at what point is conformity to laws against your philosophy of atheism?

Started by phattmatt, May 12, 2014, 11:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattmatt

Quote from: Poison Tree on May 19, 2014, 06:52:26 PM
If finding a politician who shares his/her views on the right to bear arms in his/her utmost concern and the fanatic Catholic/fundamentalist politician is the only one who shares them, then yes.
gave your posta like but callin bullshit.  I think if you had an atheizt friend who was gonna vote for a religious asshole you would advise him not to if u r the average atheist.

Poison Tree

Quote from: phattmatt on May 19, 2014, 09:53:43 PM
gave your posta like but callin bullshit.  I think if you had an atheizt friend who was gonna vote for a religious asshole you would advise him not to if u r the average atheist.
Yes, I'd advise him not to, but a politician's stance on guns isn't a pressing concern of mine like it is to my hypothetical friend, so said friend would likely ignore my advice and vote based on his single overriding issue. In fact, years ago on a different (gaming) forum I met a self described atheist who said that the two key issues that decided whom he voted for were pro-second amendment and pro-life. He was perfectly willing to have congress overrun with bible thumping wing nuts as long as, in his terms, they supported the right of fetuses to own assault weapons to defend their uterus-home.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

doorknob

I'm not sure very many atheist candidates exist over here in america. So I'm not sure any of us have much choice other than to vote for some one religiously affiliated. I tend to also vote for some one who is at least similar to my ideals. And that's pretty hard to find because of all the corruption in the government these days.

phattmatt

Quote from: doorknob on May 20, 2014, 06:47:26 AM
I'm not sure very many atheist candidates exist over here in america. So I'm not sure any of us have much choice other than to vote for some one religiously affiliated. I tend to also vote for some one who is at least similar to my ideals. And that's pretty hard to find because of all the corruption in the government these days.
It is a relief to know how much atheists follow the golden rule