

Try looking for it.

I know, your public school education says that it was slavery, only slavery, nothing but slavery.  You're doing a good job reciting the party line.  I'll give you appropriate credit for being good as you were taught.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on May 14, 2014, 11:22:05 PM
the civil war was over states rights, slavery was a serious issue that really magnified the states rights thing, from what I know, the south thought the north was really bossy and wanted freedom to go about their own way(even though their way is considered wrong)

I thought the south will rise again referred to anarchists (oops)

edit

I sympathize with the "i would rather die than take a hand out" mentality, simply because I can see why people would not give up their pride or honor, Im not like that but I understand others are
Except southern states take more handouts than any other region in the US. In other words they want all of the benefits of statehood, but don't want to contribute to it.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Berati

Quote from: Jason_Harvestdancer on May 15, 2014, 09:40:10 PM
Independence probably.  Just think for a few minutes and see if you can come up with a non-racist interpretation.  It is possible, but it involves getting past your pre-existing low opinion of Southerners.
Independence from laws preventing the ownership of slaves.
I have a low opinion of slave owners not southerners. Southerners who pretend the civil war wasn't about slavery are delusional.
Carl Sagan

Berati

Quote from: Jason_Harvestdancer on May 15, 2014, 09:43:30 PM
It was individuals that owned slaves, in 11 Southern states and 5 Northern states.  It was Lincoln that established the first draft, a State owning slaves.

Try looking for it.

I know, your public school education says that it was slavery, only slavery, nothing but slavery.  You're doing a good job reciting the party line.  I'll give you appropriate credit for being good as you were taught.

Public school education? Was that your attempt at an insult because I hurt your feelings. I could tell in our very first encounter that you are nothing more than an arrogant douche bag who thinks he's smarter than everyone else.
Not that it makes any difference but I went to private school.

Any child with internet access or a library card can find out for themselves that it was in fact all about slavery.
Carl Sagan