What I hate about American culture

Started by zarus tathra, May 06, 2014, 10:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarus tathra

Its culture seems to have basically two poles: the boredom of bureaucracy and the compulsive, aimless destructiveness of the underclass. Yes, there's a "middle way," but that just means that other parts of society (school, the corporate world, factories) just take their influences almost exclusively from these two sectors of society. It's a culture that has black, white, and shades of grey, but no actual colors.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

stromboli

After listening to some current music videos on Youtube, I've decided America no longer has a culture. But then I was raised on opera and country music, so don't mind me.

Solitary

Quote from: zarus tathra on May 06, 2014, 10:30:53 AM
Its culture seems to have basically two poles: the boredom of bureaucracy and the compulsive, aimless destructiveness of the underclass. Yes, there's a "middle way," but that just means that other parts of society (school, the corporate world, factories) just take their influences almost exclusively from these two sectors of society. It's a culture that has black, white, and shades of grey, but no actual colors.

A poetic way to put it. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Contemporary Protestant

I hate high school, I feel like I'm surrounded by pigeons

No one cares to listen to what others have to say and when something meaningful is mentioned it is often met with "calm down" or "who cares"

Moralnihilist

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on May 07, 2014, 11:47:14 AM
No one cares to listen to what others have to say and when something meaningful is mentioned it is often met with "calm down" or "who cares"

Define "meaningful". When I was in HS the most meaningful discussions revolved around sex and what was for lunch.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

Contemporary Protestant

Science, art, history, music, philosophy, psych, basically anything that requires more thought than what's for lunch

AllPurposeAtheist

I don't know. I live in a city with over 150 art museums, live concerts in the streets, plenty of live theater, lots of colleges, hot women all over, bars, public transit, etc.
I went to a political rally yesterday.
It was pretty interesting to me.
Maybe you need to get outside and go for a walk once in awhile.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Contemporary Protestant

I live in the suburbs, and I do allot of stuff that interests me on my own or with family, like going to a theatre and seeing a musical

But I'm frustrated because my peers are not the same way, and because of rampant homophobia, I have to be cautious about how I'm portraying myself

I don't have a problem with gay people but other people are not the same way

stromboli

When people talk culture, I contrast past experiences with what I have now. Living in boston, going down to the commons and walking around, a wide variety of cultural experience was there.

Here in Utah we have a Greek festival every year. Can you say yogurt and Souvlaki? Gag. Depends a lot on where you live and how you involve yourself in it. Utah is the capitol of lame.

Contemporary Protestant

I live in the suburbs so it's pretty limited but I'm near Dallas, so I go out there when I have the resources

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on May 07, 2014, 12:06:39 PM
I live in the suburbs so it's pretty limited but I'm near Dallas, so I go out there when I have the resources
Texas, the dearth of culture. I used to live there. You poor soul.

Shiranu

I don't know, Houston/Austin have a pretty diverse culture and San Antonio has an interesting Tex-Mex culture. Dallas has the highest populations of Italians in Texas (even though we are still only like... 300,000 altogether in the state...) so it cant be TOO bad.

Once you leave the city though... bye, bye any semblance of civilization.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

AllPurposeAtheist

You don't have to get out of the city, just catch the bus to the first suburb.

Shiranu

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 07, 2014, 12:34:27 PM
You don't have to get out of the city, just catch the bus to the first suburb.

True.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

90% of the music (sturgeon's law), the holidays (except Halloween), the politics, its generally puritanical outlook, its deeply disturbing religious trends (home to both Mormonism and Scientology, as well as experiencing an ongoing evangelical streak), its waay over-the-top militarism, and everything related to Black Friday (RIP shoppers).

But, on the other hand, It does host some quality entertainment (literature, tv, movies, video games) and great cuisine - buffalo wings, clam chowder, key lime pie, brunswick stew, cajun/creole cuisine, Tex-mex, root beer (thanks, Prohibition!), ice cream floats, and orange juice.  Also, the internet.