News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Zeppelins & airships

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, May 13, 2014, 07:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Just an interesting blog about the great airships,  the Hindenburg, Graf Zeppelin,  US Navy zeppelins, lead zeppelins (not really) etc.

http://www.airships.net/blog
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mandingo

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 13, 2014, 07:32:38 AM
Just an interesting blog about the great airships,  the Hindenburg, Graf Zeppelin,  US Navy zeppelins, lead zeppelins (not really) etc.

http://www.airships.net/blog

What's the difference between Zeppelins and airships, if there is one?

DunkleSeele

Quote from: Mandingo on May 13, 2014, 08:45:08 AM
What's the difference between Zeppelins and airships, if there is one?
Zeppelins are rigid airships (most of them, at least). There's also non-rigid and semi-rigid ones. That said, nowadays the two terms are generally used interchangeably, at least in the common language.

Mandingo

Quote from: DunkleSeele on May 13, 2014, 08:48:18 AM
Zeppelins are rigid airships (most of them, at least). There's also non-rigid and semi-rigid ones. That said, nowadays the two terms are generally used interchangeably, at least in the common language.

So all Zeppelins are airships, but not all airships are Zeppelins?

Like all cows are mammals, but not all mammals are cows?

DunkleSeele

Quote from: Mandingo on May 13, 2014, 08:55:58 AM
So all Zeppelins are airships, but not all airships are Zeppelins?

Like all cows are mammals, but not all mammals are cows?
Yep, in a nutshell.

Zeppelin was a brand (I guess you knew it, but maybe someone else didn't). They were the first ones to manufacture wery big airships with a rigid structure; since then the brand has become synonimous with this kind of airship.

Goodyear, another famous manufacturer, were mostly manufacturing blimps, that is, airships with a non-rigid structure.

Gawdzilla Sama

"R-101", most obscure, to me, reference the Python made.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Blimps are famous for plaguing U-boats. Imagine a dive bomber that could do 10 knots coming up silently behind you.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

There was actually a guy called Count Zeppelin. He also starred in the Twilight series.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 13, 2014, 03:00:13 PM
There was actually a guy called Count Zeppelin. He also starred in the Twilight series.
There were quite a few counts in the Zeppelin line. It was just the more recent on that made history.
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Yeah I guess if you're a count you're obligated to keep the family blood line going especially in money. Nothing like a count on food stamps, eh?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 13, 2014, 03:11:15 PM
Yeah I guess if you're a count you're obligated to keep the family blood line going especially in money. Nothing like a count on food stamps, eh?
They actually adopted likely young men if there were no male heirs. Admiral Yamamoto Isoruku was an adoptive. It was a kind of a "wink, wink" thing when the male of the line was definitely not going to be producing any offspring.
PZ Myers

Mandingo

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 13, 2014, 03:15:34 PM
They actually adopted likely young men if there were no male heirs. Admiral Yamamoto Isoruku was an adoptive. It was a kind of a "wink, wink" thing when the male of the line was definitely not going to be producing any offspring.

(Bold mine)

Consider the designation 'male' as a place holder (in more ways than one).

Mandingo

Irony: 10 or 20 years ago there was a lot of hoopla about 'they' were planning to build a few MEGA big airships, 3 times the size of the Hindenburg, to haul extremely big and massive gear to otherwise inaccessible and dirt poor regions in the middle of nowhere of East Uzturkistan, and similar places around the world, whence roads and bridges could never accomodate such loads. Think pre-assembled electricity power plants* to provide light and power to the subsistence farmers, herders, elementary schools, and mothercare clinics in the arid rocky foothills. That would be a solid boost for those remote regions' development.

Airships would be perfect for getting that stuff there. Such outsized loads don't need high speed. Under airships they are independent of available road infrastructure (as in: absent). They don't need roads. They cross rivers, canals, lakes, and other waterways and obstacles effortlessly. They are 'all-terrain' and can get anywhere under 3.000 meters altitude. They don't need a lot of gound clearance either. A couple hundred meters is enough.

Of course these airships needed to be built first. For that purpose they built an even bigger hangar. And then something must have gone terribly wrong. Because this is what's happened to that MEGA big airship hangar:

:D

*or operational ballistic missile launch platforms to strategic locations anywhere on the globe's landmasses...

:(

rhubarbpie

I recently read "The Airmen Who Would Not Die."  It mostly deals with attempts at afterlife communication.  However, the main topic is the R-101.  Its construction and problems are discussed.

stromboli