News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Compare your Internet speed

Started by Naru, April 24, 2014, 07:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Mermaid

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on December 13, 2014, 07:19:48 PM

Dude, my net sucks
I would pay a lot of money to have your internet speed.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

GrinningYMIR

PickelledEggs

PickelledEggs

Quote from: PickelledEggs on December 14, 2014, 12:58:36 AM

Grin, how do we both have fios, but I have at least 4 times the internet speed?

Are you going through wifi? or wired?

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: PickelledEggs on December 14, 2014, 12:59:52 AM
Grin, how do we both have fios, but I have at least 4 times the internet speed?

Are you going through wifi? or wired?

I'm forced to use wifi because my dad won't route a wire upstairs, been so long since I've used a wire that I can't remember its speed

wolf39us

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on December 14, 2014, 10:02:01 AM
I'm forced to use wifi because my dad won't route a wire upstairs, been so long since I've used a wire that I can't remember its speed

Get a powerline adapter -- they aren't the greatest... but the reliability is definitely there!

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=1194444

GrinningYMIR

How does it work? I usually get an Amazon card for Xmas, so I wouldn't mind buying one if its worth it

wolf39us

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on December 14, 2014, 10:33:18 AM
How does it work? I usually get an Amazon card for Xmas, so I wouldn't mind buying one if its worth it

It uses the internal power lines in your home to create a "wired" connection.  They aren't bad at all actually, I've had one.

Look up youtube reviews on the most current ones.

GrinningYMIR

Thanks Wolf! I'll look into it, I'd love some better internet :P

PickelledEggs

I had one from a few years ago. Because it was so old, it's limit was about 10 mpbs... Get a 500 mpbs adapter and you should be fine.

But the way it works, is you plug one in to a power outlet by your router, and you plug the ethernet cable in to that, then you plug the second one in to where your computer is and it will continue the ethernet on the other side, in this case it will be in your room. Just make sure the other outlet is on the same breaker as the other outlet. I don't think it would work otherwise.

_Xenu_

Quote from: wolf39us on December 14, 2014, 10:28:19 AM
Get a powerline adapter -- they aren't the greatest... but the reliability is definitely there!

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=1194444
Seconded. When I used to live with my dad, absolutely nothing would get a wifi signal into his office. Tried upgrading to 11n, using range extenders, etc. Nothing worked reliably and it got to the point where we were screaming at each other. Then we got one of those powerline adapters and the problem disappeared.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home