News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How do I cease to exist?

Started by johnson, May 03, 2014, 09:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DunkleSeele

Quote from: Casparov on May 06, 2014, 05:11:26 AM
Throw out the word "chopra" maybe even say the word "woo" and then dismiss the idea entirely and move on with your life. Easy breezy.
If you don't want to hear the word "Chopra", then stop behaving like his personal Baghdad Bob.
QuoteAnother person may spend the next 6 months researching and diligently attempting to master the skill of inducing out of body experiences and learn via first-hand knowledge that there is much much more reality out there beyond this physical reality and consciousness persists with or without the physical body.
They are called hallucination, and there's no skill involved, just delusions.

QuoteThat you have the ability to self-induce these experiences is fact.
And? They're still hallucinations and calling them any other way doesn't change this fact.
QuoteWhether they are true experiences or tricks of the mind can only be determined via first hand experience.
No, it's been already determined by science, dumbass. They're hallucinations.
QuoteOnly those who put in the time and effort will reap the benefits that only direct experience can offer. But to say that there is no proof possible is absolutely incorrect. If life does indeed persist beyond physical death, then this would be the way to find out. And those who want to find out bad enough will. Those who don't, won't.
Hallucinations are no proof of afterlife whatsoever. Unless you're Chopra's Baghdad Bob, of course.

Johan

Quote from: Casparov on May 06, 2014, 03:52:08 AM
Further, proof of afterlife is absolutely attainable. One would only need to acquire the skills and put in the time and dedication in order to induce out of body experiences at will, this would take maybe 6 months of disciplined and serious practice, and then one would be able to ascertain for one's self as to whether life after death is a possibility by experiencing it first hand.
Experiencing hallucinations only proves that hallucinations exist.

QuoteIf one achieves these skills one can utilize the scientific method to determine if the experiences are tricks of the brain or real experiences.
Its been done. They're tricks of the brain.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

johnson

By the way atheists are better than religious people.

DunkleSeele

Quote from: johnson on May 06, 2014, 06:08:35 AM
By the way atheists are better than religious people.
Johnson, "atheist" means only that we don't believe in deities of any kind. Being "better" (better at what, by the way?) is not an automatic  outcome of atheism.

By the way, there are religious atheists; you will find that there's plenty of atheist religions (some new age cults, for example) and some also believe in BS like reincarnation, afterlife and the likes. It's the typical reaction of people who can't accept "I don't know" as an answer to the question "is there something else besides this existence?"

stromboli

If you can lay your hands on a small boat and some dynamite, you can leave a big impression on people in a park with a duck pond, just saying. And possibly provide free duck dinners for the shocked onlookers. And probably mentally scar a mess of children for life.

johnson

Quote from: stromboli on May 06, 2014, 11:21:32 AM
If you can lay your hands on a small boat and some dynamite, you can leave a big impression on people in a park with a duck pond, just saying. And possibly provide free duck dinners for the shocked onlookers. And probably mentally scar a mess of children for life.
Are you ok?

aitm

whatever you do, make sure you hold on to a piece of non-materialistic string so you can find your way back if you don't like it there....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Contemporary Protestant

Mental illness has been in my family for generations, and I have a therapist, and she told me that there is no cure for my depression, I will always hurt but the point of treatment is to deal with the pain. Just find a support group and hang in there. If you want to end it just think about how it would hurt everyone around you, there is always someone who cares

I have to ask, why do u ask about the afterlife, if you're an atheist?

KUSA

Quote from: stromboli on May 06, 2014, 11:21:32 AM

How about if he went skydiving and blew his self up at about 500 feet. The blood and guts would splatter everyone for a couple of blocks.

johnson

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on May 06, 2014, 10:42:29 PM
Mental illness has been in my family for generations, and I have a therapist, and she told me that there is no cure for my depression, I will always hurt but the point of treatment is to deal with the pain. Just find a support group and hang in there. If you want to end it just think about how it would hurt everyone around you, there is always someone who cares

I have to ask, why do u ask about the afterlife, if you're an atheist?
A little bit concerned about the possibility. There is no 100% guarantee.

Contemporary Protestant

Well if you need to talk, I will listen, and you're right there is no 100% about anything. Its up to you to decide what risks are worth taking

Aletheia

Quote from: johnson on May 07, 2014, 06:52:42 PM
A little bit concerned about the possibility. There is no 100% guarantee.

I've had to confront suicidal thoughts and impulses throughout much of my life. In the end (no pun intended), I've come to the conclusion that my life is guaranteed to end no matter what. The decision is not about my life ending or not, rather it is a matter of how long I'm willing to wait for the inevitable end. All of my research shows this life is most likely the only one I will ever have - this is the only time I will ever be here. With this in mind, it seems reasonable to let life play out at its own pace. There isn't any need to rush to my inevitable end. I can be patient and enjoy the scenic route.

So, trying to determine if there is nothing after life with 100% certainty was never the issue. Everywhere I look shows no scientific evidence in support of an afterlife, so I can reasonably assume this life will surely end. Rather, I've had to learn to temper my impatience and not waste this one chance I have of experiencing life (or anything for that matter). Seriously, what's the rush?
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

stromboli

Quote from: johnson on May 06, 2014, 09:46:41 PM
Are you ok?

The title of the thread is how do I cease to exist? You have a problem I'm providing methods? Ingrate.

The Skeletal Atheist

Helium is readily available and painless. Barring that there are instructions all over the internet on how to end it all.

But you're not here for that, you're here to try to convince yourself that suicide will lead to a painless nonexistence. You're looking for certainty. Well we can't provide that. While the evidence (or rather lack of evidence) suggest that consciousness ends when you die, and that is what I believe to be the case, I can't be 100% certain. Anyone who says they're 100% certain better provide some fucking evidence or they're a damn liar. Look elsewhere if you want certainty before offing yourself, you won't find it here. Otherwise get help or kill yourself and face the slim possibility that there is another life.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Johan

I think it should be stated that if you take nothing else away from this thread, please take this. If you should decide to end your life, please end your life only. I don't endorse or encourage anyone to choose suicide, but I do understand why some can find it to be a desirable option. However I will never understand why people sometimes choose to kill themselves in a way that causes other to die as well. If you want to kill yourself, so be it. But don't be a dick about it.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful