A good arguments against a Christian in indoctrinated denial could understand?

Started by Shadow Fox, May 02, 2014, 01:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow Fox

Whenever you point something out to a Christian that is wrong, They go into what I like to call, Indoctrinated Denial.

So, we all heard the one where they state that when we point something out to them that is clearly wrong, they go into their turtle shell and say well. Your reading out of context or my favorite. Its not suppose to be read literally!

What is your favorite come back line for when they say that stupid crap eh?

Mine is immediately pointing out the 10 commandments and saying that if the bible as a whole is not suppose to be taken literally, Than what about these X so called GOOD things? Then point out the fact they are double cherry picking by cherry picking what things they think is good and cherry picking at their own damn flawed logic of what they just said..and usually insult or laugh at them for it because anyone that dumb usually deserves it.

So, is there anything you say or do when someone gives you the, Its not literal line? Or maybe another example of their Indoctrinated Denial?

SGOS

I don't have religious discussions with friends often, so I don't have a selection of examples to choose from.  The last time a theist brought up the subject (in this case the witnessing of a miracle), I looked startled, then started to say something, and was cut off with an immediate and very terminal, "I don't want to hear what you think!"  While this wasn't one of their craftiest examples of apologetic denial, it openly admits and lays out the overall Christian strategy of dealing with dissonance:  "....I don't want to hear about it."

One might surmise that a grip on a belief in the supernatural is a very tenuous thing.  In the end, it probably saved as both a lot of time and frustration. 

Contemporary Protestant

Ask loaded questions, because as soon as you say indoctrinated or illogical, most people wont want to associate with you

aileron

Quote from: Shadow Fox on May 02, 2014, 01:29:42 AM...they go into their turtle shell and say well. Your reading out of context or my favorite. Its not suppose to be read literally!

1) The "out of context" thing is a real gem.  Especially the right wing Christians love to quote mine, so this is just projection of their own duplicity on others.  My favorite comeback to this one is "In what fuller context is genocide a good thing?"

2) For "not to be taken literally" - who gets to decide?  It's funny that the things that are not to be taken literally were taken quite literally until the dawn of modern science.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hydra009

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on May 02, 2014, 08:25:51 AM
Ask loaded questions, because as soon as you say indoctrinated or illogical, most people wont want to associate with you
To be fair, there is little that one could possibly say against belief in the Bible or against any Christian belief that doesn't immediately provoke a defensive reaction.

Shol'va

An effective rebuttal to "you're reading it wrong" or "other Christians are reading it wrong" is "what is your criteria? by what standard are you determining the right interpretation?"

I tend to put the ball right back into their court when discussing any topic that is inconsistent across the branches of Christianity (YEC vs OEC, evolution vs Creation, etc).
For example evolution. If the person I am talking to rejects evolution, I point out that other Christians do accept evolution. So the conversation goes right back to "how do you know" and "by what criteria".
Then there's the internal inconsistency with core doctrines, such as "once saved, always saved, or not?"
I would say that the burden is on them to speak with a singular voice before they can hope to persuade any non-adherent.

Drummer Guy

Quote from: Shadow Fox on May 02, 2014, 01:29:42 AM
So, is there anything you say or do when someone gives you the, Its not literal line? Or maybe another example of their Indoctrinated Denial?
Slavery is a good go to argument.  If god was willing to articulate things like, don't wear clothes of mixed linens, and don't eat shelled fish because they are detestable, then why couldn't he say "don't own another human being"?  Why does the bible say it's ok to beat your slave, as long as they don't die?

They'll usually respond to that by saying that it's not talking about morality, but it's about the law, and the law was fulfilled with Jesus who brought in the new law where we love everyone....(barf)

Then you can say, "So slavery isn't a moral issue to you?  It's just a legal one?  If there's a country out there that condones slavery then that's ok because it fits within the laws of their land?"

Of course, this conversation could go one of a million different directions, but it's a fun one to make them squirm.

Bibliofagus

Ask what happened to Anne Frank after she was murdered by christians.
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

Hijiri Byakuren

"A good arguments"

*twitch*

Sent from Monster Island. Titty sprinkles.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel