What is/are your primary area(s) of historical interest?

Started by Gawdzilla Sama, May 07, 2014, 08:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ro3bert

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 15, 2014, 10:06:15 PM
So you're saying Abydios to egyptian history?  :P

That and any other mummy histories. At least for the present.

Robert

SGOS

I get interested in one thing or another at different times, but I don't think I have a primary interest in any one aspect of history.  Lewis and Clark kind of interests me.  I can't say they really accomplished anything important.  The West was going to get settled whether they went on their trip or not, but it was one Hell of a camping trip.  All they did was explore the Missouri River and the Columbia River.  As far as what was in the West, they missed most of it, and most of what they explored is still in the least populated and poorest areas of the US.  When they filed their final report, the president must have read it and thought, "You know, I think we really got fucked on that Louisiana property.  I bet the French are laughing their asses off on that one."

Altered Atheist

Classical and Ancient History is where my interest are.

Thumpalumpacus

Military and explorational history.

Also, I share aitm's admiration for Daniel Boorstein -- both The Discoverers and The Creators are great overviews of the subjects they cover (geographical exploration and the history of art, respectively) -- with the added benefit that Boorstein is one hell of a writer.
<insert witty aphorism here>

DunkleSeele

Hey Thumpalumpacus, long time no see you! Welcome back!

AllPurposeAtheist

I am more interested in local history wherever I happen to be.. I grew up in Dayton Ohio and the local history is quite interesting. The airplane got it's start there along with the step ladder and the flip top you see on soda and beer cans as well as the electric starter for cars.. DELCO is an acronym for Dayton Electronic Laboratories Company..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

I like world history from the earliest written to now. It is so different and more interesting than what we were taught, or think it was. I hated history in school, but not the "real" history by real historians without an agenda. 
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

Good to see you, Thump.

Ironically I became knowledgeable about early Mormon history by studying the religion. The period from 1820 to 1849, a period before the Civil War and the California gold rush. This is also the era of the fur trappers and mountain men. I was involved with black powder culture and did a fair share of hunting and crafting. I built a kit Thompson/center .54 Hawken rifle and some other gear, tanned hides and so on. One of my best buddies during that period was a reenactor that was in a couple of movies made during that period. Utah is very much the center of trapping history. Fort Bridger holds a 4 day rendezvous every Labor Day, 130 miles from where I live.

If you hear of a rendezvous in your area, it is worth attending. there are a lot of people who still practice the lifestyle. Just seeing the blacksmithing and crafting is worth your time. They are also into primitive weapons like bows and Atlatls (spear throwing sticks).
Check it out if you get the chance. 

Sounds like I got to read me some Boorstein.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on November 22, 2014, 09:08:12 PM
Good to see you, Thump.

Ironically I became knowledgeable about early Mormon history by studying the religion. The period from 1820 to 1849, a period before the Civil War and the California gold rush. This is also the era of the fur trappers and mountain men. I was involved with black powder culture and did a fair share of hunting and crafting. I built a kit Thompson/center .54 Hawken rifle and some other gear, tanned hides and so on. One of my best buddies during that period was a reenactor that was in a couple of movies made during that period. Utah is very much the center of trapping history. Fort Bridger holds a 4 day rendezvous every Labor Day, 130 miles from where I live.

If you hear of a rendezvous in your area, it is worth attending. there are a lot of people who still practice the lifestyle. Just seeing the blacksmithing and crafting is worth your time. They are also into primitive weapons like bows and Atlatls (spear throwing sticks).
Check it out if you get the chance. 

Sounds like I got to read me some Boorstein.
I was in the Breckenridge area last month, didn't make it to Haun's Mill.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

And I once drove through the town where Alice's Restaurant was located. What a coincidence.

Jason Harvestdancer

White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Cocoa Beware

Thats honesty a tough question for me to answer because I have an insatiable curiousity for so many aspects of history.

Seeking to know when and where major technological, philosophical and scientific breakthroughs is a good example.

Archimedes actually had the framework for calculus about two thousand years before it was "rediscovered".

Mesoamerica's agricultural technology was much more advanced then any other human population at the time, and if I remember correctly this was a big reason why they were able to support a large urban population.

I believe the destruction of the Great Library in Alexandria set all of us back about a thousand years in every field that existed, who knows how advanced we would be right now without such wanton idiocy.

I love all that stuff.

Gawdzilla Sama

Historum.com is a good site for the historically-minded person, but be warned, the staff is chosen on the basis of their belief in creationism. You can get banned for discussing genetics there.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gerard

I used to be more interested in New History. Say from the end of the Middle Ages to the French Revolution. It's shifting with me however. I had a time later when I was most interested in Antiquity and for the last few years I have read a lot about prehistory.

Gerard

Gerard

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 21, 2014, 03:16:29 PM
I am more interested in local history wherever I happen to be.. I grew up in Dayton Ohio and the local history is quite interesting. The airplane got it's start there along with the step ladder and the flip top you see on soda and beer cans as well as the electric starter for cars.. DELCO is an acronym for Dayton Electronic Laboratories Company..
Local history is also one of my interests. Specially about the area I live and about the ones I like to visit....

Gerard