Clergy Members Claim NC Gay Marriage Ban Violates Their Religious Freedom

Started by GSOgymrat, April 29, 2014, 11:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

I love this. That sound you don't hear is Fox News not rushing to commend these churches for protecting religious freedom.

Clergy Members Claim North Carolina Gay Marriage Ban Violates Their Religious Freedom

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/28/north-carolina-gay-marriage_n_5228849.html?&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000016

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) â€" A coalition of clergy members filed a novel federal lawsuit Monday against North Carolina's constitutional ban on gay marriage, saying it violates their religious freedom.

The clergy members said that they'd like to perform same-sex marriage ceremonies in their congregations, but that they can't because of the "unjust law." Their attorney, Jake Sussman, says it's the only case to bring the First Amendment religious freedom claims among the more than 60 marriage equality cases pending in the nation's state and federal courts.

"North Carolina's marriage laws are a direct affront to freedom of religion," said the Rev. J. Bennett Guess, executive minister with the Cleveland-based United Church of Christ, which is a plaintiff in the lawsuit. "We feel that it is important that any person that comes into community life of a United Church of Christ congregation be afforded equal pastoral care and equal opportunity to religious services that clergy provide."

stromboli

Lol, good one. Maybe the worm is finally turning when the clergy get behind gay rights. Glad to see this.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: stromboli on April 29, 2014, 11:27:25 AM
Lol, good one. Maybe the worm is finally turning when the clergy get behind gay rights. Glad to see this.
The UCC has been in favor of gay rights for a while now. It's refreshing to see them take action though, and I wonder how the fucktards will react to this one.

The fucktards have been trying to cite religious freedom for years as a reason gays shouldn't be allowed to get married, and now that's been turned on its head. I imagine the responses will be epic. 
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

stromboli

Well see, I'm not gay but I've hung with different groups of guys. Invariably you play gross out, it happens. You spend time on a ship you get bored, whatever. The winning move was sticking your tongue in a guy's ear. I wonder what would happen if I stuck my tongue in a Chrstian protesters ear. Just saying.  :biggrin:

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: stromboli on April 29, 2014, 02:32:26 PM
Well see, I'm not gay but I've hung with different groups of guys. Invariably you play gross out, it happens. You spend time on a ship you get bored, whatever. The winning move was sticking your tongue in a guy's ear. I wonder what would happen if I stuck my tongue in a Chrstian protesters ear. Just saying.  :biggrin:
I did that when I was still closeted. Let's just say I always won...unless the other guy was ugly.

stromboli

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on April 29, 2014, 02:36:11 PM
I did that when I was still closeted. Let's just say I always won...unless the other guy was ugly.

Skeletal, this begs the question- yeah its homophobic, but I blame you. When you are having sex with a guy "from behind" (cough) do you really care whether he is ugly or not?

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: stromboli on April 30, 2014, 10:28:14 AM
Skeletal, this begs the question- yeah its homophobic, but I blame you. When you are having sex with a guy "from behind" (cough) do you really care whether he is ugly or not?

Well, what do you do with a butterface? Doggy style so you don't have to look at the face.

stromboli

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on April 30, 2014, 01:40:01 PM
Well, what do you do with a butterface? Doggy style so you don't have to look at the face.

Thank you. Never had to deal with a butterface.  :biggrin:

(edit) Friend of mine was once asked if he and his wife ever did it doggie style. His response was "no, I can't talk her into doing it on the front lawn."  :biggrin:

Hydra009

Quote from: the articleWake County Register of Deeds Laura Riddick said she was shocked to be named as a defendant. Her office handles marriage licenses.

"It's ridiculous for any registry to be sued over same-gender marriage, which is a matter of state law, not county policy. Only the legislature or the courts can change the law. Our job as county administrators is to apply the law as it is, just as we will apply the law if it changes. Suing us misleads the public, wastes county taxpayer dollars and creates unnecessary conflict," she said.
I'm glad this ridiculous and embarrassing law is finally getting some pushback, but how they're going about it is weird.  Shouldn't they be suing the state legislature, not the Furyian?

Solitary

How does a gay marriage violate "their" religious freedom? No one is forcing them to marry a gay partner. Gay marriage supports marriage doesn't? Only religion can twist things around to support their superstitious nonsense. I'm not counting lawyers. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hydra009

Quote from: Solitary on April 30, 2014, 04:11:41 PMHow does a gay marriage violate "their" religious freedom? No one is forcing them to marry a gay partner. Gay marriage supports marriage doesn't? Only religion can twist things around to support their superstitious nonsense. I'm not counting lawyers.
This is a religious group that actually wants to officiate gay marriages but can't because of North Carolina's ban on gay marriage, so they're arguing that the law violates their religious freedom.

Johan

This is really nice to see. I don't the claim has any merit nor do I think they'll win if the case even gets heard. But it is really nice to see them so willing to offer their support in this way.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Johan on April 30, 2014, 08:15:33 PM
This is really nice to see. I don't the claim has any merit nor do I think they'll win if the case even gets heard. But it is really nice to see them so willing to offer their support in this way.
This. It has just as much merit as those claiming equal marriage violates their religious rights, which is none because religious marriage and civil marriage are different animals. It is nice to see them make a stand though.

I'm not particularly concerned if this case loses because we are winning by like hell with other legal arguments. We have the precedent in these cases now, and they would have to pull a rabbit out of their asses to stand a chance. To bad they'd have to pull their heads out first.

pioteir

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on April 30, 2014, 08:29:41 PM
This. It has just as much merit as those claiming equal marriage violates their religious rights, which is none because religious marriage and civil marriage are different animals. It is nice to see them make a stand though.

I'm not particularly concerned if this case loses because we are winning by like hell with other legal arguments. We have the precedent in these cases now, and they would have to pull a rabbit out of their asses to stand a chance. To bad they'd have to pull their heads out first.

I totally agree. The case for gay marriage should stand on it's own merits and not be pushed through by "religious freedom" bull. Doesn't the US have something like equality under law? If 2 people want to get married they should be able to no matter their colour, religion, gender etc, otherwise it's discrimination.
Theology is unnecessary. - Stephen Hawking

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: pioteir on April 30, 2014, 09:05:30 PM
I totally agree. The case for gay marriage should stand on it's own merits and not be pushed through by "religious freedom" bull. Doesn't the US have something like equality under law? If 2 people want to get married they should be able to no matter their colour, religion, gender etc, otherwise it's discrimination.
The lawsuit in Georgia is based off of equality under the law. It's called the 14th Amendment.