News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How do I cease to exist?

Started by johnson, May 03, 2014, 09:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnson

I don't like living. I don't like world. I don't like people. I don't like existing.
I do not want to exist anymore. I want to stop existing in any way, shape or form.
I want to NO LONGER EXIST. It's the ONLY thing that I want.
However some people say that it is impossible. And it kinda pisses me off.
I want to die but I fear that death is not the end. There might be some kind of set up like I might wake up in some another place where dying is in fact impossible. I don't like that.

So what is the likelihood that when I die I will no longer exist? There are many stupid people who say different versions of afterlife all of which I hate. I don't want any afterlife AT ALL.

Also I am not misanthrope or anything. If you like existing that's good for you. But I don't. I want this to end.

Also I have concern that different ways of dying give different chances of not existing. Which is kind of stupid but I seem to be concerned about it as well.

Anyway I want to stop existing. How do I reach that? All I have to do is die?

Aletheia

Not that I condone suicide, which I normally do not except in extenuating circumstances, such as terminal illness and so on and so forth, but I will say this in regards to ending your existence. If there is indeed an afterlife (current evidence weighs heavily against this, mind you), then you would simply wake in a new plane of existence with the exact same problem you have now, which means not much has really changed.

However, if this is indeed the only time in which your consciousness has existence and there isn't an afterlife (which is current evidence shows support), then yes, you would merely have to terminate your brain either directly or indirectly, since that is the origin of your consciousness, and therefore the origin of you.

Keep in mind that whatever is triggering this desire for nonexistence may simply be the result of poor chemistry in the brain and should be addressed first. If you can make the desire for nonexistence go away, then that would be a path with much more promise than nonexistence. Current evidence supports the notion that you only exist once and will not be expected to make a reappearance ever again. Be a shame to waste the opportunity you have to enjoy life.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

aitm

The idea that humans, would be the only life forms to be able to experience an "after-life" is the ultimate arrogance of humanity. If you can agree that we are no more than animals with a bit more intelligence than the other animals, and that we kill them by the billions for food and the possibility of after lifes for them as well, can become a rather staggering exercise in mental gymnastics. All those turkeys going off into another life? Really? Yeah.....say good night and welcome to the darkness, you won't know it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

No one here is going to condone suicide. What you do is your decision. No one here knows with absolute certainty what happens after death. Most of us believe with a high certainty there is no afterlife, because no credible evidence proves that one exists. 

And I do not believe you are suicidal. If you were, the issue of ending your life would already be decided. And just because you hate your life does not by itself constitute enough reason to end it. Taking your life means that living is no longer a viable option. That you came on here tells me there is still room for something, however remote you might think it to be.

Berati

Quote from: rex on May 03, 2014, 10:52:38 PM

Who would've thought that even such a simple thing like non existence which should be free would be hard to get? World is tough.
It's not at all hard to get.
What is very hard to get is absolute certainty. This seems to be what you want. It seems to me that you want absolute certainty before making a decision. This may be part of your problem.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

johnson

Quote from: Berati on May 04, 2014, 12:06:43 AM
It's not at all hard to get.
What is very hard to get is absolute certainty. This seems to be what you want. It seems to me that you want absolute certainty before making a decision. This may be part of your problem.
Yes. I want to know that I will cease to exist instead of waking up in a place I cannot escape. I would hate that.

aileron

You should go to a doctor and ask him to consult with you about major (clinical) depression.  It's quite common and with treatment you may find you enjoy life after all.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Johan

Quote from: johnson on May 04, 2014, 02:26:31 AM
Yes. I want to know that I will cease to exist instead of waking up in a place I cannot escape. I would hate that.
Anyone who claims they can give you absolute certainty that there is or isn't some kind of afterlife is lying. No one can give you 100% certainty on that.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

stromboli

Quote from: aileron on May 04, 2014, 10:10:08 AM
You should go to a doctor and ask him to consult with you about major (clinical) depression.  It's quite common and with treatment you may find you enjoy life after all.

^this.

KUSA

Quote from: johnson on May 04, 2014, 02:26:31 AM
Whether you die now or of old age you are still faced with this uncertainty.
The best thing to do is not to worry about it just choose to be happy.

AllPurposeAtheist

I've been down the rabbit hole of suicidal thoughts more times than I'd like to admit, but now at 54 I'm closer to death from old age than I once was. To be honest I'm not and never really have been all that thrilled to be alive. It's nothing special, but neither is death. You really do have only two options. You can either get older or you can die. You can't do both at the same time.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

johnson

Well if there is a shitty place after death I guess we all go there :D
I don't think manner in which we die has much affect on it. So there will never be certainty?

Casparov

i hate to break it to you but you can't not exist. It's impossible. There is no such thing as death. You are immortal. Existence is the one thing you can't run away from, your only option is to face existence head on and learn and grow and evolve. The longer you put the this off, longer you continue to suffer.
“The Fanatical Atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures whoâ€"in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"â€"cannot hear the music of other spheres.” - Albert Einstein

johnson

Quote from: Casparov on May 05, 2014, 03:08:45 AM
i hate to break it to you but you can't not exist. It's impossible. There is no such thing as death. You are immortal. Existence is the one thing you can't run away from, your only option is to face existence head on and learn and grow and evolve. The longer you put the this off, longer you continue to suffer.
And you know this how?

SGOS

Quote from: Casparov on May 05, 2014, 03:08:45 AM
Casparov, your knowledge of the unknowable is astounding.