News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Quantum Field Theory Made Easy

Started by josephpalazzo, April 29, 2014, 07:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Just posted another blog, The Essential Quantum Field Theory. Needless to say, QFT is perhaps the greatest accomplishment of the human mind. Just about everything that smells electronics owes its existence to this theory.

Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy.

Jason78

I think we have different definitions of "easy".
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Jason78 on April 29, 2014, 08:01:59 AM
I'm know I do. There are characters in some of those formulas I don't even know how to type.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Jason78 on April 29, 2014, 08:01:59 AM

I'll admit the word "easy" is relative. But if you would buy your standard QFT textbook - examples: Peskin & Schroeder(842 pages), Srednicki(641 pages), Weinberg 2 volumes (1098 pages), Zee(518 pages), while my blog is about 20 pages when printed out, and you'll get the necessary topics to go on to the next step, it's relatively easy. :pirate:

Gawdzilla Sama

Fuck that shit. I have beers waiting.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

I appreciate the effort, JP. But I am a guy that failed Algebra twice. You lost me at "Hilbert Space".   :eek:

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 29, 2014, 09:16:07 AM
Fuck that shit. I have beers waiting.

Coffee here.

aitm

:confused:

:think:

:sad2:

:wall:

:vegetasmiley:

New Rule  2431.A  No calling shit easy [spoiler]..UNLESS ITS FUCKING EASY!!!!![/spoiler]
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Quote from: aitm on April 29, 2014, 12:38:02 PM
:confused:

:think:

:sad2:

:wall:

:vegetasmiley:

New Rule  2431.A  No calling shit easy [spoiler]..UNLESS ITS FUCKING EASY!!!!![/spoiler]

I've noticed that you tend to take shit kinda personal....

PickelledEggs

There is a saying that I heard a quantum mechanics scientist say.  "if you think you understand quantum theory, you don't understand quantum theory '

Sent via your mom

Solitary

Thanks Joseph! Actually, it is easy to understand if you study the subject and know the mathematical language, but it is just like special relativity and general relativity and even more extremely hard to believe is true because it is not intuitive and abstract. If you don't know the language it is like trying to understand a person speaking Greek. Try infinitesimal calculus where there are infinities of infinities, and the Aleph, if you think this is hard to believe. It all makes sense if you are a mad man.  :doh: :pidu: :borg: :cool: :geek: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solitary

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 29, 2014, 03:20:48 PM
There is a saying that I heard a quantum mechanics scientist say.  "if you think you understand quantum theory, you don't understand quantum theory '

Sent via your mom

Yes! That was Richard Feynman that said that, and he is still correct. Those were his diagrams posted. Solitary

josephpalazzo

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on April 29, 2014, 08:06:33 AM
I'm know I do. There are characters in some of those formulas I don't even know how to type.
LOL.

My next blogs will be on the Path Integral  (Feynman used it to derive the Schroedinger Equation), then Effective Field Theory (a must to understand certain current research) and finally the motherload of all, QFT in Curved Space-Time (what you would need to understand the latest BICEP-2 discovery)

I will try to make them as "easy" as possible.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 29, 2014, 03:20:48 PM

Sent via your mom

We understand how some of it works. We still don't understand why it works.

Solitary