News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

An introduction and maybe some questions

Started by SB Leader, April 20, 2014, 12:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Quote from: SB Leader on April 21, 2014, 07:46:47 PM
But if God does not exist then what have believers been experiencing? It would have to be a mass psychosis on a scale that is unfathomable.

Hey, you're about to begin to get the point.

Solitary

Amazing! He answered his own question and doesn't realize it.  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Bibliofagus

Quote from: SB Leader on April 21, 2014, 07:46:47 PMif God does not exist then what have believers been experiencing? It would have to be a mass psychosis on a scale that is unfathomable.

Hitler must have been a really really nice guy right? Millions of people experienced warm feelings for him during WOII. That many people can't be wrong!

Which brings me to my next question:

Anne Frank, who was tortured to death by christians, never believed in your jebus. She did however worship your god all her life.
So what did your god do to her after she died?
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

the_antithesis

Quote from: SB Leader link=topic=4435.msg1010648#msg1010648
antithesis, I have seen you post this a couple different places around this board, but I haven't seen any responses yet. So I will take a swing at it, but humbly--its a pretty daunting task ;)
Thank you. You may be the first theist to attempt to answer this question since I've started using it to summarize the atheist position.

QuoteThere are a lot of problems with the Noah movie, but one thing it was dead on about was the importance of a Creator.

"Creator" is a job description, not an explation. If someone who'd never heard of cats asked what one was, "a cat is what pooped behind the television," would not be a good explanation, either.

QuoteI look around the world and see beauty in the sunrise, in the flowers, in the eyes of a young lady and I cannot help but see design.

That's appeal to emotion, a sadly common tactic among Christians. I would appreciate you not using it anymore. Seeing god in the beautiful things in this world tell us less about god than how poor your eyesight is.

Do you see the beauty in parasites? Do you see the design of the girl in Africa with a worm in her eye that will make her blind? Do you see the love in the bot fly larva eating a man's brain?

Now that I've brought these things up, you will either continue to appeal to emotion and accuse me of only see the bad in the world , ignoring that the problem is that you only look at the good, or you will some sort of excuse about how you still see design there or some such rot. I would rather you not do that. The point was this line is a dead end. Nothing of value will be gleaned from it.

QuoteA god that created this world must be transcendent, because in order to create all he would have had to start with nothing.

This has the potential to be interesting.

What does transcendent mean, besides a terrible movie starring Johnny Depp?

QuoteHe must be powerful, he created this universe after all.

That does not follow. Although, "powerful" is a vague term.

If god created the universe all that means is, at one time, god possessed the ability to create a universe. That's all. This does not necessitate that is powerful, much less all-powerful, or that is able to do anything else.

QuoteHe must be logical because he created the laws of reason.

Oh. This again.

I find sort of thing rather puzzling. What is this obsession with never putting anything above everything, including inanimate concept like logic and reason? It strikes me like childish one-upmanship. Like how Christians call their god simply "God" instead of Yahweh, his original name when he was the Canaanite god of war. I just find it weird.

QuoteHe must be personal because he created persons and made relationships a valuable part of their existence.

This is where our different views simply do not mesh. I don't see as any kind evidence for or insite into god but just evolution at work. It is easier to survive if several individuals work together, so humans developed emotional bonding to keep them together and take care of each other. Humans still have this trait because those that didn't died thousands of years ago. Although some are born without these traits. We call them psychopaths.

QuoteIf you don't mind me asking, how would you describe what a god is?

I would describe god as anything. I have never seen anything that would require anything that could be called a god. This is why I sum up the atheist position as "what's a god?" I have no idea. Hence the question.