Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Death penalty

Started by blargg, May 03, 2014, 11:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

:
Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on May 08, 2014, 04:10:07 PM
It's a liberal tyranny! Homosex and abortion are mandatory. In fact the only reason you can have heterosex is to have an abortion. Also the Bible is outlawed and everyone must prey to Allah.
So this means my two grandpas have to be posthumously married?  :eek:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 08, 2014, 04:20:28 PM
:So this means my two grandpas have to be posthumously married?  :eek:
Yes. Your attendance to the ceremony is mandatory.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on May 08, 2014, 04:27:51 PM
Yes. Your attendance to the ceremony is mandatory.
Damn, where can I rent a pink tux for the occasion? Gramps would be so proud.

mnmelt

I have no "moral" opposition to the death penality.. My inhuman issue with it is that it cost too fucking much money..!!! Child rapists and killers are not worth my tax dollars.. for a second of "retrobution"
Jesus loves me but I still make him wear a condom

stromboli

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 04, 2014, 02:10:16 PM
Putting people in prison doesn't stop people from murder and in fact the murder rate inside prison is much higher than outside of prison so I support the death penalty when inmates murder inmates. If you can't behave inside prison the odds of behaving outside of prison are not good.
I don't support executing people for crimes committed outside of prison, but once incarcerated you had better learn to behave.

Or it may have something to do with the fact that prison is full of murderers.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: stromboli on May 08, 2014, 06:24:09 PM

Or it may have something to do with the fact that prison is full of murderers.
right along side of people guilty of selling pot..

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: mnmelt on May 08, 2014, 06:02:54 PM
"retrobution"
Is that like retribution, but retroactive? How the fuck does that even work? :P
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

doorknob

Quote from: mnmelt on May 08, 2014, 06:02:54 PM
I have no "moral" opposition to the death penalty.. My inhuman issue with it is that it cost too fucking much money..!!! Child rapists and killers are not worth my tax dollars.. for a second of "retrobution"

your statement confuses me. Are you saying it's not worthy money to stop rapists and murders? Or that they should be stopped but  you don't want to have to pay for it? Who then should pay? I doubt that rapists and murders are going to be willing to pay for their own deaths plain and simple. But if some one doesn't pay for them to be murdered then they will have to pay for them to be locked up for life. Either way some one is paying for something.

Now if you want to get into what is more expensive....

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: doorknob on May 09, 2014, 06:39:30 AM
your statement confuses me. Are you saying it's not worthy money to stop rapists and murders? Or that they should be stopped but  you don't want to have to pay for it? Who then should pay? I doubt that rapists and murders are going to be willing to pay for their own deaths plain and simple. But if some one doesn't pay for them to be murdered then they will have to pay for them to be locked up for life. Either way some one is paying for something.

Now if you want to get into what is more expensive....
I think she's pointing to the fact that the death penalty is more expensive than just locking them up for life. With the death penalty you to deal with numerous appeals and the like, while life may have a few appeals but we're mostly paying to keep them alive.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

benno

I think there's an unhealthy preoccupation with death here, as there always was among people who spend  their time debating such things.

stromboli

Quote from: benno on May 09, 2014, 07:07:43 AM
I think there's an unhealthy preoccupation with death here, as there always was among people who spend  their time debating such things.

Which weirdly enough might have something to do with the subject title- the death penalty.

mnmelt

It costs Millions of dollars to "put someone to death".. Life in prison costs less and frankly to me is better punishment.. Any idea how they treat child rapests in jail??.. I get much more satisfaction thinking about them never being able to sleep in peace again.
Jesus loves me but I still make him wear a condom

Jmpty

The punishment for killing someone, is killing someone. Sounds sort of, oh, I don't know, Biblical?
???  ??

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: mnmelt on May 09, 2014, 02:55:28 PM
It costs Millions of dollars to "put someone to death".. Life in prison costs less and frankly to me is better punishment.. Any idea how they treat child rapests in jail??.. I get much more satisfaction thinking about them never being able to sleep in peace again.
I take no pleasure in the thought that anyone should endure a life in prison, much less as a pariah,  but there's a huge flaw in the scenario you paint and that is most people locked up in prison are criminals so in essence you abdicate societies responsibility and make the criminals locked up into some sort of folk heroes for further punishing people beyond the original sentence. Keep in mind that the people in prison who do this kind of violence will do it to anyone who crosses their path from child molesters to people sent there for minor drug offenses. They don't really make much distinction.

Hydra009

Quote from: mnmelt on May 09, 2014, 02:55:28 PMIt costs Millions of dollars to "put someone to death".. Life in prison costs less and frankly to me is better punishment.. Any idea how they treat child rapests in jail??.. I get much more satisfaction thinking about them never being able to sleep in peace again.
The removal from society and curtailment of many freedoms is more than enough, imho.  Anything else sounds an awful lot like sadism.  And personally, I find our violent and rapey prison system to be shameful and horrifying and would very much like to see it overhauled to be less needlessly abusive.