at what point is conformity to laws against your philosophy of atheism?

Started by phattmatt, May 12, 2014, 11:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

Quote from: phattmatt on May 12, 2014, 11:10:13 PM
This question is open ended and vague.  An example would be if there were a law that you can be executed for cheating on your spouse.
Adultery has absolutely nothing to do with atheism.

Quote from: phattmatt on May 12, 2014, 11:32:32 PM
If its an atheist empire like the soviet union, should you conform to the laws of such a ruthless military dictatorship?
The soviet union was not and is not an atheist empire. Are you sure you really understand what atheism is exactly? Because it doesn't seem like you do.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

Maybe I should clear up my ignore list to see if those occupying it have changed one damned bit. Hey, maybe we'll have flying puppies too!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

phattmatt

Quote from: the_antithesis on May 18, 2014, 02:28:28 PM
The fuck does that have to do with atheism?
just saying here are examples of laws that atheists and christians for that mattr do nosee any need to obey.  Muslim law in some countries kills adulterers and cuts of Hands for stealing.  Communist Atheist governments are no less hideous

phattmatt

Quote from: Johan on May 18, 2014, 02:59:14 PM
Adultery has absolutely nothing to do with atheism.
The soviet union was not and is not an atheist empire. Are you sure you really understand what atheism is exactly? Because it doesn't seem like you do.
the soviet union despised and outlawed religion.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quotethe soviet union despised and outlawed religion.

You should invent a time machine and retroactivly become Ronald Reagan's speech writer. "Those godless communists!"

PickelledEggs

Even though I am classified as an atheist because I don't believe in any god, I identify myself more as a skeptic. Skepticism is my philosophy on beliefs in general (which is why I am atheist in the first place). So any rule that says I have to believe something without question or enough information, I immediately have a problem with it and I am almost even more skeptical of whatever I'm "supposed" to believe.

phattmatt

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 18, 2014, 03:56:21 PM
Even though I am classified as an atheist because I don't believe in any god, I identify myself more as a skeptic. Skepticism is my philosophy on beliefs in general (which is why I am atheist in the first place). So any rule that says I have to believe something without question or enough information, I immediately have a problem with it and I am almost even more skeptical of whatever I'm "supposed" to believe.
I'm a skeptic

My point in making this thread was to see how important is conformity to the law.  People of all religions and philosophies draw a line snd say we aren't conforming to this shit.

doorknob

Go to the nearest prison you will find all sorts of people who are master minds for not conforming to the law. And for shits and giggles why not ask them how they feel about "Laws".

The answer is different for each individual. Now what laws will society conform to depends on what is socially acceptable in each culture.

PickelledEggs

Lenny Bruce explains why there are laws really well.

It's all about a society living together and being on the same page. That way we don't step on each other's toes.

Johan

Quote from: phattmatt on May 18, 2014, 03:39:32 PM
the soviet union despised and outlawed religion.
Right. That makes them anti-religion not atheist. There is a difference. A big difference. Huge.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Johan

Quote from: phattmatt on May 18, 2014, 04:37:35 PM

My point in making this thread was to see how important is conformity to the law. 
The answer to that is far more dependent on potential punishment than it is on theology or lack thereof. Possession of pot is still illegal in most states and was illegal in all states when I was younger. But I've known lots of people in my life who could always be counted on to have a stash ready anytime 24/7. If the standard punishment for simple possession was death by execution, I suspect it would have been much more difficult for me to ever encounter someone who always had a supply of weed on hand.

the_antithesis

Quote from: phattmatt on May 18, 2014, 03:37:30 PM
just saying here are examples of laws that atheists and christians for that mattr do nosee any need to obey.

So, nothing and you're a twat.

That's all you needed to say.

phattmatt

Quote from: the_antithesis on May 18, 2014, 07:12:54 PM
So, nothing and you're a twat.

That's all you needed to say.

I didnt say atheism but your philosophy on atheism. 

the_antithesis

Quote from: phattmatt on May 18, 2014, 07:22:28 PM
I didnt say atheism but your philosophy on atheism. 

Of really?

So would be the difference?

Oh, right.

Nothing.

Don't start backpedaling behind semantics. Who are you trying to impress? Some chick? Just jump off a second floor balcony like everybody else.

AllPurposeAtheist

Being homeless my advice to you if you're not going to conform to the law, don't conform as far away from the police as possible because they'll find a way to make sure you have a residence with a number to remember.