Creationists SCATHING Response to Cosmos

Started by stromboli, May 02, 2014, 06:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/02/creationists_neil_degrasse_tyson_hysteria_reaches_fever_pitch_partner/

"Creationists find evolution so offensive that this week they attacked Neil deGrasse Tyson and his show Cosmos over the claim that stars evolved and created life as we know it. In episode 8 titled, “Sisters of the Sun,” Tyson highlighted the stellar evolution and explained in detail the life and death of stars.

Of course creationists take issue with stars that are scientifically proven to be billions of years old. The creationist website that’s emerging as the leading opposition to Tyson and his show, Answers in Genesis (AiG), claimed: “We know from the Bible that God created the stars on Day Four of Creation Week about 6,000 years ago.”  :naughty:

Yet they do not know this, because there is zero evidence that any star we see in the sky is less only 6,000 years old, in fact for us to see almost any of the stars in the sky they would have to be hundreds of millions or billions of years old because of how far away they are (as explained in earlier episodes of Cosmos about what a light-year is.)

The continued use of the universe’s actual timescale, an estimated 14.8 billion years to now, is a thorn in the side of creationists who know anything older than 6,000 years brings their entire myth to its knees.

AiG even goes as far to deny the fact that stars are born at all: “Whether or not stars are still forming today, the Bible does not specify, but no one has ever seen a star form.”  :doh:

Yet we do not need to the Bible to know if stars are still being born. Astronomers at from a collection of Universities from the US to Germany have observed such phenomenon, a star being born 800 million light years away. This coupled the Hubble Space Telescope having located massive amounts of stellar nurseries and has helped us fully explain the birth of stars.

Not surprisingly AiG’s own Danny Faulkner, an astronomer by degree, but not in practice claims that if stars are being formed today that we do not need science to explain how because God has the ability to make such things happen on his own.  :hand:

This kind of thinking is what stunts scientific growth in the US and around the world. Faulkner and those like him aren’t looking for natural answers to the amazing universe we inhabit and simply credit anything and everything to God. When science does make a massive discovery that happens to through a wrench in their faith based beliefs, they simply reject the science.
:naughty:
Tyson really got under creationists’ skin towards the end of the episode when he proclaimed: “The silicon in the rocks, the oxygen in the air, the carbon in our DNA, the iron in our skyscrapers, the silver in our jewelryâ€"were all made in stars billions of years ago. Our planet, our society, and we ourselves are stardust.”

AiG claims the idea that stars created the chemicals for life is nothing but an invention my “big bang cosmologists,” or as the rest of the world calls them, scientists, who realized that they needed a way to explain how the atoms and chemicals needed for life on earth could not have been created during the big bang, in order to explain away God they had to invent the story that stars created these chemicals.

However they brush over all the scientific evidence that confirms the stars do in fact create the chemicals needed for life and the chemicals we find in all of life just happen to be found in all the stars.

In fact, in this new episode and one previous, Tyson explains exactly how we know the composition of the stars, something that has been understood for many generations.
:hand:
Uncomfortable truths cause creationists to make extraordinary claims, and like Carl Sagan said many years ago, “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.”

AiG closes their argument against stellar evolution by claiming the naturalist explanation for life is tragic and shames Tyson and the writers of Cosmos for not glorifying God, who they claim is the creator of all things, and then refer back to what they call creation week, this is the same creation week that has light being created before the sun and stars.

Just like each week though, AiG treats us to a list of Bible versus and fail to ever provide a link to peer-reviewed journals that discredit the claims of Tyson and Cosmos.

Relying on Biblical scripture is no way to explain our universe and until creationists realize this they will continue to be offended week in and week out as Tyson explains with great eloquence the truth of our cosmos."

That's it. folks. Because god. Take that, atheists! [/b]   :axe:

Hydra009

Quote from: stromboli on May 02, 2014, 06:26:16 PMYet they do not know this, because there is zero evidence that any star we see in the sky is less only 6,000 years old, in fact for us to see almost any of the stars in the sky they would have to be hundreds of millions or billions of years old because of how far away they are (as explained in earlier episodes of Cosmos about what a light-year is.)
Minor nitpick:  the stars visible to the naked eye are only a few thousand light-years away. tops.  Though I guess the Andromeda Galaxy (2.5 million light-years away and closing) and the occasional supernova are also visible.

But it is factually true that our sun, the other stars visible to the naked eye, and the rest of the detectable stars are all much older than what YECs claim.  The difference between their 6,000-12,000 year claim and the universe's actual age is astronomical.

ApostateLois

Creationists need to be publicly laughed at and then dismissed as the cranks that they are, instead of being given the serious publicity they so desperately crave. Maybe with enough ridicule, derision, and mockery, they'll slink away to pout in their churches and stop making public fools of themselves.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

pm1255

but ApostateLois... They might feel bad :'( we can't allow anybody to feel bad anymore *Sigh... No matter how stupid a belief society is willing to give it a chance to prosper. I feel like anybody that follows the Book of Genesis knows it's a load of shit, it's way too stupid to believe, and the entire creationist movement is a massive troll. Nobody could be dumb enough to truly believe the Earth is 6,000 years old? I mean surely right?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: ApostateLois on May 06, 2014, 07:47:12 PM
Creationists need to be publicly laughed at and then dismissed as the cranks that they are, instead of being given the serious publicity they so desperately crave. Maybe with enough ridicule, derision, and mockery, they'll slink away to pout in their churches and stop making public fools of themselves.
If we don't fight them they'll take over. It's that simple.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PickelledEggs

As funny and moronic as these people are, this is excellent advertising for the show. I bet the hate gets as much views as the people that support science

Sent via your mom

AllPurposeAtheist

Take money out of religion and surely it would die. No doubt about that.
Oh wait.  Didn't Jebus mention something about that? :liar:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hakurei Reimu

Apparently, "scathing" is the new synonym for the phrase "whining and pitiable". Damned AiG and it's newfangled, technologic, scientifical speak!
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Solitary

Yes, but that only applied to the Jews, like Jesus was APA.   :wtff:  :shhh: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

^CNN BREAKING NEWS: Crazy fucking religious nutcases speak out!

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Solitary on May 07, 2014, 02:03:18 PM
Yes, but that only applied to the Jews, like Jesus was APA.   :wtff:  :shhh: Solitary
Well, I WAS Jesus, but when I ate the baby I dropped the name.

Jason78

I've finally got around to watching the first episode of Cosmos.

I was a little disappointed.   It's pretty heavy on the graphics and special effects and light on the actual science.  I might be a little harsh there, it's not easy to squeeze so much into 42 minutes.  Neil Tyson does a great job narrating though.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Gawdzilla Sama

It's aimed at morons, but there will be moments.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers