News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Favorite Beer

Started by ChrissyFos1, April 22, 2014, 07:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Some of those posted here do come in cans too though :p
And I've had some pretty nasty bottled ones. Heineken, 365 bier, cara pils, ...
These like 'stella' and 'jupiler' are 'pils', which often come in both bottle and can variants. But while the latter, I like. The former I dislike.
But for stronger beers, like Duvel, Westmalle, Chimay, ... these you don't find in cans and indeed they tend to be on a different level all together.
But then again 'tafelbier', or I suppose 'table beer', tends to come in big bottles but is horrible in my opinion. It's only a remnant of a time when beer was healthier to drink than water. And I don't understand how it keeps getting produced.

Oh, btw, if you ever have the chance, you MUST drink this one:
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: Jutter on September 15, 2014, 03:59:37 PM
Said it before and Iĺl say it again. Irish Stout has to be THE least beer-tasting brew I ever drank. Calling Guinness your favorite beer, is on par with saying you don't like beer.

Shiranu already posted the Trappist beers. Brewn by monks. There's a dutch one he left out (La Trappe) brewn near Tilburgh where my dad grew up.  The cream of the crop imho  is the Rochefort though. Brewing perfection! the no 10 is the quadruppel which went through 4 fermentation cycles.

religious devotion applied to beerbrewing can really put one's antitheism to the test.

Several things,

1. Irish stout is a good representation of the stout style of beer. There are MANY different styles of beers that "don't taste like beer" including Lambics(using wild yeast and often containing fruits), porters(with heavy dark chocolate and coffee notes), Sasions(taste like cat piss smells to me but there is a huge calling for them), and Hefeweizen(banana-y clove-y weirdness), and several others.

A lot of the flavors that people attribute to "beer taste" is due to the yeast being used. So much so that there is a big thing amongst home brewers and micro breweries to take the grain bill of one style of beer and use a different yeast to see what you get flavor wise.

2. No beer goes through more than one fermentation. Quadruppel simply refers to the ABV. A quad is a minimum of 10% ABV. But there are many others that have higher ABV. Scottish wee heavies are a good example of that one(min of 15% ABV).

Source: Home brewer for 10 years, BJCP(Beer Judge Certification Program the standard for judging at contests) for 2 years.

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/ for those interested in learning more.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

Jutter

I stand corrected. May I reward you for curing me of my blabbering ignorance with a picture of a beer?

No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Shiranu

A picture while watching the Arsenal - Dortmund (Woot woot, Dortmund!) game today.

Had that and a Corona.

Corona - 6.5/10. Not amazing, but not as bad as I expected (much, much better than it's Americano brethren). Just a solid beer that, if something better like Guinness or a Belgian isn't available is certainly drinkable.

Heineken - 7.1/10. Again, not amazing, but I like it because of how different from the other beers I drink it tastes. Had an earthy-ness and lightness to it that I really liked. If I am looking something different from my dark beers this would probably be one of my first choices.

Up next, the mainstream Belgian... Stella Artois. Probably will do it tomorrow.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: SGOS on September 16, 2014, 04:48:59 AM
I don't drink beer anymore, but just looking at this thread suggests something I've always believed whole heartedly:  Any beer that represents quality and a good taste, doesn't come in a can. 

I made that observation at a college party one time to a bunch of people that were each on their tenth or twelfth can of beer, and they just looked at me foggy brained like what I said didn't register.  It would seem the point of drinking beer was just to get shit faced, which partly explains why they were all drinking Lucky Lager and Great Falls Select.

Same. Any party I've gone to with massive amounts of people would seem like the main point was for everyone to get piss-ass drunk, which I'm not really a fan of. Plus the beer they had was watered down piss water.... like Coors or Bud Lite. It doesn't taste good at all and the only point of that beer, IMO, is to get drunk off of it.

There are very few beers I like enough to actually let touch my tastebuds, and it's usually a stout or a belgian style beer.... or some seasonal brew. Other than that, I stick to liquor because I like the taste the best and it doesn't give me a stomach ache.

stromboli

Fat tire, amber ale.

Drank some at my daughter's wedding. Good stuff.

Shiranu

I don't get the appeal of beer to get smashed; if you want to get wasted, buy something that will do it quicker for cheaper... a cheap vodka or something.

I am not a huge liquor person though, but then when I drink to get drunk I'm not particularly paying attention to how it tastes anyways. The alcohol just drowns out too much flavour imo for them to be good.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on September 16, 2014, 07:55:56 PM
I don't get the appeal of beer to get smashed; if you want to get wasted, buy something that will do it quicker for cheaper... a cheap vodka or something.

I am not a huge liquor person though, but then when I drink to get drunk I'm not particularly paying attention to how it tastes anyways. The alcohol just drowns out too much flavour imo for them to be good.
You need to know how to mix it if you're making a cocktail. In most drinks it's usually only an ounce of base liquor in something like a rum and coke or a gin and tonic or even a white russian. anything more will drown out what it's supposed to taste like. Trust me, I'm a certified mixologist.

Plus always stay away from cheap liquor. That shit'll get you sick real quick.

Moralnihilist

A personal favorite if I have to buy a beer.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

Green Bottle

Quote from: Shiranu on September 16, 2014, 07:55:56 PM

if im on the beer i like something wi a bit of taste to it like Stella or Kronenberg, a case of either of those usually does the trick, if im looking to get wasted just add a few halfs of Famous Grouse or Whyte & Mackay an that'l do it.
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

stromboli

Quote from: Green Bottle on September 17, 2014, 10:58:29 AM
if im on the beer i like something wi a bit of taste to it like Stella or Kronenberg, a case of either of those usually does the trick, if im looking to get wasted just add a few halfs of Famous Grouse or Whyte & Mackay an that'l do it.

Lol. Whyte & Mackay will definitely do er'  :biggrin:

Yeah, getting beer drunk is not my thing. I never liked to get pasted in the first place, and beer for me is when the weather is hot and I'm working outside or otherwise generating a major thirst. And I frankly don't get into liquor enough to be anything like an afficionado. I like Scotch, single malt and blended, not real choosy. Used to be a single malt guy but either one is fine.

Green Bottle

Aye , when it comes to the Whisky im not too fussy tho i do have a few that i buy more than others , and like yourself Strom, Blended, Single malt, ill say Gimme Gimme...

A " dram" was the first article of hospitality presented to a stranger on entering a Highland hut. Not, however, till after the subjugation of the Highlands and the amalgamation of the two peoples, did whisky come to be regarded as a Lowland Scottish drink..
.....Old-world Scotland; Glimpses of its Modes and Manners ©Thomas Finlayson, 1844-1923

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Agramon

Been a big fan of Blue Moon Belgian White lately. Leinekugel's has some nice variety too (especially since I'm in Wisconsin).
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

I'm too cheap to pay 8 bucks for a beer that resembles something I could whip up in the kitchen with any number of odd tasting elements. I will stick with the plain yellow fizzy beer.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust